Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys - we've had 'hunt the engine oil' & 'hunt the tyre' competitions before ...... now its 'hunt the transmission fluid'

·
Registered
699 Posts
Comma do it, about £20 to £25 for 5 litres (they also sell it in 1 litres bottles) its the right spec and your local parts store (not halfords) will stock it

And if you are doing a transmission service a filter and sump gasket will cost around £15 to £20 (MAHLE part number HX 81D)

What's the prize!!!! LOL

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
Cost about £55 for the large 5 litre bottle of the Genuine Mercedes Benz oil specifically for the 722.6 although they also come in smaller 1 litre bottles. If you purchase the oil from MB dealership, you get a MB receipt which you can keep in your service book. They do occasionally pop up on ebay though haven't seen it that much cheaper. The oil is pink in colour to start with and smells like sweet/ester. As it degrades it turns to brown colour and then smells like burnt smell, that's when you get problems i.e. slippage on a cold morning.

·
Premium Member
13,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks chaps - never seen that Comma stuff before cos it didnt pop up when I searched +4 .... presumably due to it being a multi spec fluid. I'm going to get 2 & re-do the change a few days after the first to dilute the stuff still in the TC. It'll be a suction job - I see no great purpose in the crappy filter. My car has 54000 on the clock & shows no problems changing etc, but I'm starting to detect an underlying 'milkfloat' noise

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
go all out man...

This is what I filled mine with... she's smooth as butter.

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
Crappy filter? Best do the filter, you only need to drop the pan & renew the seal. Its not as bad as it sounds.

·
Premium Member
13,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, its one step above pointless. I'll do without replacing it, ta. I'm changing the fluid at 50% of the indicated interval, so it should cope til next time

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've opened a couple of filters and never found anything, but you do get a bit of scum around the sump magnet.
I changed the fluid on a 130,000 mile car and it was the same as a 45,000 mile one

Having said that, its an easy job with a sucker and won't do any harm, but it maybe worth checking the connector plug seal on the box while in the area

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
Don't worry, you just need a bit of confidence. If your using the suction method, you can withdraw a little out if overfilled. Still think you should do the filter though at 60K with MB receipts for peace of mind.

Here look this is how you measure

transmission vid - YouTube

1 - 13 of 13 Posts