Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 2 trips to the dealer I finnally here some positive news about my Ill shifting ZF 8 speed
The dealer told me I must be one of many that have this same problem and the engineers at star
are aware of this and they will have a fix by the end of June first of July.
hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Excellent. These are simply programming issues, and will eventually be fixed.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Yeah...we first gen owners had some 1-2 upshift issues to deal with. A flash of the TCM did the trick.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well after 2 trips to the dealer I finnally here some positive news about my Ill shifting ZF 8 speed
The dealer told me I must be one of many that have this same problem and the engineers at star
hope this helps.
So if the OP is just "one of many" with this problem, would Chrysler traditionally provide some type of non-recall notice to others; or is this something one just stumbles upon (e.g., from this post/forum) and that person should be proactive and go into a dealer in, say, August to have it corrected? I ask because I might have perceived a smallish fit/start-from-gear clunk or two similarly.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Chrysler most likely will issue a Technical Service Bulletin ( TSB ). If vehicles come into dealer for service for any reason, and they fall under the TSB, the dealership repairs the vehicle under the TSB guidelines whether or not the customer was aware of the issue prior to the visit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
hope this helps.
No worries im sure they will find a fix for your issue. You have the Chrysler modified / built 8 speed which is different in a sense from the drop'd shipped ZF that is in the 2012. The ZF build 8 speeds did have an issue where at stop and go traffic speeds there would be harsh downshifting and even stall. This was later fixed with an update.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
not

No worries im sure they will find a fix for your issue. You have the Chrysler modified / built 8 speed which is different in a sense from the drop'd shipped ZF that is in the 2012. The ZF build 8 speeds did have an issue where at stop and go traffic speeds there would be harsh downshifting and even stall. This was later fixed with an update.
Note that there are no mods to the unit. It is simply programmed differently. There are sometimes some quality issues at the Indiana plant, but none reported so far with the ZF designed box, just programming.

This is a very versatile slushbox used in Bentley, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, and many more vehicles. It even works as a hybrid trans with an electric motor sandwiched in there.

Reactions: TheKrell

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is exactly what is said on the paperwork from my last trip to the dealer. This was the 5th time being in for service because of the transmission. The transmission has been replaced, flashed and re-learned, and still I have rough downshifting followed by a "bump" before coming to a stop. The service manager stated July would be when the "fix" is available, which Star confirmed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
This is exactly what is said on the paperwork from my last trip to the dealer. This was the 5th time being in for service because of the transmission. The transmission has been replaced, flashed and re-learned, and still I have rough downshifting followed by a "bump" before coming to a stop. The service manager stated July would be when the "fix" is available, which Star confirmed.
That's exactly what I have going on recently.. A "bump" right before coming to a stop..

Would you suggest waiting until July to bring it in if all they will do now is a flash and relearn which won't solve the issue?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The second flash and relearn did help a little with shifting, however it did not help with the "bump". Save your self some time and wait for the update before taking it in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Note that there are no mods to the unit. It is simply programmed differently. There are sometimes some quality issues at the Indiana plant, but none reported so far with the ZF designed box, just programming.

This is a very versatile slushbox used in Bentley, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, and many more vehicles. It even works as a hybrid trans with an electric motor sandwiched in there.
Hi Steve,

According to Chrysler the unit was indeed slightly modified with an extra clutch and separator. Also, some units can have different types of oil pans. Please refer to the document link below.

http://courses.chrysleracademy.com/MT201211/shell_popups/pdf/Reference.pdf

The 8HP45 and 845RE transmissions look
nearly identical from the outside. It’s only
when you get inside the case that things
start to look different (Fig. 4).

While some internal components will
share part numbers, most internal
components will not be interchangeable
between the 8HP45 and the 845RE.
For instance, while the clutch packs look
very similar, they are not interchangeable.
Looking a little closer at the 845RE clutch
packs, the D clutch has an extra pair of
separator and friction plates for improved
vehicle performance (Fig. 5).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts