Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm debating whether it would be a good idea to go ahead and order the factory navigation system when I get my C or, not and just replace the original stereo with one of the ever improving aftermarket navigation/dvd player systems available. It would kill me to pay a few thousand and then a year from now find a system that's better than the factory for less. I'm a big fan of Sirius (already have it in the car and at home, even own some stock), and many of the aftermarket units have that as well. Hmmm, I wonder if I've already answered my own question, :). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My 300C does not have navigation because I will be replacing my factory headunit with a aftermarket navigation. Not that the factory navigation is crap but it doesn't play DVD's so I didn't see a point of spending $2500 for a unit that will not play DVD's. Im replacing my headunit with the Kenwood double din unit which plays dvd and also has a external navi unit. I heard the Pioneer Avic-n1 is a excellent headunit but I don't want a flip out deck instead something that is close to the oem navigation. Imo I would buy a aftermarket headunit, for the price of the oem you can pick up a top end headunit.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
There are a couples of ways to look at this. 1) I want to spend about $4000.00(min) to do an after market system. I know for a fact that the Pioneer is about $2000.00. Then you'll need amps, speakers and wiring to finish the job. Don't get me wrong it sounds great and does everything and then some. 2) The factory NavII system is outstanding from what members say on this forum. I played with it for bit when I orderd my car and seems to be perfect for my needs. If you want to watch DVD, someone will offer a converter soon. It's clean and set up for the car. Current reviews rate it as an excellent factory unit.
Unless you really have to spend the extra money to really blast it, I don't see a reason for the after market unit. We have a 2000 vette with the Pioneer, the amps and the speakers. It works well, but form what I heard when testing the car, the nav II will satify my needs.

·
Registered
477 Posts
sirius

300sea said:
So, I'm debating whether it would be a good idea to go ahead and order the factory navigation system when I get my C or, not and just replace the original stereo with one of the ever improving aftermarket navigation/dvd player systems available. It would kill me to pay a few thousand and then a year from now find a system that's better than the factory for less. I'm a big fan of Sirius (already have it in the car and at home, even own some stock), and many of the aftermarket units have that as well. Hmmm, I wonder if I've already answered my own question, :). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

how does the sirius perform in the house? what kind of antenna (external) is needed?

·
Banned
3,813 Posts
I should have my factory NAV system along with the Sirius here next week. I thought about going with the Pioneer but really like the factory look. The trim piece also has to be changed for this. There is always something bigger, better and flashier coming out but you won't go wrong either way.

2005 Silver 300C - it's home now!
2005 C6 Millennium Yellow Corvette convertible - on order

2002 Silverado HD - 8" lift + much more!
2002 Supercharged 8.1 Suburban - [email protected] 95.79

·
Registered
609 Posts
Whats up with that dvd converter i know alot of vendors look at this site so if you see this make a dvd converter for the factory kit.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah a DVD converter would be quite nice, i'm not sure that would be legal in every state though, right?

Sirius is great in the house. I've been a little disappointed with the antenna when used inside though. If you can get it outside (it's all weather), it works flawlessly. You can also listen online through their website for free (not true with XM, I believe), I do this at work all day!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
DVD plug in for oem navi systems are pretty high and honestly not worth it. I was looking for a similar product for my S430 Mercedes and the cost for one is way too high and not worth it. Factory look is one reason why I would go for the factory navi but you can get the factory look with the double din unit like the kenwood which is a nice unit. I guess you have to weigh both and see what you really want.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear ya, but I just wonder in how much those units will be in a year or two. Probably a lot less and the units will be even better than todays. I mean, how far off is nav on our cell phones, not too far off.

·
Registered
294 Posts
There are a few places that I have seen that if you send them your Unit, they will add Video in and such. You can then purchase a glove box DVD player TV tuner, etc. THis is what I am going to do. Probably will integrate a full computer system as well like I have in my 01 Durango. (have a 10.4" touch screen in the durango)

I called this place...and they said they can work with the 300C NAV. YOu just send it to them and they modify it, you get it sent back to you and plug it back in..whalaa. you now have inputs and outputs to use your screen (THis does NOT allow you to use your DVD drive where the nav disc is...it just allows you to integrate into the screen, which is all I want to do.:
http://www.mobilevideo4less.com/domestic.html

Just for them to mod it, its around 599 I think. I will also be putting headrest screens in too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts