Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the problems that sometimes faces big brake kit users is their spare wheel/tire in the trunk no longer clears the larger calipers. Not a problem for my Brembo brakes on my 2001 BMW 540i 6-Speed, which uses a full size spare. But the Chrysler 300C has a space saver spare with a skinny 145/80-18 temporary tire. I've checked and it does not fit over the StopTech big brake kit.

I have two sets of wheels, one for summer and one for winter. So I figured I would just stash one of the off-season wheels in the spare tire well. No such luck! The well is designed for the skinny space saver and there's no way a full sized wheel will fit. What to do? Should I carry around a patch kit, a pump, and a can of Fix-A-Flat? I didn't want to go that route, so I started to explore other options.

H&R makes 25mm and 30mm spacers for the 300C. So I modified a StopTech big brake kit template to simulate the addition of a 25mm spacer. Then I placed it inside the spare wheel and it easily cleared! There are 13mm between the face of the caliper and the back side of the wheel. And the gap between the top of the caliper and the barrel of the wheel is 5mm. So the H&R spacer is the solution. Just keep one spacer and 5 nuts in the spare tire well in case you get a flat.

This is what the H&R spacers are supposed to look like

H&R is sending me a set of 25mm spacers (they come in pairs) which should arrive on Friday. Over the weekend, I plan to install the rear StopTech brakes on my 300C. At that time, I'll try out the H&R spacers to see if they really are the solution to the spare tire quandry. I'll be sure to post a photo. If they work, I'll give away my extra spacer for free to the next customer who buys a StopTech brake kit for the 300C. After that, I suppose I'll need to start stocking those H&R spacers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A good tip Dave.

There is a somewhat simpler one however;

If the need comes up to change the RF tire, while doing so put the RR onto the FRONT and the spare onto the REAR. Given jack points this should be accomplished by only raising the car one time.

Note I said; 'somewhat' in that yes its more work, but saves coin and you'd have to decide when you need the spacer, not leave in place on the spare. i.e. if you had a flat rear you'd not need it.

And yea, I've done it... SHO memories...lol

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
todd tce said:
A good tip Dave.

There is a somewhat simpler one however;

If the need comes up to change the RF tire, while doing so put the RR onto the FRONT and the spare onto the REAR. Given jack points this should be accomplished by only raising the car one time.

Note I said; 'somewhat' in that yes its more work, but saves coin and you'd have to decide when you need the spacer, not leave in place on the spare. i.e. if you had a flat rear you'd not need it.

And yea, I've done it... SHO memories...lol
That works great until you install a rear big brake kit! I'll be putting that on this weekend.

·
Registered
375 Posts
H&R spacers are top notch, I have 25mm's on my mustang and have had no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I just ordered a set of H&R spacers for my spare since I just installed a rear brake kit too. They had to be ordered in pairs. If anyone needs one let me know I'll sell it for $75 shipped.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aspendog said:
I just ordered a set of H&R spacers for my spare since I just installed a rear brake kit too. They had to be ordered in pairs. If anyone needs one let me know I'll sell it for $75 shipped.
Keep in mind you will have to drill holes in your spare wheel to allow the tops of the old studs to stick through. This wouldn't be a problem if the spacer was 35mm thick. But 25mm is not thick enough to clear the factory studs.

Also, the included H&R spacer nuts are smaller than the factory wheel nuts. You'll need to keep a 19mm socket in your trunk.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
It sure seems like there is plenty of length on the OEM studs for the spacer and the lugnuts.

DZeckhausen said:
Keep in mind you will have to drill holes in your spare wheel to allow the tops of the old studs to stick through. This wouldn't be a problem if the spacer was 35mm thick. But 25mm is not thick enough to clear the factory studs.

Also, the included H&R spacer nuts are smaller than the factory wheel nuts. You'll need to keep a 19mm socket in your trunk.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aspendog said:
It sure seems like there is plenty of length on the OEM studs for the spacer and the lugnuts.
Not even close. The spacer fits over the factory studs, then special H&R nuts are used to secure it. The spacer has its own studs that the wheel attaches to using the factory lug nuts.

Because the nuts securing the H&R spacer to the hub must sit flush with the spacer so as not to interfere with the wheel, they are very small. They fit within recessed openings in the spacer. The problem is that several millimeters of factory stud protrudes beyond the oputer face of the spacer and prevents the spare wheel from sitting flush. You need to drill holes in the spare wheel to allow the factory studs to poke through.

This picture may help:

Those studs you see sticking out of the spacers are PART of the spacer. They are already press fit into the spacers when you get them. The holes in between the studs are for the H&R nuts to attach the spacer to the hub. It's the H&R studs that hold the spare wheel in place, not the factory studs.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
My spare still fits over the rear caliper after all. Anyone need a spacer?

DZeckhausen said:
Not even close. The spacer fits over the factory studs, then special H&R nuts are used to secure it. The spacer has its own studs that the wheel attaches to using the factory lug nuts.

Because the nuts securing the H&R spacer to the hub must sit flush with the spacer so as not to interfere with the wheel, they are very small. They fit within recessed openings in the spacer. The problem is that several millimeters of factory stud protrudes beyond the oputer face of the spacer and prevents the spare wheel from sitting flush. You need to drill holes in the spare wheel to allow the factory studs to poke through.

This picture may help:

Those studs you see sticking out of the spacers are PART of the spacer. They are already press fit into the spacers when you get them. The holes in between the studs are for the H&R nuts to attach the spacer to the hub. It's the H&R studs that hold the spare wheel in place, not the factory studs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts