Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the first run was a disaster. I just spun the wheels with traction on and I had to let go of gas for it to grab again. So that run was trash.

the second run I got a [email protected]

so I looked at other slips for other SRT8 and I found one that had the same MPH but a lot better time.

here it is side by side

ME another SRT8

R/T .262 .317
60' 2.285 1.758
330' 5.908 5.222
660' 8.795 8.122
MPH 85.09mph 85.57mph
1000' 11.303 10.606
1/4 mile 13.418 12.726
MPH 105.92mph 105.63mph

should I be doing a lot better. I know my starts SUCK but from those numbers am I able to get into mid to low 12s.

Basically I want advice and anything you guys see from those numbers or just thoughts. btw this was my first time at the track.

thanks

my mods are MOPAR intake, high flow cats, corsa exhaust, and diablo 91CAI tune.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
weather

without knowing the weather during your attempt you cannot begin to compare it to other runs.

Learn about Density Altitude Corrections, and then you can begin to see why the times are only comparable if the two cars ran side by side at the same track!

Strip times are just like Dyno numbers, just for brag anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Generally speaking...

Looking at your time slip vs the other SRT...your 60 Ft. is the major difference. Generally every .1 you can improve your 60 ft. will result in a .2 second improvement in your E.T., so that's why he beat you by approx .6 (a little more then .2 per .1, but close).

What tires are you running? How about the other guy...did you get a look at what tires he had? With a 60 ft. in the 1.7 range he may also have an upgraded torque converter.

How about his launch technique vs your's?

Lots of factors involved with E.T., but from your MPH you and he are making about the same H.P.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know my major downfall is my 60'. So to improve that what can i do besides practice and practice. I know some guys lower the PSI in the back. Everyone seems to smoke the tires before going up, I never did. Should I leave it in drive or put it into autostick.

BTW I got a 3.86 sec to 60mph on the onramp to Bay Bridge. I get to do it there because you are at a dead stop and than have to speed up to freeway speeds =). Also there is a slight incline and I got those times twice. I feel like I had MUCH better traction on the Bay Bridge than I did at the track.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Launching a high horse power car with street tires is an art form, and as you stated there is no replacement for practice.

If you have street tires smoking them before the run is not going to help, but lowering the pressure will help the tires bite, somewhere around 20-25 PSI, but your going to have to test which pressure works best for your car and tire combo, for the track conditions on the day you run.

As for better traction and times on the bay bridge...what kind of surface is it (i.e. concrete, blacktop, etc.)? The incline may be messing with the acceloromoter so I would not trust those times, but I wouldn't erase them either! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think its concrete. but I dont think my car actually does a 3.86 to 60 because cars costing 10x mine get that. lol but i like to look at it once in a while.

but i guess I 'll just keep practice

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'll hopefully be taking my first try at a track tomorrow, and your post has gotten me a little nervous. I've kicked the back end out just flooring it on the road, let alone the track. Hmm - to disable ESP or not...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll hopefully be taking my first try at a track tomorrow, and your post has gotten me a little nervous. I've kicked the back end out just flooring it on the road, let alone the track. Hmm - to disable ESP or not...

I left the ESP on both times.

first run i spun it through 1st all the way and had to let go of gas because ESP was kicking in so much. it was bad. but it was also my first time.

second time ESP on and I was too easy on the gas hence the bad 60' but it seems that the car has power because my MPH was as high as someone getting high 12s. I figure if I am able to get to the same speed in the same distance with a crappy start, than I must be able to do the same time as him if not better. just my thought

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Your def want ESP ON until you become more experienced.....take it from me who on my first run was told to take ESP off and just floor it...well I spun, spun and spun until the car got sideways and almost hit the wall. I literally did a 180.....

If I EVER go again I will lower tire pressure, keep esp ON and NOT FLOOR it...I will gradually get to learn my car and how to launch...good luck.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The best way to launch is to just give it a little gas off the start, enough to snap your head back. About 5'-10' after- WOT. If you have the rsas you'll probably still roast them on the street with that launch, but at the track you should hook with good track prep. F1s are a lot stickier. ESP off gives you more acceleration after you get out of the hole. ESP on limits the throttle all the way through first. The esp off with the diablo is noticeably better and I've proven it to myself with .2 tenths better 0-60 times with my g-tech.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The short time is the key to the whole puzzle. Practice, practice. There's really no other variable IMO than getting out of the hole that's more important for a good time.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
practice is what you need...i cut 1.9 60fts consistantly and im on the stock 225 60 18 conti tires.

·
Registered
376 Posts
How are you leaving?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
roll into........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts