Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend took the car for a bit of a drive and noticed something when hard on the accelerator after I had a Viezu tuning done to it.

When accelerating hard 1st, 2nd is all good, switches to 3rd and at about 3,000 revs the car bunny hops until about 3,250 revs then all good again. Car seems like it is fighting to push through, but something is limiting. Up till then it is bloody quick and straight after the same, just that 250 to 500 revs when it seems to struggle through.

Checked for fault codes and P0046 and P0673 come up. Anyone had these before and know what they are and actually mean and are they simple fixes?

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had this info back from Viezu -

"P0046 refers to your boost control solenoid"

I then was able to clear the codes with the V-Switch. Took the car for a drive and again the bunny hop and fault code P0046 came back.

Info from Viezu -

"boost control solenoid issue. If you replace this component it should sort out the issue that you are experiencing. This is the first avenue to explore to try and solve the issue."

Has anyone replaced this component, is it expensive? P0673 is still there also.

Maybe it is just a simple send the car to the mechanics :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Have you tried putting the original map back? see if it is the same, if the problem isn,t there its unlikely to be the solenoid,if you still have the problem get it properly diagnosed before buying parts.

Also check the wiring isn't chafed on the air con pipes beside the engine.

P0673 is no3 glow plug fault.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Fault Code: P0673

EOBD / ISO Description
Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit / Open

Component / System Description
Identify the type of glow plug control system. Glow plugs are usually controlled by a "Glow Plug Control Module" (can be integrated into the main Diesel control unit or, can be a separate unit which receives a control signal from the Diesel control unit). Depending on system design, full battery voltage can be applied to the glow plugs (possibly via a relay controlled by the control module) or, on many systems the circuit voltage / current is regulated by using a digital control signal (voltage / current is dependent on signal pulse width / duty cycle). Note that different types of glow plug can be specific to different types of control systems, and also note that the voltage / current level in the circuit can alter during the period of operation (including pre / post start conditions).

Meaningful description and quick check
Refer to vehicle specific information for the glow plug control system and design of glow plug; the exact interpretation of the fault code will depend on the system design; however, it is likely that the fault code relates to the glow plug control signal on the circuit between the control module and the glow plugs. The value of the control signal (e.g. voltage, frequency or current) in the control circuit is either incorrect (undefined fault but possibly caused by an open circuit). Check the circuit between the control module and the glow plug for short / open circuit and high resistance. Check the resistance of the glow plugs (refer to vehicle specific information especially for ceramic element glow plugs). Check power supply and earth connections to control module. The control module could be providing the correct control signal but it is being affected by a circuit fault. Note that it is possible that a manufacturer could apply the code to the circuit between the Diesel control unit and the glow plug control module; if necessary refer to Fault Codes P0383 and P0384 for additional information.

NOTE 1. Check for other fault codes that could provide additional information. NOTE 2. If a fault cannot be located with the applicable components or wiring, it may be necessary to check operation of the control unit (ECU). NOTE 3. Communication between control units / modules can pass through a CAN-Bus system; check for CAN-Bus related faults and fault codes

Fault Code: P0046

EOBD / ISO Description
Turbocharger / Supercharger Boost Control Solenoid "A" Circuit Range / Performance

Component / System Description
The boost control solenoid is generally used on turbochargers that have: Variable geometry, Variable vane /nozzle. The geometry change of the turbine blades or nozzle blades regulates boost pressure instead of a boost pressure wastegate. The solenoid controls the vacuum passing to the geometry control mechanism. If the turbo / supercharger does use a "wastegate" type of control mechanism, similar checks will apply.

Meaningful description and quick check
The value of the control signal (e.g. voltage, frequency etc) in the solenoid circuit is within the normal operating range / tolerance, but the signal might be incorrect for the operating conditions. It is also possible that the solenoid response (or response of system controlled by the solenoid) differs from the expected / desired response (incorrect response to the control signal provided by the control unit). Possible fault in solenoid or wiring, but also possible that the solenoid (or mechanism / system controlled by the solenoid) is not operating or moving correctly. Note: The control unit (ECU) could be providing the correct signal but it is being affected by a circuit fault. Note that the solenoid could be operating correctly but the vacuum valve being operated by the solenoid could be faulty (leaking etc). Also check for leaks or blockages in vacuum pipes Check that when vacuum is applied to the vacuum actuator, the boost control linkage / mechanism is moving correctly.

NOTE 1. Check for other fault codes that could provide additional information. NOTE 2. If a fault cannot be located with the applicable components or wiring, it may be necessary to check operation of the control unit (ECU). NOTE 3. Communication between control units / modules can pass through a CAN-Bus system; check for CAN-Bus related faults and fault codes.

When I changed a knackered turbo on the last CRuD his fault code was p0046 but he couldn't go over 40 mph and the turbo chirped big time,the inners of the exhaust manifold broke away and mangled the inners of the turbo

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow sounds a bit scary. I fault code with Turbo in it does not sound good.

