Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a pure one for my first oil change, but Iwas wondering, with there being a half dozen or so out there for the SRT8, whaich one's the best, does it really matter, are there any that should be avoided at all costs? I've heard fram is no good, what about their toughguard?

·
Registered
208 Posts
marnepup said:
I just got a pure one for my first oil change, but Iwas wondering, with there being a half dozen or so out there for the SRT8, whaich one's the best, does it really matter, are there any that should be avoided at all costs? I've heard fram is no good, what about their toughguard?
Check out this now famous link:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

"with there being a half dozen or so"
There are probably 100 oil filter brands available for our car! Our filter is nothing special... cars have been using our EXACT SAME FILTER for over 40 years. At one time, they were used on just about every Ford & Chrysler made. In the early 70s, the trend shifted toward the short filter found on our car (due, in part, to cramped engine rooms), but the short and long versions are identical (except for the length).

HTHs
-Steve

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Wix or Napa Gold (#1085) are far superior to the OEM which is made by purolator. If you doubt this statement invest about $12 in one of each and cut them both open - - you'll see what I mean. Then if you really want to get an eye-opener, cut open a fram. you will not believe what you see (or rather DON'T see) in there.

Most NAPA stores will have a cutaway display of the Napa Gold filter along side a Fram as a very effective sales tool - - the fram is bottom of the barrel so that's what is always compared... but I have seen cutaways of Purolator as well - - much better than Fram but still not anywhere in the league of the Napa Gold filter. (by the way WIX is the same filter - - would be #51085 for the WIX).

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks...I've got a pure one in the trunk now, I'll use that, then switch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is good info. I just bought the FramToughgaurd. I will return it and go to Napa.

·
Registered
148 Posts
kevenj said:
Wix or Napa Gold (#1085) are far superior to the OEM which is made by purolator. If you doubt this statement invest about $12 in one of each and cut them both open - - you'll see what I mean. Then if you really want to get an eye-opener, cut open a fram. you will not believe what you see (or rather DON'T see) in there.
No doubt, Ive used Wix and Napa Gold extensively, they have by far the largest number of part numbers, because they make a filter for any new application instead of seeing what they have on the shelf thats "close enough". Wix makes them both, when I used both for fleet trucks we got in a bunch of Napa Gold that had stickers for labels, when you peeled them off it had the Wix label underneath.

·
Registered
709 Posts
So the oil filter #5281090 that wyckoff sells is for the SRT8?
If so I definately have to get a case. and order some oil through AAFES.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ahbizmal said:
So the oil filter #5281090 that wyckoff sells is for the SRT8?
If so I definately have to get a case. and order some oil through AAFES.
Yes, the 1090 is the SRT8 filter and just about every 6 & 8 cylinder Chrysler has ever built.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts