Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to start this thread to get input from poeple on how they got rid of the rattles in (and out) of the car caused by systems with mucho bass.

I put foam inside the hollow space in the trunk lid and then covered it, and the trunk, with dynamat.

DO NOT USE THE FOAM! It has caused my trunk lid to cave in in certain spots.

DO USE THE DYNAMAT! It sounds much better now but I've still got some mysterious rattles from the bumper, etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Dynomat behind the license plate as well. The rattle behind the bumper is annoying and I think the only fix is to take the bumper off and dynomat the frame of the bumper. I dont know if its worth all that but Im considering it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Three inputs....

1) In the following thread I describe how access the rear deck which you may wish to sound deaden to prevent rattles. I also show how to remove the 3rd brake light and fix a common rattle associated with it.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/faq-tech-forum/9368-how-remove-rear-deck-cover-rear-speakers.html

2) As IGOTTASRT8 points out, I can confirm that the rear trunk lid doesn't need to be filled. Just remove the trunk lid liner (if applicable) and cover the entire surface with fatmat, etc. If you seal off the holes between the metal supports and the trunk lid itself, it will stop rattling. It's the air movement that makes them rattle against each other.

3) I have suspicion on the lower rear bumper rattles that maybe someone else can test if they are about to fatmat their trunk. When Fatmatting my trunk, I had the side carpet panels off. There are these strange looking, square vented black plastic pieces in the side wall near the rear of the trunk. My assumption is that they vent to the outside of the car so that when the trunk is shutting, the air can escape and reduce pressure. As your subwoofer hits, I think it is forcing air out of these vents and potentially causing rattles. Anyway... just a suspicion, I haven't gone so far as to remove these pieces or try to cover them to test.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
djjasond said:
Three inputs....

1) In the following thread I describe how access the rear deck which you may wish to sound deaden to prevent rattles. I also show how to remove the 3rd brake light and fix a common rattle associated with it.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/faq-tech-forum/9368-how-remove-rear-deck-cover-rear-speakers.html

2) As IGOTTASRT8 points out, I can confirm that the rear trunk lid doesn't need to be filled. Just remove the trunk lid liner (if applicable) and cover the entire surface with fatmat, etc. If you seal off the holes between the metal supports and the trunk lid itself, it will stop rattling. It's the air movement that makes them rattle against each other.

3) I have suspicion on the lower rear bumper rattles that maybe someone else can test if they are about to fatmat their trunk. When Fatmatting my trunk, I had the side carpet panels off. There are these strange looking, square vented black plastic pieces in the side wall near the rear of the trunk. My assumption is that they vent to the outside of the car so that when the trunk is shutting, the air can escape and reduce pressure. As your subwoofer hits, I think it is forcing air out of these vents and potentially causing rattles. Anyway... just a suspicion, I haven't gone so far as to remove these pieces or try to cover them to test.
We were searching for rattles yesterday and that "square vented black plastic piece" does seem to rattle quite a bit. Not sure if it causes rattles elswhere but the piece itself rattles.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
IGOTTASRT8 said:
We were searching for rattles yesterday and that "square vented black plastic piece" does seem to rattle quite a bit. Not sure if it causes rattles elswhere but the piece itself rattles.
That contraption is called an exhauster, it vents the interior when you close the doors to reduce interior pressure. Mine fell off (or was not secured) and I found it in the fender well when I installed my mud flaps. Here is the link.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recall something being mentioned about the center seatbelt making noise but I forgot the details. Can somebody fill me in?

·
Registered
110 Posts
IGOTTASRT8 said:
I just wanted to start this thread to get input from poeple on how they got rid of the rattles in (and out) of the car caused by systems with mucho bass.

I put foam inside the hollow space in the trunk lid and then covered it, and the trunk, with dynamat.

DO NOT USE THE FOAM! It has caused my trunk lid to cave in in certain spots.

DO USE THE DYNAMAT! It sounds much better now but I've still got some mysterious rattles from the bumper, etc.
IGOTTASRT8,

If you’re saying to stay away from Dynamat, What would be the best way to relieve the rattling in and around my trunk? Some stereo shops said I should use Foam, what would you recommend? I have 1 12-inch Rockford Fosgate T1 Series sub facing the trunk and it looks like my trunk lid is going to come out of place. I had a little fender bender last month and when it was getting fixed the body shop guy told me that the area where the trunk-lid locks was cracked. At first I thought it had to do with the accident, but he said it can also be because of my speaker. Do you think that sounds right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm gonna get flamed for this one... but here it goes anyways...

Buy a Magnum!!!! I've got no rattle from my sub!!! No dynamat or foam needed!

·
Registered
231 Posts
IGOTTASRT8 said:
I recall something being mentioned about the center seatbelt making noise but I forgot the details. Can somebody fill me in?
Any info on this is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Silva300 said:
IGOTTASRT8,

If you’re saying to stay away from Dynamat, What would be the best way to relieve the rattling in and around my trunk? Some stereo shops said I should use Foam, what would you recommend? I have 1 12-inch Rockford Fosgate T1 Series sub facing the trunk and it looks like my trunk lid is going to come out of place. I had a little fender bender last month and when it was getting fixed the body shop guy told me that the area where the trunk-lid locks was cracked. At first I thought it had to do with the accident, but he said it can also be because of my speaker. Do you think that sounds right?
Dynamat good
Foam bad

I think that crack is actually common with these cars, but I'm sure it's NOT from your subs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
steven1m said:
anyone know good sites/ vendors that sell fatmat? I heard fatmat and dynamat are both as good
You can buy the fatmat from their ebay store. Be prepared to wait 30 days because they are very slow to ship. As far as dynamat vs. fatmat I'm pretty sure they are equally great products.

·
Registered
14 Posts
will the dynamat actually fix the whole trunk from rattling? I just got my sub and amp installed last week, and the entire trunklid is rattling and you can see it moving probably about 1/8 of an inch! I have one alpine type x in a ported box, and it's pushing a ton of air, and it seems the trunk is so air tight it just tries to push the trunklid...

i was worried about the license plate, but not the whole trunklid!!! I put a layer of stick on 1/4 inch foam around the edge where the rubber hits the trunklid to try and create a tighter seal when the trunk was closed, but it barely helped. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks, Dan

·
Registered
110 Posts
IGOTTASRT8 said:
Dynamat good
Foam bad

I think that crack is actually common with these cars, but I'm sure it's NOT from your subs.

Thanks,

I look into the Dynamat. I have the same problem as AUBURN, One sub in a ported box, and it seems my trunk-lid is going to pop outta place.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Auburn300c said:
will the dynamat actually fix the whole trunk from rattling? I just got my sub and amp installed last week, and the entire trunklid is rattling and you can see it moving probably about 1/8 of an inch! I have one alpine type x in a ported box, and it's pushing a ton of air, and it seems the trunk is so air tight it just tries to push the trunklid...

i was worried about the license plate, but not the whole trunklid!!! I put a layer of stick on 1/4 inch foam around the edge where the rubber hits the trunklid to try and create a tighter seal when the trunk was closed, but it barely helped. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks, Dan
Dynamat the whole trunk (and lid) and it will stop that rattle. Then you'll start to hear the rattle from the bumper, lol. But seriously- dynmat the trunk, it will sound much better.

I haven't gotten into the bumper yet but that will come later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
alright, thanks igottasrt8

later, Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts