Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was in for its first service today - and got its new (replacement) wheels finally fitted as well as a replacement Startech Grille. As far as the wheels were concerned the car was shown to Murray Motors two months ago and the mandatory photographs taken for Chrysler. It was agreed that the wheels should be replaced but none were forthcoming. I phoned Murray Motors on Monday and asked if my wheels were in stock yet to be told they were not. Got a phone number for Chrysler UK and gave their Customer Services a ring. Phoned back an hour later to be told that there was a long list of people waiting and my name seemed to have been missed off it. A muttered claim that the dealer had ordered the wheels the wrong way. I phoned back to the dealer and repeated the claims to the Service Manager and suggested that someone was telling lies and it was in his interests to contact Chrysler and resolve the problem. He phoned me back shortly afterwards to tell me that Chrysler were claiming that the wheels should have been ordered VOR (Vehicle Off Road) - but no vehicle would ever be put off the road due to the surface of the wheel peeling - it is a cosmetic defect. However meantime he had managed to magic me up a set of wheels to be fitted today.
The Service cost came to a total of £307.79 incl VAT. One item that got to me though was "Carry out Emission Control Service. Restores lost power. Reduces misfiring, rough idling and stalling problems. Reduces toxic exhaust emmision. Helps to protect the engines from expensive internal problems." This at a cost of £25.65 plus VAT. Did I just pay that for someone to pull Fuse 11??? Or was it £12.65 to pull the fuse and £13.00 to replace it?? Ach well it's only money and I am as well giving it to Murray Motors/Chrysler for something I enjoy as give it to Gordon Brown and his pet Panda, Darling and really resent it.
Cheers John

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
I'd be asking what it was they done? That sounds like a load of bull to me.

They probably put some Fortech engine flush and fuel system treatment in it and that's probably the name they dreamt up for it. lmao

If it's not the treatments then why was it not part of the standard service? After all isn't that what a service is for??

mmm, now what can i dream of to make some money today????

What about "Reduction of emissions service" Reduces emissions, Makes car travel smoother and reduces that soft saggy suspension feeling when driving, makes car go around corners better. ( £24.95 +vat, over inflate tyres ) Lmfao!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Belmont Aberdeen charged me £246.00 for the first service. Although better than yours, it's still steep for an oil change .....

Did notice they oiled the door hinges though. Always good!

Belmont have a poster in their workshop about the emission control service, but I assume that's only an extra if you asked for it. The car diagnostics should report any anomolies anyway when the car is plugged in to their computer. Money for old rope I think .....

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
so you reckon your car is plugged into the diagnostics when its in for a service do you?.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Did any of you guys enquire about the ticking noise from the engine?
I will be putin my car in for a service in the very near future to Murray Motors in Stirling.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I thought the ticking was just a characteristic of the diesel engine and the lack of sound proofing. Should I be going back and complaining about it?!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I had Belmont look at this issue last month.

They tell me the ticking is a characteristic of the engine hydraulic tappets.

Nothing whatsoever to do with the TSB as I forwarded them a copy of it at the time. I got a loan demo car with less miles, and the ticking coming from that was actually louder than my one.

Diesel engines are generally noisier than petrol, but with the 14p difference between Diesel & Petrol, the 6.1 Hemi will soon be more economical to run LOL

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
3,733 Posts
I would assume so .... how else would they know if there had been any fault codes that may need seen to?
I'm inclined to agree with UK CHRYSLER 300C on this, as he's in the trade and should know. I can believe that garages don't spend time looking for fault codes unless its directly relevant to the job in hand. I'm not even sure they would always do this even when relevant. I would be surprised if there is time allocated within a routine service for this activity, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I had Belmont look at this issue last month.

They tell me the ticking is a characteristic of the engine hydraulic tappets.

Nothing whatsoever to do with the TSB as I forwarded them a copy of it at the time. I got a loan demo car with less miles, and the ticking coming from that was actually louder than my one.

Diesel engines are generally noisier than petrol, but with the 14p difference between Diesel & Petrol, the 6.1 Hemi will soon be more economical to run LOL
Hydraulic tappets is exactly what it sounds like to me, but only at idle and in first gear. As soon as the revs get up it's fine. It's almost like the oil isn't being picked up at low revs or thats how I picture it in my head. I have no idea what the inside of an engine looks like!

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with UK CHRYSLER 300C on this, as he's in the trade and should know. I can believe that garages don't spend time looking for fault codes unless its directly relevant to the job in hand. I'm not even sure they would always do this even when relevant. I would be surprised if there is time allocated within a routine service for this activity, but I could be wrong.
You're absolutely right,no time allocation for diagnostics and they wont read it unless the idiot light comes up on the dash,(which it wouldnt be cos you would have already have had it in for diagnostcs)besides its robbing them of cash cos they love to charge for "It needs to go on the diag machine sir"

·
Registered
347 Posts
so what do they do on the first service of any significance apart from change the oil ? anything?

I have booked mine in for the first service 1 week into august, so that will be 12500 miles in 5 months and 1 week, Jeez and I timed it so well as the diesel price has not stopped going up since the day I bought it :(

regards

elpirata

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They fill up your windscreen washer bottle - but I had filled mine up before so I was left a bottle of concentrated washer fluid rather than not charge me for that item in the service. But Murray's do a pretty fair job and I am well satified with their overall performance up to date.
Cheers John

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
look in your handbook,the service schedules are in there,nowt to the service really,oil,filter,wipe it with an oily rag,etc,etc,mine has never seen a Chrysler service,my services are more thorough,its MY car

1 - 16 of 16 Posts