I have three levels of maps, I had it on 2 before the weekend when I changed it to 3 (Sports mode) Before the re-map 3 no bunny hop, but again the car never went as hard as it is now (and it goes :) ).

Maybe the remap is too much, dont know. Or maybe the problem did exist but never evident.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You need to restore to the original map to eliminate the remap.

This should be your first move..not replacing parts without any proper diagnosis.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, restored the original map (wow feels so slow now :) ). P0046 does not come up anymore, but P0673 is still there.

Does this mean the map is too much for my turbo?

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you don't have the error without the map then the problem is with the remap not the car, you need to get Viezu to sort you a map that works or get a refund.

p0673 is indicating a faulty no3 glow plug, changing the glow plug should sort that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the response i received:

"When the car is in stock form it is not requesting anywhere near as much boost, meaning the boost control solenoid is working well within its limits, when we install the motorsport map the sensor is pushed closer to its limits, so if the sensor is faulty, it may only show this when more boost requested."

What you think? Would a new solenoid fix things? Dont even know where it is on the car?

They said also they will provide a milder map to resolve the issue. It is actually ashame cause the performance is brillant up til about 90 to 95km and then after the bunny hop (115km) it then continues as good as gold. But this only happens at full throttle.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The solenoid sounds like the turbo actuator that operates the variable vanes and this is part of the turbo and not a seperate part.

I think the boost is being pushed too far and could cause other issues.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
There is a guy/company on the net I found that states he can reset the actuators....I don't know how but he says he can...When I finally got that turbo off the guy/idiot the customer got it from said he had to have the old turbo complete with actuator as it had to be re-programmed but the new turbo came with a brand new actuator on it

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
I would just like to point out that the map the OP (Robbiekova) has installed on his car that is causing him problems is NOT one of our Stormtech maps.

I understand the OP had asked the tuners directly to create a further enhanced map to try and get even more power out of his car. To my knowledge the map he has had made could not have been tested on his car as he lives on another continent.

The Stormtech maps we had developed especially for us were thoroughly tested on the dynamometer to ensure they are within safe engine parameters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes Simon is correct. Just me trying to get more, sorry Simon did not mean to make people think it is your maps that caused the issue.

Just wish to confirm that your performance maps have caused no issues.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Yes Simon is correct. Just me trying to get more, sorry Simon did not mean to make people think it is your maps that caused the issue.

Just wish to confirm that your performance maps have caused no issues.

Thanks
No problem Rob, I just didn't want people putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 10 lol :wink:

BTW, the problem sounds like it is over boosting a little to me. Do you not have any companies in Australia that could set it up on a dyno for you?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
No problem Rob, I just didn't want people putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 10 lol :wink:

BTW, the problem sounds like it is over boosting a little to me. Do you not have any companies in Australia that could set it up on a dyno for you?
Simon,

I've just remapped my 300C with your Viezu V-Switch, (Yesterday) and I am well impressed.
Thanks for your help and advice.

Jack

·
Registered
34 Posts
Over the weekend took the car for a bit of a drive and noticed something when hard on the accelerator after I had a Viezu tuning done to it.

When accelerating hard 1st, 2nd is all good, switches to 3rd and at about 3,000 revs the car bunny hops until about 3,250 revs then all good again. Car seems like it is fighting to push through, but something is limiting. Up till then it is bloody quick and straight after the same, just that 250 to 500 revs when it seems to struggle through.

Checked for fault codes and P0046 and P0673 come up. Anyone had these before and know what they are and actually mean and are they simple fixes?

Thanks
WHOLE THE SAME !!!
When i write performance map i really impressed.That day everythings was good.
3 days ago i tried my car on highway.When i went to other city my car was really good.
When i come back my city something was wrong.
(When accelerating hard 1st, 2nd is all good, switches to 3rd and at about 3,000 revs the car bunny hops until about 3,250 revs then all good again. Car seems like it is fighting to push through, but something is limiting.)
When i go on D mode about 120km/h if i full throttle on 140km/h bunny hops also same story on 180km/h...
in addition to these when i be on the move if tachometer reduce about 1000 rpm then when i try to accelerate again the car was shaken (maybe i didnt explain that for example manual gear car when you on 5th gear but your car 20km/h )
I contact wtih Viezu.They said pls check DTC Codes.And i saw P0046 !!!
Tomorrow i hope i should apply algorithm.(once test drive check code if i see again i'll back stock mode.)
Thanks

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Yes they do smoke a bit ?:angryfirehttp://www.300cforums.com/forums/images/smilies/new/angryfire.gifhttp://www.300cforums.com/forums/images/smilies/new/angryfire.gif
Not as much as this.....lol

Bloody ipad not showing my sig of the burnout.....grrr

1 - 20 of 30 Posts