Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I apologize if this is a repost. I was vacationing in the Bahamas when this was published:

2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8 First Test - Motor Trend

I hoped for better than 13.0 flat @ 110 mph in the quarter mile. Here are the stats and info:

BASE PRICE $48,995 (est)
PRICE AS TESTED $52,345 (est)
VEHICLE LAYOUT Front engine, RWD, 5-pass, 4-door sedan
ENGINE 6.4L/470-hp/470-lb-ft OHV 16-valve V-8
TRANSMISSION 5-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST) 4387 lb (54/46%)
WHEELBASE 120.2 in
LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT 200.3 x 74.2 x 58.3 in
0-60 MPH 4.5 sec
QUARTER MILE 13.0 sec @ 110.2 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 114 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.88 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 25.8 sec @ 0.72 g (avg)
EPA CITY/HWY FUEL ECON 14/23 mpg (est)
ENERGY CONSUMPTION, CITY/HWY 241/147 kW-hrs/100 miles (est)
CO2 EMISSIONS 1.14 lb/mile (est)

They complained about the 5-speed transmission, as I expected, but other than that, they were very impressed with it. Here is their final quote:

"A rewarding machine that the Germans should keep a careful eye on".

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Comparing apples to apples though, it is a couple tenths and couple mph faster then what THEY got out of the older version. Old version with a tune versus new model stock would be very close.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Loved the lap around Willow Springs where the driver discovered the subtle balance of the car and the easy transition from understeer to oversteer.
This is why EVERY owner should track their car just once! These cars are outrageously easy to drive at the limit and very race ready almost straight off the showroom floor.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Comparing apples to apples though, it is a couple tenths and couple mph faster then what THEY got out of the older version. Old version with a tune versus new model stock would be very close.
I wonder when a tune will be available for the 6.4L Hemi. There is no way I'm trading my car for one of the new 6.4L SRT8s [unless a tune makes a big difference]. If I had to buy a car tomorrow, I would probably get the CTS-V. I just saw a local deal with 0% financing and 18% off MSRP on a brand new 2011 CTS-V! :) I'm not crazy about the exterior styling of the CTS-V, but then again I'm not crazy about the exterior styling of the new 300 either.

Loved the lap around Willow Springs where the driver discovered the subtle balance of the car and the easy transition from understeer to oversteer.
These big cars are a real pleasure to drive fast. It always surprises my friends and co-workers when I take them out for a quick blast.

damnnnn the red interior looks very awesome!
I totally agree. The interior design and materials are fanatastic. I'll take black interior though.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well said and agreed. There certainly isn't enough of a performance difference for me to want to take a beating on a trade in and or sale of my current car. The cost of my thermostat,catch can,predator and paramount converter pale in comparison....and once my converter is actually in, I'm confident my car will run 12.80ish all day long. Converters been sitting in the garage for awhile now...just haven't done it yet.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Considering that MT posted 13.0 for the 392 Challenger and most owners are running anywhere from 12.5 to 12.7 with the occasional 12.3 thrown in... MT's 1320 times are usually conservative.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts