Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is already answered somewhere... I looked, but could not find.

I have a 2006 300C with the TPM. 3/4 tires say 30 PSI, one says 24 and the alerts are on my dash. My regular tire pressure gauge (pen-like one) doesn't work with the TPM sensors in the valve stems. I tried putting air in at the local Mobile station, but the #'s didn't change on my dash.

Went to BIG-O Tires, and they said they had some sort of adapter that works with those TPM sensors. Turned out they didn't. Called my dealership and their service dept was closed, so some idiot salesperson told me to call the 800 roadside assistance # to have them swap my tire. That's overkill... the tire's fine, just low.

So my stupid question of the day is... How the hell do you check the pressure of the tire without relying on the dashboard computer display... and how the hell do you put air in these tires? I'm blown away at how Chrysler has done such a great job at taking something so simple and made it so difficult. Do I have to remove the sensor?

Thanks in advance for your help. Again, I apologize if this has already been answered... seems like others would be in the same boat.

Frustrated,
300Chris

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also have a 2004 vette with tpm check them with regular gauge and fill with regular fitting on my air compressor. whats so different with the chrysler? I'm going to my dealer tomorrow and will also ask them why they are not standard like others.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi,

After reading your post, I became curious, since all three of my vehicles have TPMs. I looked at the 300C then looked at my 2002 T&C, and the TPM's on it are identical to the 300C. I looked at the ones on my 2002 Vette and they are very similar, except the valve stems are about 1/4" longer than the 300C and the T&C. I have never had any trouble checking and adding air to either my Vette or my T&C. I have not yet check the air pressure on my 300C since it is new.
The only thing that I can figure is that your air inflation gauge and/or nozzle is too deep and is bottoming out against the nut on the TPM, before it depreses the valve stem valve. I use a common pencil type tire pressure gauge and have never had any trouble checking the tire pressure on my cars. I have my own compressor and add air at home.

Phil

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to take a pic to show & tell, because all 4 are the same and this car is only 2 months old off the lot. I'm also going to call my dealership's service dept to see what's up. It's odd.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have checked my tire pressures several times; with the TPM and with tire pressure guages. I have used a standard pencil type, and the angled head type, both work fine. The TPM in the car matches what I read on my guages.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I guess at this point I feel like a tard because the problem was simple. The original stem caps left a small round rubber seal around the pressure sensitive stem which allows air to be released or put back in :)

So, once I realized this, I removed them and was able to do my thing.

Hopefully this post will help other folks who were left scratching their heads for a few days like me!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I haven't had a problem using any of 3 guages to check my tires, but I do find that the TPM system takes a few seconds before it provides an updated accurate reading.

Oh and 300Chris, don't feel toooooooooo bad about that 'tard thing, we've all been there from time to time.

Dante!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I feel a bit better now :)

Honestly, there were two things that messed with my head:

1. The inserted sensor looked odd because of the rubber seal so I figured it was some "new fangled Chrysler thing".

2. The guy (the manager!!) at Big-O tires said that Chryslers with the TPM sensors require some sort of adapter... and said that one of his guys at the shop had one, but he wasn't in that day. "You could go to Chrysler and buy one but they're about $1,000!"

So, #1 as just out of stupidity (just remove the rubber seal around the valve stem pin) and #2 was I was gullible enough to believe him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts