Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!

I have noticed recently that my lights started to turn on after a short flash when in Auto mode. I remember very clearly that there was no such behaviour early. They just turned on and stayed illuminating. I think that such system is very dangerous for HID lights.
Please tell me if this is the normal behaviour, or I should search for a solution? How do your lights turn on in Auto mode?

Thank you and hope for your help!

22082008149.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
hid's have to be "started" like a fluro. they ignite, therefore a blink on startup is common.
This is not just a blink! The Automatic system turns them on then off and on again quickly (my dash lightning does the same)! There is no such behaviour if I turn them on manually!

You can see on the video that the side marker does the same thing.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
That's very strange (as far as I'm concerned). I have not observed that with any of my vehicles before. The Heritage Edition always runs in Auto-mode.

It's got to be an electrical issue, but how to track it down... who knows?

have you talked with your dealer's service department about it yet?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes that is strange... watching my car more closely, there is a slight dimming when the engine cranks to life but then thats it. I would def get that checked at the dealer.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that is strange... watching my car more closely, there is a slight dimming when the engine cranks to life but then thats it. I would def get that checked at the dealer.
You are talking about Auto mode, aren't you? Cause when I switch on lights manually before start they do exactly as you said.
This happens only when my lights are in Auto mode.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's very strange (as far as I'm concerned). I have not observed that with any of my vehicles before. The Heritage Edition always runs in Auto-mode.

Thank you very much for the experience provided. I have not talked to my dealer yet. Well this is not a warranty issue since I have made a FREE Auto-Headlights (no parts needed) (FREE Auto-Headlights (no parts needed) - LX Forums Modern Mopar Muscle) mode. But perhaps I will have to visit them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
take a look on you tube. do a search for "300c hid", it looks like it may be a fairly common problem! i was shocked as there are a few vids on there of this sort of fault!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
take a look on you tube. do a search for "300c hid", it looks like it may be a fairly common problem! i was shocked as there are a few vids on there of this sort of fault!
No there is nothing common with my problem on these videos. Thank you very much anyway for the links provided. I have problem with the Auto headlights system as I suppose. Cause this flash occurs to all lights around the car: headlights, side markers and tail lights. What I have saw on the videos you mentioned is obviously a HID problem.

My lights are working perfectly. They just make this flash when I start my vehicle when its dark and they continue working all the time with no problem at all.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Dear GoofyTimL,

Since you have Heritage Edition with Auto-headlights feature I would like to ask you about the behavior of turning lights on at night when you have enabled the "Turn the lights on with remote key unlock" in the EVIC. When I enable this option and set the lights switch to Auto lights turn on when I unlock doors with remote key then they turn off during engine start for the same little moment as in my video and then turn on when engine is started. Do your lights do the same? Or do they turn on when you unlock doors from remote key and when you start the engine are just staying on illuminating because it is dark already?

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
I will have to check this out Prozac. I have my EVIC set to flash the light upon unlocking the doors, but not to keep them illuminated. I have never set the lights to remain ON.

I do expect that in the case of turning the lights on prior to cranking the car to start, that the lights would go off while the starter actually cranks (to ensure max. power goes to the starter). Then once the car starts, the lights would come back on without any short flash like that seen in your situation.

Either way, the fact that you say it effects all the lights around the car, indicates to me that it's definitely an electrical interuption... just no idea why it would be linked to "Auto" headlight switch and affect lights which are NOT headlights...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I do expect that in the case of turning the lights on prior to cranking the car to start, that the lights would go off while the starter actually cranks (to ensure max. power goes to the starter). Then once the car starts, the lights would come back on without any short flash like that seen in your situation.
The same thing does mine car as you think. This is that short flash that you saw on my video! When I turn lights on myself before start they just fade a little but do not turn off (perhaps because of the big power used to start the engine). But when they are in Auto they turn off fully and then turn on at the same moment. I mean that I don't remember such behavior was before. I remember they just turned on and that's it.

Thank you very much for your interest and help! I'm waiting for your car's behavior.

Sorry I didn't catch your mind. Well, if you were talking about starting when in Auto and when lights are on after unlocking doors, then how can they go off for the starter without making a flash like that? In such case they should go off and then go on. It is quick flash!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will have to check this out Prozac. I have my EVIC set to flash the light upon unlocking the doors, but not to keep them illuminated. I have never set the lights to remain ON.

Either way, the fact that you say it effects all the lights around the car, indicates to me that it's definitely an electrical interuption... just no idea why it would be linked to "Auto" headlight switch and affect lights which are NOT headlights...
GoofyTimL hi! So have you checked it on your car? Please write some words.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Guys can anybody shoot me a video how do your automatic headlights turn on when you start engine at night, please!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but I had similar problem. Only in maual mode. I'd turn them on and get the quick flash (normal) then the right on would not stay on. I had the shop add a relay for the lights so they get voltage directly from the battery. It worked, but add a lot noise to the stereo. I'll be removing my HID and go back to stock. Got to have good music...check into the relay. May work out for you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well my HIDs are stock and I also have not such prob in manual mode. So this should be the Automatic system issue. :dunno:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to update this thread I would like to inform everybody that I have finally found a solution for that flashing issue with the car's lights when you're in the Auto mode!

Yesterday I was in a hurry and started the engine very quick. I saw there was no flash then and thought it was a once system error, or something like that...
Then, when I had come home I have analyzed and thought that maybe it started normally because of my fast engine starting? I tried it again and YES!!!

This flash problem appears only if you stay for any time at the ON position before cranking the engine (I have always started my car in such way before, cause I think it is useful for the battery to begin its work a little before the engine starting).
But if you pass the ON position and crank the engine instead the lights turn on after its already running and with no flash just as they should!

I suppose this behavior is caused because the automatic system turns on when you switch a key to the ON position and then when you start the engine the system has to start again (so it is restarted).
And when you trigger the engine fast there is not enough time for the system to turn on before engine and it does only after the engine is running and only once, so there is no any flashing.

Very glad I have finally found this out!

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
When you leave the car in on, but not on - the fuel pump pressurizes (takes a couple of seconds), and your climate control system will start up. That, is probably enough draw - my guess is that the auto setting switches the HIDs off, but then when they come back on in "on" (but not on), there isn't enough power for the HIDs to start up, and thus they flash.

One way to verify that would be to have the headlights set to on before you turn the key and see if they start flashing, my guess is they won't (something I believe you stated too).

There are HID kits that use inverters that (supposedly) don't require as much electricity to start up. I'm pretty sure the HIDGate kit is not one of them (nor any kit that includes a set of cables to tie it into the battery directly). I can't remember anymore who does, but there are some out there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One way to verify that would be to have the headlights set to on before you turn the key and see if they start flashing, my guess is they won't (something I believe you stated too).
I was talking about turning off and then on again but not flashing friend! Besides they do not turn off when you first switched them on manually. They will just fade a little and that's it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts