Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello chaps.

I feel a bit of a big girl's blouse for asking about this as my first post-ownership question.

I'm currently in Spain, bulb went, one of the high density D1S jobbies on a 2007 300crd.

Looked in the manual, kind of disregarded the must take to dealer stuff as typical manufacturer looking after dealer nonsense.

Went to local parts store, he had the bulb, so after my natural 'how funking much?' reply, paid the man - but as i was leaving he was clearly telling me to 'be careful/watch out' - but my spanish is not good enough to fully understand what he was saying.

doubled checked on here and found thread several years old which was actually pretty ambiguous. Fair to say a majority of you were saying to the bloke who had asked not to be ridiculous and just do it, but there were several replies saying it is a very dangerous job, life in your hands etc.

thing is i really have to get it in tonight before sundown as have a long drive ahead. wouldn't be easy to find a garage open even if i wanted one.

that thread was several years ago so hoping by now you'll have a clear idea of how many people have died (or made a mess of their electrics) changing these terror bulbs, or if it is hopefully straightforward enough & any precautions to take?

really appreciate any help

and sorry if i am being an over cautious big girl's blouse.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Better to be safe than sorry!

Hope this isn't too late for you, but changing HID bulbs is very straightforward. I think the only reason to be cautious is the possibility of touching a live contact on the connector if you have not made sure the lights and ignition are switched off first, as there can be high voltages around. The main problems are concerning access to the rear of the headlamps. On the passenger side, the air filter gets in the way and on the driver's side there is a HID module in the way (RHD vehicles) but both can be easily moved . You should have really bought two bulbs, because if one has failed the the other is sure to follow and with odd bulbs fitted you will have an imbalance in light output.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Pal, much appreciated.
I did actually ask for 2, but when he asked me for payment of 160€, so what's that now about £70 each bulb, i thought i'd just get the one and get another sharpish online. I haven't had a chance to check how mental that price is yet, but it sounds mental. Like i'd heard/was expecting these to be way over normal, but 80€?? 10 times more than i have ever paid for a bulb. Ironically the 300's lights are without question the worst i have ever had on a car. I'm suspecting the last owner may have bought some poor quality chinese rip offs when faced with the same bill for replacements.
:)

(i remember now why i didn't keep using the forum back in 2014 when i signed up. i have hellish difficulties ever getting back in. taken me 3 attempts to reply. every time i have to do a clear history and cookies fresh log in. links from mail dont let me, cant re-sign in on an open tab - is this normal?)

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
The 'be careful/watch out' admonishment is probably to warn you not to touch the glass of the bulb with your fingers as the oil on your skin will, due to the high operating temperature, cause the bulb to explode once it is lit.

BE WARNED!!!

But by now you already may have done it.

PS: The last one I replaced cost me $53 US on-line, genuine Sylvania it was too.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I did actually ask for 2, but when he asked me for payment of 160€, so what's that now about £70 each bulb,
I bought a pair of OEM quality (Osram) bulbs for half that price (incl. postage) from a UK on-line seller. However, the bulbs are much more expensive than the regular filament bulbs, although they are claimed to have a much longer lifespan.

I can't explain your difficulties in logging in to the forum, perhaps you could pose your problem on the Site Help Forum?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts