Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had any success in making the front side markers flash with the signal lights but remain steady with just the lights on?
I read in the Charger forum swapping 2 wires in a connector works but has anyone done the same in the 300C with success? If it hasn't been done does anyone have a wiring diagram of the 300C lighting? It's easy to do with a relay but just wondered if anyone discovered a simpler method.

Thx

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
I don't know about doing it by just swapping a couple of wires, but I've done mine with relays and capacitors.
Do a search for "Flashing Side Marker Lights" to find a "how-to" writeup I did within the thread. It contains wiring diagrams essential to the mod. If you would like more wiring diagrams to checkout the two wire change method, or to figure out your own method, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll scan the diagrams from the service manual and e-mail them to you.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Thx........DESIREE
It appears as this might be the simplest solution
Kuryakyn Run-Turn-Brake Controller
Looks like it should do the job. Take a look at the other flashing side marker thread for my write-up to view the wiring diagrams and the physical layout of the turnsignal power sources at the front control module, and the sidemarker wire routing behind and across the front bumper.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anybody know if Tommy Z went ahead and developed the mirror covers with built in flashers ? Not trying to hijack the thread, just think it would be a better look.Another angle for you consider 300CStick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually the mirrors with LED's is my first choie and they are avaiable on eBay. They are only primed and need to be painted but I want mine chrome plated. I am currently looking for a source that can chrome plate them for me.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Desiree Do you have the wiring diagram for the turn signal lever to the flasher? I think I have a way to have the side markers flash with 1 DPST relay per side but the relay coil needs power from in front of the flasher coil. When the turn signal is off the side markers are powered by the parking light and when the turn signals are on they are powered by the signal lights.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Desiree Do you have the wiring diagram for the turn signal lever to the flasher? I think I have a way to have the side markers flash with 1 DPST relay per side but the relay coil needs power from in front of the flasher coil. When the turn signal is off the side markers are powered by the parking light and when the turn signals are on they are powered by the signal lights.
I can probably dig it out of the CD service manual. But first read this.

There is no "flasher" unit as in the old days (the aluminum can with two or three prongs). The signal flashing is controlled electronically from the cluster where there is something to create the flasher sound we hear. The front control module (the shiny box mounted on the front of the PDC) controls the exterior lighting. There are no wiring diagrams for the cluster itself. External wiring (from the turn signal switch, and to the FCM) are just shown as connecting to a numbered pins of a plug-on connector.

As for your comment "When the turn signal is off the side markers are powered by the parking light and when the turn signals are on they are powered by the signal lights.", Question: what happens when the parking lights are already on and you turn on the turn signal? Answer: the side marker will just stay on steady because the parking light circuit is not interrupted. Been there done that. That's why I use the relays (1 SPDT, but SPST would do) that I use. They turn the side markers off when the parking lights are on. That's why a turn signal and its respective side marker are out of step with each other when the parking lights are on.

PM me if you'd like to discuss the matter further. Maybe there is a better mousetrap to be had, but I can't envision it, probably because I've already done about all the thinking about and testing of numerous variations on the theme.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can probably dig it out of the CD service manual. But first read this.

There is no "flasher" unit as in the old days (the aluminum can with two or three prongs). The signal flashing is controlled electronically from the cluster where there is something to create the flasher sound we hear. The front control module (the shiny box mounted on the front of the PDC) controls the exterior lighting. There are no wiring diagrams for the cluster itself. External wiring (from the turn signal switch, and to the FCM) are just shown as connecting to a numbered pins of a plug-on connector.

As for your comment "When the turn signal is off the side markers are powered by the parking light and when the turn signals are on they are powered by the signal lights.", Question: what happens when the parking lights are already on and you turn on the turn signal? Answer: the side marker will just stay on steady because the parking light circuit is not interrupted. Been there done that. That's why I use the relays (1 SPDT, but SPST would do) that I use. They turn the side markers off when the parking lights are on. That's why a turn signal and its respective side marker are out of step with each other when the parking lights are on.

PM me if you'd like to discuss the matter further. Maybe there is a better mousetrap to be had, but I can't envision it, probably because I've already done about all the thinking about and testing of numerous variations on the theme.
DESIREE

Here is a simple Word CAD:) schematic of what I was thinking Flashing Side Markers.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
DESIREE

Here is a simple Word CAD:) schematic of what I was thinking View attachment 28146
Like I said, there is no "flasher unit" (item 2 in the diagram). But I see some possibility here, perhaps the "flasher unit" can be replaced in function with what the FCM does? Let me look at modifying my original concept with this in mind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand there is no flasher unit. What I need is to find the wire from the signal switch which is the input to the FCM so I can connect the relay there so that it doesn't flash as well. Otherwise I would need 2 relays per side to make it function.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
I understand there is no flasher unit. What I need is to find the wire from the signal switch which is the input to the FCM so I can connect the relay there so that it doesn't flash as well. Otherwise I would need 2 relays per side to make it function.
Per service manual page 8W-50-2, a twisted pair of CAN B BUS wires [WT(-)/Pin 12 & WT/OR(+)/Pin 13] connect between the 'Switch-Turn Signal' section of the 'Module-Steering Control' to the 'Module-Front Control' [Pin 1 and Pin 2 respectively of connector C1]. I do not believe the CAN BUS can be used to control an electro-mechanical relay.

PM me, including your e-mail address, and I'll send you service manual pages 8W-50-2, -4, and -5 showing the control and power circuitry for the turnsignal and parking lights.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It appears as if I can't PM until I have posted 10 messages. This would be number 10 so if it allows me to I'll PM you then

1 - 15 of 15 Posts