Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been to the dealer three times with a pinging problem. The service writer tells me that the after market air cleaner installed could be causing my pinging problems. I know he is full of #@%#. Has any one else out there had any pinging problems?? It pings almost all the time,cold,hot ,87octane,94 octane . I am going to change back to the factory box and see what happens. Any help???

·
Registered
77 Posts
Easily resolved, put the factory intake back on prior to returning back to your dealer and see what he says. Do you recall when this pinging started? CAI could theoretically lean out the A/F mixture causing ping but not likely.

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HEMI~C~ said:
Easily resolved, put the factory intake back on prior to returning back to your dealer and see what he says. Do you recall when this pinging started? CAI could theoretically lean out the A/F mixture causing ping but not likely.

Chris
The pinging started at approx 5000 mi. I hit the accelerator on entering the highway and nothing happened! I feathered the accelerator and it finally cought, and ever since i have had the pinging. the dealer re-set the computer last trip. It was ok for about 300 mi and started all over again.
As i speak, i am changing the air cleaner, and then going back!
al

·
Registered
476 Posts
My Silver 2006 SRT-8 has a tapping noise, but it's had it from day one. It seems to be louder when the engine is heat soaked after driving it for a while. It's almost like a loud lifter tap sound. Does it sound like that? I have almost 4000 miles on it now.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
BIGALSDAD said:
The pinging started at approx 5000 mi. I hit the accelerator on entering the highway and nothing happened! I feathered the accelerator and it finally cought, and ever since i have had the pinging. the dealer re-set the computer last trip. It was ok for about 300 mi and started all over again.
As i speak, i am changing the air cleaner, and then going back!
al
It's running lean, the dealer shouldn't need a factory rep to diagnose that, just hook a voltmeter to the O2 sensor and they'll see that it's running lean. There is no way the CAI is causing it to run lean, if it were, then they actually would make BIG hp gains. Well actually...where is the MAF on these cars? If it's in the intake and the CAI doesn't have it, then the CAI could be making it run lean.

Oh, and in the mean time run high octane gas.

Edited to add: according to the archives this car doesn't use a MAF. If the CAI is bringing in lots more air (not likely) this could cause a lean condition. Is there a way to manually richen the mixture on these cars? If there is you could give that a shot.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
There is no MAF, Marlinspike. It's a speed density system. There absolutely no way that a CIA is causing a lean condition or in any way causing "pinging". The CIA cannot "force" more air into the engine than the engine is asking for; it's not a blower afterall! Having said that, I would go ahead and put the stock airbox back on just so they can't used this excuse to not fix the car.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
kevenj said:
There is no MAF, Marlinspike. It's a speed density system. There absolutely no way that a CIA is causing a lean condition or in any way causing "pinging". The CIA cannot "force" more air into the engine than the engine is asking for; it's not a blower afterall! Having said that, I would go ahead and put the stock airbox back on just so they can't used this excuse to not fix the car.
Man, I can't believe they are using a speed density system. MB had MAFs back in the 60's (not computerized ones, but still).

I think the CIA might have the technology to force more air in while you are away from your car, but I agree CAI can't (instead of not likely I should have said not possible), and even if the CAI had the capability to let a lot more air in, since it's a speed density system the engine won't take the air.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stock air box back on... no pinging?????

kevenj said:
There must be someone else out there that has installed the K & N sysyem..Are they or anyone else have the pinging?????

·
Registered
91 Posts
XCITsNU

XCITsNU said:
My Silver 2006 SRT-8 has a tapping noise, but it's had it from day one. It seems to be louder when the engine is heat soaked after driving it for a while. It's almost like a loud lifter tap sound. Does it sound like that? I have almost 4000 miles on it now.
My SRT8 seems to be loud and gets louder when warm. I think it sounds as you described.

I would be interested in others comments also, maybe you want to start a seperate thread as to not hijack this one??

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
BIGALSDAD said:
There must be someone else out there that has installed the K & N sysyem..Are they or anyone else have the pinging?????

On the stock air intake there is a sensor that goes in the air tube near the throttle body. I've seen pictures of the Mopar CIA and there is a place for this sensor to be installed. Does your K & N intake have the provision for this? If not then that could very well cause a problem. I'm not sure exactly what that sensor does but I'm sure it's not there just for fun. If it is still intact then I cannot imagine any way a CIA could cause pinging. But again put the stock one back on and when it still pings take it back to them; at least they will not be able to use that excuse.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I haven't seen the sensor myself (car is 405 miles away, don't remember it from when I looked under the hood), but dollars to donuts says that's an air intake temp sensor, which the car uses to determine what mixture to use. If it's not there, it could very well cause it to ping (like for instance if the car for some reason thinks the air is much colder than it is, so it leans it out)..

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
marlinspike said:
I haven't seen the sensor myself (car is 405 miles away, don't remember it from when I looked under the hood), but dollars to donuts says that's an air intake temp sensor, which the car uses to determine what mixture to use. If it's not there, it could very well cause it to ping (like for instance if the car for some reason thinks the air is much colder than it is, so it leans it out)..

I think that's what it is, couldn't spit the name of it out earlier. If that's not there then sure, that could cause a problem. Can't think of any other way that a CIA could do any harm.

·
Registered
162 Posts
BIGALSDAD said:
I have been to the dealer three times with a pinging problem. The service writer tells me that the after market air cleaner installed could be causing my pinging problems. I know he is full of #@%#. Has any one else out there had any pinging problems?? It pings almost all the time,cold,hot ,87octane,94 octane . I am going to change back to the factory box and see what happens. Any help???

I wouldn't drive it if it's pinging. If you look at most of the cold air intakes they leave so many open holes that most of the air they draw in is hot air from the engine bay. That alone could add to a pinging issue.

What did you do with the Air intake temperature sensor? The air intake temp sensor is a 10K thermistor. It plugs into the rubber intake boot a few inches from the throttle body(On the stock intake). The thermistor's resistance increases as it gets colder so if it's not plugged in it will tell the PCM it's extremely cold out and the timing will advance and the dwell will change some. I know if the sensor gets too hot it throws a code. I'm not sure if it throws a code when it's not connected. This would be my first guess on the pinging. If you find the connector with nothing attached to the end of it(your looking for a black plug about 1 inch long with a tiny blue thermistor inside it. It's located to the left of your throttle body) If it's gone you can use a 10K resistor and this will tell the PCM the air entering the intake 70 degrees F until you get a replacement.

The other thing that you might try is to put a 20oz bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner in your tank. It's just good insurance to keep your injectors clean. I run two - 20oz bottles every 3,000 miles. If one of your injectors is somewhat clogged your overall A/F will be fine but that cylinder will run lean. The O2 sensors are adjusting two banks of 4 cylinders and can't really see a lean condition on just one cylinder.

·
Registered
85 Posts
300C_AWD said:
I wouldn't drive it if it's pinging. If you look at most of the cold air intakes they leave so many open holes that most of the air they draw in is hot air from the engine bay. That alone could add to a pinging issue.

What did you do with the Air intake temperature sensor? The air intake temp sensor is a 10K thermistor. It plugs into the rubber intake boot a few inches from the throttle body(On the stock intake). .

AWD actually that shouldn't be true. With the Mopar unit I just installed it includes a heat shield that sits between the entry point (called the air horn) and the tube and intake. These CAI systems are sophisticated enough these days to not make such a supid mistake as to leave "so many open holes that most of the air.." .. it's actually a very well built system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts