Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally did it! After longing and dreaming since they were first announced, I signed the papers last night on a silver 2006 300C SRT8 (at a Mercedes Benz Dealer). It has 88,900 miles, so neither a high or low miles example. It already has a Mopar branded Cold Air Intake, seem to be stock other than that. Other than the odometer readings, you'd probably think it's a new car. To say I'm happy is quite an understatement.

We test drove the car exactly one month ago, but they wanted almost $4000 over KBB for it. We talked them down a bit, but they weren't ready to sell I guess as it was still overpriced.

Last week, I saw the car reduced down $6500 from the original asking price - far better than their "best" price during our original negotiations. I took a second test drive and then told them I'd take it if they could pull up the finance numbers I wanted.

They sent me home in it, so I got a few days to know the car before I had to commit. By the time the finance guy called with the right numbers, I had already shifted from a fan to a convert. As you all know, these things ROCK!

Future plans are to get a tuner (Diablo still the one?) cat-back exhaust and maybe some cutouts (to have my cake and eat it too!). Anything else you veteran SRT8 guys might suggest?

On a side note - the engine light is on, and the codes that are pulled indicate a crankshaft sensor - my local mechanic said that he can install a new one for about $150. Does that sound about right? I thought it was cheap compared to our PT Cruiser's crankshaft sensor replacement.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Hey BorgBiker ... welcome to the 3CF from Cajun country. I am a relatively new owner of an SRT8 as well, so I'll just share what was recommended to me. You already have a upgraded intake ... that was my first step. Next, I installed the JET 180 Thermostat & new tune. I went with the DiabloSport inTune tuner ... any of the Diablo units will be great. When I did those 3 things alone ... I feel like I woke up a sleeping giant. Don't get me wrong, the car was great before. However, now it's a notch above great. Now, I'm looking at Magnaflow high flow cats with Corsa exhaust (haven't quite pulled the trigger yet). As for your codes ... I'll let one of the more experienced forum members address that. Good luck getting that resolved ... and enjoy your ride!

PS - They tell me unless there are pictures ... it didn't happen. So, post up some pics man!!!

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum and congrats on purchasing an SRT!

DiabloSport has the best tuner out there for these cars, IMHO. But don't take my word for it...a lot of other folks will chime in here with their comments on that. The Predator is being phased out (you can still get them but support and OS file upgrades will soon cease) at DiabloSport in favor of their new generation handheld, the InTune. Your other option is the Trinity from DiabloSport.

You don't necessarily need to go with a full catback exhaust if you don't want to. You can just cut out the stock dual in / dual out single case muffler and go with a couple of replacement, freer flowing, mufflers.

I'd add a catch can to your mod list, along with a 180 degree thermostat. Once you get a programmer, you'll want to set those fan On temps and with that thermostat, it will work much better.

I am assuming that the sensor replacement price came from a non-dealer shop. Seems to me you can't even get them to unlatch and lift the hood these days for less than $150!!! If he's read the codes right, that's a great price to do what he says needs doing.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Welcome man! Pics!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Welcome from Hotlanta!! Congrats on the SRT. I was in same boat as loved it when it first came out. Finally bought mine a little over a year ago, a 2007 and it had 16,000 miles on it. I just rolled it to 20,000. Not my daily driver yet, but the mods keep coming. The things mentioned above are all great to start and will not break bank. Tons more cosmetically to change it up a bit. Enjoy the ride and post some pics!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,956 Posts
Welcome to 3CF & congrats on your purchase. Let the mod begin & don't 4get to post up pics, all the best! :wink:

·
Registered
174 Posts
On a side note - the engine light is on, and the codes that are pulled indicate a crankshaft sensor - my local mechanic said that he can install a new one for about $150. Does that sound about right? I thought it was cheap compared to our PT Cruiser's crankshaft sensor replacement.
I think you need to pull one bolt and it right at the front of the motor... Thats a do it yourself. I read somewhere that the part is $30-$50 bucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all, I have already learned a lot.

I have a question - I have seen the term 'catch can', but I haven't found any info so far on what it is for, or what it replaces (if anything).

Thanks in advance for the enlightenment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts