Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gang,

Well, here's the latest update on my new 300. I am getting ready to cross the 1600 mile milestone on the car, and the third month of ownership is three weeks away. I am getting ready to have the first service visit for the oil to be changed. I'm planning to switch from dino oil to synthetic, due to the concerns that I have been reading regarding the oil sludge accumulation in the 2.7 V6 engine, which my car has. What should I have the technician go over? Any concerns among the members of the board, that should be brought up? So far, knock on the dashboard, no problems yet. I was reading about some cars where the differential leaked and caused problems and transmissions leaking in the "C", and a few other odds and ends some of the members are talking about. I know that some of these questions may be tough, because most of the owners have the 300C rather than some of the lower model lines. Believe me, if I could have afforded the "C", I would have done it!, but I am very happy to be an owner of a 300, nonetheless. It really doesn't matter that I don't have 300+ horsepower, or is the fastest car on the planet, but what does matter to me is the fact that the car is reliable and fun to drive and to watch the look on peoples faces when I come up to the stoplights, and just look at the car.

Let me know what I need to cover with the technician, and I will make sure that everything is looked over. Thanks again for everything.

Sincerely yours,

Brian T. Carotenuto

·
Registered
731 Posts
Why would you be getting an oil change with only 1600 miles? Wait for 3000. Don't worry about the 3 months, wait for 3000 miles.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Corvette guys recommend changing oil at 500 miles on the first oil change because there is alot of metal particles from engine break in in oil. It may be cautious but good insurance in my book.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Changing your oil at 500 miles is absurd. I've purchased about 30 vehicles in my life, mostly new. I always change my oil every 3000 miles, no more, no less. Never had a problem. Anything more is just a waste of money.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've always been told that the first oil change should be done between 500-1000 miles, then every 3000 after then. Again, it was due to the same reasons that Billy94Z has mentioned (small metal particles from the engine breaking in). Its not going to hurt to change it early, and we're not talking about a large amount of money here (30.00 or so). If it makes you feel comfortable, then go for it. I had my first oil change at 800 miles and have gone every 3000 since. Whether it was a waste or not who knows, but I too would rather be cautious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts