Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to my '08 300C manual, the car now comes equipped with a system similar to the 'Flexible Service System' in the Crossfire and MB cars.

It says the system is smart and figures out when you need to change your oil based on a whole host of parameters rather than just a countdown, but if it doesn't come on in 6 months, the oil should be changed anyway.

Unfortunately, it also says there is no way to view the current status of the system, so it is totally "faith based" :D

Anybody with an 08 that the alert has appeared?

I'm now a little over 3 months and a few hundred miles over 3k and nothing yet.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
<bump>

Anyone know???

My wife's car has that type system.... I still change at my normal interval of about 3k.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always felt that 3k was a little on the low side especially with the newer cars but the service schedules are always ambiguous.

But with the system, I do feel that I can be a little more environmentally conscious.

Would be interesting to hear from someone who knows how this system actually works.

·
Registered
145 Posts
from FSM:

The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
On Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) equipped vehicles, “Oil Change Required” will be displayed in the EVIC and a single chime will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.
On Non-EVIC equipped vehicles, “Change Oil” will flash in the instrument cluster odometer and a single chime will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.
Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 mi (805 km).

NOTE:
  • The oil change indicator message will not monitor the time since the last oil change. Change your vehicle's oil if it has been six months since your last oil change, even if the oil change indicator message is NOT illuminated.
  • Change your engine oil more often if you drive your vehicle off-road for an extended period of time.
  • Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 6,000 mi (10,000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
Your dealer will reset the engine oil change indicator message after completing the scheduled oil change. However, if a scheduled oil change is performed by someone other than your dealer, the message can be reset by performing the following procedure.

OIL CHANGE INDICATOR - RESET

Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The “Oil Change Required” message will flash in the EVIC display for approximately 10 seconds after a single chime has sounded to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.
Unless reset, this message will continue to display each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and release the Menu button. To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance) perform the following procedure:
  • Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position (Do not start the engine).
  • Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
  • Turn the ignition switch to the “LOCK” position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
:)
It says the system is smart and figures out when you need to change your oil based on a whole host of parameters rather than just a countdown, but if it doesn't come on in 6 months, the oil should be changed anyway.

Unfortunately, it also says there is no way to view the current status of the system, so it is totally "faith based" :D

Anybody with an 08 that the alert has appeared?
I've had my 08 300C since mid December. I changed the oil at 4k+ without any reminder. At 6,4xx miles, the alert appeared when I started the car. Based on that, I'm not so sure about if it is figuring things out. I show 2,8xx miles since my change. I would have expected it at an even number (6,500) but it did come on at an odd mileage so is it trying to think??? :dunno:

So, I'd be interested too about anyone elses experience with the notification. I only posted this as I've been trying to figure out how to reset the reminder and this post answers that. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
:)

I've had my 08 300C since mid December. I changed the oil at 4k+ without any reminder. At 6,4xx miles, the alert appeared when I started the car. Based on that, I'm not so sure about if it is figuring things out. I show 2,8xx miles since my change. I would have expected it at an even number (6,500) but it did come on at an odd mileage so is it trying to think??? :dunno:

So, I'd be interested too about anyone elses experience with the notification. I only posted this as I've been trying to figure out how to reset the reminder and this post answers that. Thank you. :)
Since you didn't follow the reset procedure when you changed your oil, the vehicle won't know the oil has been changed and is reporting on the 'old' oil life. The system will not (should not) alert on an 'even mileage' number - the system does not monitor mileage, but rather engine operating parameters, such as oil temp, length of time running, RPMs, speed, etc. to determine when the oil should be changed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts