Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed that my front tires are "feathered." I have less than 2000 miles on the car, so the alignment must be pretty bad to do it so obviously so quickly.

I have had this on other cars, so I'll get an alignment (probably an independent shop, because aren't all dealers incompetent?) and rotate the tires to the back.

Might want to check yours....

·
Registered
731 Posts
Vanilla said:
Just noticed that my front tires are "feathered." I have less than 2000 miles on the car, so the alignment must be pretty bad to do it so obviously so quickly.

I have had this on other cars, so I'll get an alignment (probably an independent shop, because aren't all dealers incompetent?) and rotate the tires to the back.

Might want to check yours....

I would take it back to the dealer. Tell them to fix it and replace the tires.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
jeepgrady said:
I would take it back to the dealer. Tell them to fix it and replace the tires.
I absolutely agree jeepgrady. Although some dealerships' service depts. may have less-than-desired competency levels I would not paint them all with such a broad brush. You paid for, and deserve, a car in top condition. If you cannot achieve a comfort level and confidence at one dealership, move on to another. But to go to an independent source for service you are entitled to, IMO, is not only financially unsound, but may also be foolhardy given the newness of this model and relative unfamiliarity of non-DC service providers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HEMEEE said:
I absolutely agree jeepgrady. Although some dealerships' service depts. may have less-than-desired competency levels I would not paint them all with such a broad brush. You paid for, and deserve, a car in top condition. If you cannot achieve a comfort level and confidence at one dealership, move on to another. But to go to an independent source for service you are entitled to, IMO, is not only financially unsound, but may also be foolhardy given the newness of this model and relative unfamiliarity of non-DC service providers.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it foolhardy. We are talking about a toe adjustment on a chassis that has been around since the Merc E class.... The dealers can even handle it. I just hate dealers. I have never ever had a great experience with any of them and I don't want to even get into the "bad" experiences...

Get new tires might be a good idea, because the feathering can add a humming road noise....

·
Registered
563 Posts
Given it's basically an E class suspension, a Chrysler dealer is as new to this setup as if it were a total new design. They are not skilled at getting it right yet. So, what about taking it to a Mercedes dealer and ask them to align the car. :eek: It might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reluctantly took it to the dealer today. Took 3 hours for them to adjust the toe on the car. They rotated the tires to the back, but since I came to the dealer I wanted new tires. Got every stupid excuse in the book, but still insisted and they said the district manger finally approved it. Just to give you a taste, they told me at first that the tires are warrantied by someone else and they can't do anything for me. Huh? Do I have to go to the manufacture of the alternator when that goes out??? WTF? Anyway, tomorrow they will put on the tires.

I never trust any mechanics, so when I got the car home, I went to re-torque the wheels. Usually these types of rims take 90-100ft/lbs. And you need to do that in increments in a star patern. Well, I don't have a torque wrench that goes that high, but I think it's safe to say that some of the bolts were torqued to 500 or more ft/lbs. I literally had to stand on the long wrench I was using to break *some* of the bolts loose.

The key word is *some*. And uneven torque on wheel bolts is the number 1 cause of warped brake rotors. No Joke. Hopefully no damage was done. But you know bubba was having fun playing nascar tightening the bolts with an impact wrench that should never even touch the wheels when tightening...Duh duh....

Geez....

·
Registered
563 Posts
Improper torquing is always a problem when "shops" and dealers remove/replace your wheels. I always try and do this myself with a torque wrench. 50 ft-lbs in a star pattern while on the jack, then 100 ft-lbs once on the ground. Some shops, Tire Kingdom/Merchant's Tire and Auto, use a product called Torq-Stiks. The light gray one is for 100 ft-lbs. They are supposed to limit the torque. The guys put one of those on an impact gun and go to town again. I would prefer to see a regular torque wrench in use. If someone works on my car, rarely, I will loosen and retorque immediately when I get home.

For those that don't know.....Improper torqued lugnuts is the number one reason for brake rotor warpage in cars today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts