Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we finally got some nice snowfall here in MN. I have been commenting how well the C works on ice.(We had a few ice storms) I have been commenting on people that say they have problems in snow. A few said they had problems in 2" of snow. I thought that sounded crazy and could not be possible. But I said I guess I will shut up until I can test myself.

Well.....I drove 1 hour on back roads (which is a normal dry road commute time) (as it would have taken 3 on the freeway) The roads were not plowed at all. Approximately 5-7 inches of snow. I flew through that stuff like I was in my Durango. I am very impressed.

I did have a little mishap, but not a big deal. When I got into my culdesac I decided to turn off the ESP and do a few donuts. BOY DID I EVER...I created a burm around the car where I could not drive through as it went up over the bumper! hehe So...yeah...I got my 300C stuck....but in snow that was burmed up to my knees (I am 6'4") I shoveled the burm away and drove into driveway with no problems.

So yes....with an experienced driver, the 300 C is amazing in snow. I passed lots of other rear wheel and front wheel drive vehicles that were stuck. I helped push a coworker out in her BMW....she could not even move. Another coworker got his front wheel drive stuck as well.

One word explains my drive home in the snow.

IMPRESSED!

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
HeHe.... Snow + 300C + Experience = FUN :D :D :D

BTW, it was -41 here this morning with the windchill. Clear and dry. For all of you obsessing over ColdAirIntake, let me just say this - My car was accelerating like a rocket today. Only explanation I can come up with is the dense cold air going into the engine. Very, very fast!!!

Sorry Nolmscheid, didn't mean to hijack the thread . . .

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yup, got to drive the 300C in the same snow today, I live in the southern burbs of the cities. I was impressed with how it did, but the launches are slow.. I turned off the ESP for the entire trip home... I don't mind people looking at me as I accellerate sideways in the snow. =)

All in all it does pretty good! But 6 inches seems to be the limit for reasonable driving in it... I am considering getting snow tires on the factory rims and getting new rins to run in the summer

On the other side our little PT GT just plows through the stuff in it's typical scrappy little nature. Also a good snow belt vehicle.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In St. Michael and the areas I was driving, we were definately over 6 inches of snow. It was more around 8" I would guess. I could hear it hitting the front bumper! :)

Yeah, with ESP on it is slow take offs, but once you get going its great. Driving on snow is so great. Its so darn quiet!!! I had my heater hot on the windows to melt any snow right away...had my coat off and had the window rolled down a bit (since it gets so hot with the heat blowing up there). Very fun drive home...I had a blast.

Northern...I know what you are talking about. We had that cold weather last week. I took a trip to ND to visit my wifes grandparents and it was -25 (-40 wind chill) You are right...that sucker has pep when its cold like that.

This is definately my favorite vehicle I have had. (First car I have owned...all others are SUV and trucks. )

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
At one point there were many people complaining about how the C handled in snow. After I drove in snow (several times) in the motor city I realized that it was not the car but the person driving.

This car handles well with ESP/traction (haven't tried w/o)and like Nolm. said I got myself stuck just to see if how it would act. Turning right to left and a/s in 2 and then rev., end of story stuck became unstuck.

I like this car!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Will test it in NJ later today and tomorrow. Suppossed to get 6-12 inches. Had dusting the other day (1"). I was tentative at first cause I was not used to the feel. Next thing I know I'm cruising and not even thinking about it.

Bob

·
Registered
188 Posts
We're looking at 8-10 in the DC Metro. My C won't see a bit of it though! My trusty Ford Ranger will do the job. I'm glad to hear that if I had to drive it in snow that it handles well. Stay safe guys and watch out for black ice! :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
They're forecasting 20 - 30 inches in the Boston area tonight into Sunday morning. I had a problem in 4 inches of snow so I'm hoping its better in 2 feet!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
See, I've been telling you folks about this car in ice and snow since last October when I was first to post on the C's handling abilities in this weather. It is a dream, and for you folks who insist on putting snow and/or ice tires on your car then fine, if it makes you feel comfortable then do it, but it is not needed, save your money and do the mods that you normally wouldn't or couldn't afford to do.

If and when my Contis need changing then I will invest in better tires, or if DC recalls these tires then I will laugh all the way to the bank. I wish Michelin had the size for our cars,like the Pilots I had on my 300M. :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just to let you know no snow predicted today or for the next couple years here, although they did have snow flurries and blizzard conditions on the peaks of Mauna Kea last week, really! :D

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Mikeyjohn said:
See, I've been telling you folks about this car in ice and snow since last October when I was first to post on the C's handling abilities in this weather. It is a dream, and for you folks who insist on putting snow and/or ice tires on your car then fine, if it makes you feel comfortable then do it, but it is not needed, save your money and do the mods that you normally wouldn't or couldn't afford to do.

If and when my Contis need changing then I will invest in better tires, or if DC recalls these tires then I will laugh all the way to the bank. I wish Michelin had the size for our cars,like the Pilots I had on my 300M. :D
Hey, Mikeyjohn - I know you Albertans really have a lot of hair on your chests (and maybe on your palms, too), but I'm here to tell ya that my new 18" Pirelli Scorpions Ice & Snow will wump your wimpy, leaky bladder Conti's any day.

So there. :p

As to you, hawaiian lava, I've only got 2 words:
:p :p

from the grump, freezin' his lugnuts off in Ottawa

·
Registered
52 Posts
Never Have Or Never will for some years

I haven't drove my 300 in snow yet and probably won't for a while. I have had it since July and I only 3400+ miles on it. It's been out once since the beginning of November and that was only to fill up the tank for winter storage. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Northern Rider said:

lol, Northern Rider, gee I should have gotten AWD, could of taken the car to the beach today, 78 and sunny, 3-5 foot waves, women in bikinis, 300c on the beach, priceless :D

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
hawaiian lava said:
lol, Northern Rider, gee I should have gotten AWD, could of taken the car to the beach today, 78 and sunny, 3-5 foot waves, women in bikinis, 300c on the beach, priceless :D
:( ... think I'm gonna hafta change my name to Southern Rider... bikinis you say . . . damn :(

·
Registered
310 Posts
I also ventured out in the deep stuff...

The car did great with traction and steering! Very stable.

I had to park in a lot that wasn't plowed, and it was very deep there...I got stuck 3 times.

It really wasn't a problem, the snow was thick and everyone was getting stuck too, so I didn't feel bad.

ESP is nice!

I found that pumping the gas a little bit helps the car get moving faster from a stop sign, than just applying steady pressure (which also works well).

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Northern Rider said:
Hey, Mikeyjohn - I know you Albertans really have a lot of hair on your chests (and maybe on your palms, too), but I'm here to tell ya that my new 18" Pirelli Scorpions Ice & Snow will wump your wimpy, leaky bladder Conti's any day.

So there. :p

Now that hurt!!! Just for that I am going to shave my palms, so there!!!! :

·
Registered
223 Posts
I still say this car is no good in the snow. I just did a little shoveling around the car so I could get in. I tried to get out the driveway and it wouldn't move. Measured about 28 inches of snow :)

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
coolvanilla said:
I still say this car is no good in the snow. I just did a little shoveling around the car so I could get in. I tried to get out the driveway and it wouldn't move. Measured about 28 inches of snow :)
Only 28"! Wimp! Better trade her in for a Hummer. :p

·
Registered
770 Posts
15" here in NJ where i live. Temps in single digits. Warm climates sounding pretty good right now. Though I do like the change of seasons but am sick of winter already. I would have to say driving this car in winter snow is an acquired taste. FWD cars do seem better. Hey but we do sub 6 0-60's.

Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts