Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to pick up slightly used Flowmaster 40 series mufflers and tips for $100 to replace my stock exhaust. This is a great price, however I'm concerned about the loudness that Flowmaster 40's are known for. I'd like to improve sound and performance, but I don't want something that is super loud and obnoxious to my neighbors when the thing is idling or pulling out of the neighborhood.

So ... for those of you who have it or have tried it, how does it compare to other aftermarket exhaust kits (sound-wise)? I'm also considering of picking up a Magnaflow or a Bassani kit in the future but this is a great price which is the only reason why I'm considering it.

Thanks in advance,
300Chris

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
Chris, I haven't heard the Flowmasters on the 300's yet, but I can tell you from exp. that Flowmasters are indeed a loud system (inside and outside the car). 90% of all aftermarket sytems on Mustangs are Flowmasters. Which 40 series are they, that are being sold. The make several 40 series mufflers.

The Standard 40 series: this is a quote from Flowmaster
"This is the most “aggressive” sounding street/strip muffler that Flowmaster offers. If you're looking for attention, this one will get you noticed. The standard 40 series has an “aggressive rumble" and will generally resonate inside the vehicle around 1800-2000 rpm’s, and again at 2400-2600 rpm’s. Constructed of 16 gauge aluminized steel and fully mig-welded for maximum durability"

The Super 40 series: "Flowmaster"
"The Super 40 is our latest development utilizing "Gen II Delta Flow" technology. This gets you the best of both worlds of Sound and Performance. The Super 40 has that "deep powerful" sound of the original 40 series but with all the benefits of performance and low interior resonance from the "Delta Flow technology.""

The Delta Flow 40 series: "Flowmaster"
"This two chamber design incorporates Flowmasters patented "Delta Flow" technology. The "Delta" deflectors result in increased scavenging for better performance and reduced interior resonance over the standard 40 series with a nice growl outside the vehicle. Sounds great on late model performance cars with catalytic converters. Constructed of 16 gauge aluminized steel and fully mig-welded for maximum durability".

www.flowmastermufflers.com For further help. Call them too, they are always willing to help out a fellow gear head. Hope this helps out Chris.

300Chris said:
I have the opportunity to pick up slightly used Flowmaster 40 series mufflers and tips for $100 to replace my stock exhaust. This is a great price, however I'm concerned about the loudness that Flowmaster 40's are known for. I'd like to improve sound and performance, but I don't want something that is super loud and obnoxious to my neighbors when the thing is idling or pulling out of the neighborhood.

So ... for those of you who have it or have tried it, how does it compare to other aftermarket exhaust kits (sound-wise)? I'm also considering of picking up a Magnaflow or a Bassani kit in the future but this is a great price which is the only reason why I'm considering it.

Thanks in advance,
300Chris

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have the Flowmasters...I did add a 12" glasspack
to each side,to "tone 'em down" just a little.
They sound great
..Just MY Opinion..

·
Registered
122 Posts
I removed my resonators and achieved a muscle sound, sounds great at idle and on start up, no drone at cruising speed. Cost me a C note. I installed 3 1/2 inch chrome tips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts