1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Sounds good, but aren't some of us already getting these numbers? I say through in a supercharger and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, some of us are getting those number already, but I'm sure those that buy the one with the 6.4L Hemi will be getting even BETTER results. The mags never get as good results as the owners do.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Keep in mind this vehicle weighs about 500lbs more than the Gen1 models, IIRC.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It needs a supercharger. Hopefully the rumor is true.

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
It needs a supercharger. Hopefully the rumor is true.
My Uncle's Ecoboost MKS gets roughly 22mpg using Twin Turbo and Direct Injection. From what I know, it weighs just as much or more than the Charger/300. Maybe TT would be a good project for Chrysler instead of supercharged Hemis. Superchargers are considerably more thirsty than turbos.

...and yes, I do know that TT's lack the early pull of our V8's.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Maybe TT would be a good project for Chrysler instead of supercharged Hemis. Superchargers are considerably more thirsty than turbos.
I am all for factory forced induction on any MOPAR V8 regardless of form. Nobody looking at a 6.4 is thinking gas mileage, esp if there were ever a forced induction version. They need to reserve the Superbee moniker for a twin screw 6.4 that eats CTS-V's, and poops M5's.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes, the recent Superbees are nothing more than a tarted up SRT8 with hideous decals all over them, IMO. Ditto for the Daytona versions of the Charger. Chrysler needs more than decals and special paint colors to make their top models special. They need to take note of what Ford has done with the Mustang. I am by no means a Mustang guy, but I like all the available options for the engines. While Chrysler bolts an exhaust and intake on and retunes the suspension for the Daytona, Ford provides all kinds of special edition Mustangs with real improvements.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Keep in mind this vehicle weighs about 500lbs more than the Gen1 models, IIRC.
My Uncle's Ecoboost MKS gets roughly 22mpg using Twin Turbo and Direct Injection. From what I know, it weighs just as much or more than the Charger/300. Maybe TT would be a good project for Chrysler instead of supercharged Hemis. Superchargers are considerably more thirsty than turbos.

...and yes, I do know that TT's lack the early pull of our V8's.
Only a couple hundred extra pounds, 4360 fully trimmed.

Norm, we have 3 ecoboost vehicles in our family. ALL of them get about 17-18 mpg unless babied. I've never seen the advantages. Plus I'm really interested in how they will fare long term. One extremely complex design, sweet, but no economy I've seen!

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Yes, the recent Superbees are nothing more than a tarted up SRT8 with hideous decals all over them, IMO. Ditto for the Daytona versions of the Charger. Chrysler needs more than decals and special paint colors to make their top models special. They need to take note of what Ford has done with the Mustang. I am by no means a Mustang guy, but I like all the available options for the engines. While Chrysler bolts an exhaust and intake on and retunes the suspension for the Daytona, Ford provides all kinds of special edition Mustangs with real improvements.
How true! The Boss 302 is a fine example of taking a mass produced muscle car and tuning it to road track specs - and selling it at an affordable price.

I hope now that Sergio has created a separate SRT brand division and put a gearhead, such as Ralph, in charge - that we will start to see some real Mopar Magic that we can order from a dealer - on a new car - with a warranty.

Is that too much to ask for?

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I think SRT has some good stuff planned for the future. Here is what I think their plan is (or should be?):

Step 0: Done - Better interiors. Love the new 300 interior and Charger interior is a big improvement too.
Step 1: Done - New more powerful 6.4L engine with better fuel economy and tons of torque.
Step 2: Future - Factory supercharger with full powertrain warranty, just like Ford (Mustang Cobra), and GM (CTS-V, ZL1).
Step 3: Future - Improved transmission option for SRT models (Hopefully 8-speed).
Step 4: Future - Aluminum block engine option to reduce weight in the front of the car and improve weight balance.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
I don't know if I would be wanting an 8 speed trans unless just for racing not dd. The things realy have problems in stop go traffic to much up down shifting unless using manual mode. When I test drove the M5 before buying my C it was rubbish in auto mode had to drive like a stick all the time no thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
not

I don't know if I would be wanting an 8 speed trans unless just for racing not dd. The things realy have problems in stop go traffic to much up down shifting unless using manual mode. When I test drove the M5 before buying my C it was rubbish in auto mode had to drive like a stick all the time no thanks!
Please note this a ZF box already in use in BMW among others. Not at all comparable to that clunker of a DSG in the M5!

Expect better performance, better economy and smooth shifting!

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
My S550 has a 7-speed transmission and I've driven a ZF 8 speed in the Audi A8 L.

The promise of better fuel economy usually comes down to an "economy mode" where the car seeks the highest gear as soon as possible which seriously hurts early torque/ takeoff power.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steve is right. My friends Lexus IS-F has a ZF 8-speed transmission, and you would never know it was shifting when driving casually. When you put your foot to the floor it is always revving in the sweet spot of the power band. As an added bonus, it gets great fuel economy. It pulls off shifts in .1 second. There really is only one downside: There is A LOT of shifting, and it's difficult to use the paddles without hitting the rev limiter. Put it in sport automatic mode and it's easy to drive fast and you don't need to think about when to shift, and you get rev matched downshifts.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
It's functionality will come down to programming.

Each application is very different, and it may be unwise to compare other applications. The 6.4 is HUGELY torque-y, and will not need tons of shifting to get the job done.

I have faith in our boys at SRT.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts