Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 300C AWD last week with 75K on the clock and I'm going about changing all fluids.

I started by draining oil. It looked nasty (reddish-brown, very thin). Added 5W20 Mobil 1 synthetic. While it's too late now, should I have used cheaper oil and tried to flush all the bad crap out or will the fresh Mobil 1 allow me to go 3000 miles without problem?

Swapped out all the plugs (looked like originals were still in) and while they weren't black on the ends, they were very discolored. The base of the white plug body looked a little burned.

Considering the bad oil and lousy plugs, I'm thinking about letting the dealer go after the tranny fluid next (I don't have the Miller Tool and I'm not sure how to chart the temp, etc. for a correct change and fill). The dealer is going to clip me for $170 (filter, gasket and 14 qts. fluid). Any thoughts? Is it too soon to change?

I also noticed the power steering fluid was a little low. What PS fluid do you guys use?

Just topped off coolant with correct MOPAR coolant.

Anything else I should go after?

Thanks!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Just bought a 300C AWD last week with 75K on the clock and I'm going about changing all fluids.

I started by draining oil. It looked nasty (reddish-brown, very thin). Added 5W20 Mobil 1 synthetic. While it's too late now, should I have used cheaper oil and tried to flush all the bad crap out or will the fresh Mobil 1 allow me to go 3000 miles without problem?

Swapped out all the plugs (looked like originals were still in) and while they weren't black on the ends, they were very discolored. The base of the white plug body looked a little burned.

Considering the bad oil and lousy plugs, I'm thinking about letting the dealer go after the tranny fluid next (I don't have the Miller Tool and I'm not sure how to chart the temp, etc. for a correct change and fill). The dealer is going to clip me for $170 (filter, gasket and 14 qts. fluid). Any thoughts? Is it too soon to change?

I also noticed the power steering fluid was a little low. What PS fluid do you guys use?

Just topped off coolant with correct MOPAR coolant.

Anything else I should go after?

Thanks!

Well....I'm sure there are better opinions out there than little 'ole mine, but this is what I did when I bought ride with about 40K miles on it:

1) Used a premium diesel oil to "flush out" system. Diesel oils have a MASSIVE amount of detergents in order to combat the soot that forms.

2) Put in a premium synthetic motor oil soon after (about 300 miles on the diesel oil then chucked it). I use Amsoil 0W20 year round. Any premium synthetic motor oil will do. Research the subject here or on line and choose one that's good for you.

3) Don't forget to put in a premium oil filter (re: not Fram). Again, research it here and on line.

4) Changed the air filter. I like WIX, but again, research it before you do. You could always but in a CAI, but that's your choice.

5) I used a turkey baster to suck out the P.S. fluid and replaced it with Amsoil synthetic tranny fluid ATF+4 (our rides use tranny fluid for our P.S.). I did this every 2nd week for about 3 times to make sure I got all the old stuff out. Made my car easier to handle on those -20 winter nights!.

6) I bit the bullet and went to the dealer to change my tranny fluid at 50K. I bought the filter and let them do the labor, but I brought my own synthetic tranny fluid ( I again used the Amsoil ATF+4, but I believe Valvoline makes a synthetic ATF+4. Castrol makes a dino version). They did not change the gasket, as it was still good. They needed 7 quarts, not 14, so if that's what they're quoting you, find another dealer!

7) I dumped the diff oil and put in Amsoil 75W120 (or was it W140? I can't remember now, but the spec weight is in your owners manual).

8) I flushed the rad with water then added the OEM coolant along with enough distilled water to get to the proper ratio.

9) I changed my plugs as well, and used the copper ones as recommended in the manual. There is a little debate ranging as to whether platinum plugs can be used, but my personal opinion is that if DMX wanted to put in the platinums, they would have done so like some of their other engines. The 5.7 calls for copper, so I trust the engineers on this. Why else would they ask potential customers to do more frequent changes of the plugs unless it was necessary?

I don't mean to sound like an endorsement for Amsoil (I used Mobile 1 for years, and even in my Porsche), but that's what my research led me to use. Read up on everything you can and make your own decision.

But do me a favour and DON'T ask the forum what's the best oil to use. The oil wars here are almost mythic.....

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your ride!:arms:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.....some really good tips here.

Unfortunately, I just got hosed by the dealer. I had my wife take my car in to the dealer to get my tranny fluid changed and they told her they don't change the filter. They said the newer style filter is different than the ones I used to change and the new fluid keeps the newer filter clean.

Reluctantly, I allowed them to swap the fluid only.

Were they BS-ing me? I ALWAYS swapped filters when I changed tranny oil. I know the manual says the fluid / filter is good to 100K but did this dealer BS in telling me Chrysler does not recommend opening the pan and changing the filter. This sounds F'd-up.

As for them telling me 14qts, instead of 7, it leads me to believe I just got hosed big time.

Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your quick reply allowed me to get to the dealer before the car left the shop. I was able to get him to swap the filter. While he hosed me on the price of the filter ($30), he added the extra oil and labor at no charge.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Welcome to Capitalism!

Sorry to hear that. Here's a thread I found on this forum discussing spark plugs and tranny service:

Trans Service and Spark Plugs?

I used that as the guide to buy my 8 quarts, but the dealer ended up using 7 and a bit to top it off. As I do 75K per year on my car (my job), I will have to change it again soon and I plan on doing it myself this time.

Well, the good news is you won't fall for that again, and the dealer just lost a potential customer in the name of making an extra $70. For that price, you got a bargain in finding out how crooked that dealer was before you went in for major service out of pocket. They could have continued hosing you for years!

Count yourself lucky, even though it sucks.

And I don't know if I'd leave the filter in for 100K, regardless of what they say. Seems counter intuitive to me to have a filter in that long.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Your quick reply allowed me to get to the dealer before the car left the shop. I was able to get him to swap the filter. While he hosed me on the price of the filter ($30), he added the extra oil and labor at no charge.

Thanks again guys!
Great!

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
I just wanted to add as others have mentioned that if ONLY the fluid and filter are changed it's 7 litres (7.4 qt).

IF the transmission was completely overhauled and the torque converter was drained or replaced it's 8.1 litres (17.1 pints) or 8.5 quarts.

I don't know where this 14 quarts comes from, but by my calculations it would be drastically overfilled.

Bernie

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Forgot to include this attachment...

Bernie

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Were they BS-ing me? I ALWAYS swapped filters when I changed tranny oil. I know the manual says the fluid / filter is good to 100K but did this dealer BS in telling me Chrysler does not recommend opening the pan and changing the filter. This sounds F'd-up.

As for them telling me 14qts, instead of 7, it leads me to believe I just got hosed big time.

Thanks
I just noticed this little tid bit. I don't know where you're getting the 100K from, but both Schedule A and B call for BOTH the fluid and filter to be changed at 60,000 miles. Coincidently, 60,000 miles is 100,000 kilometers BTW. Maybe that's where you get that number from???

I think you need to discuss this with the service manager for not changing the filter as required in the manual and especially for charging you for double what the transmission requires to fill.

Yeah, if what I'm reading into this I'd say you were hosed. In Canada we call dealers like this "real hosers", but only when holding a Molson Canadian.

Bernie

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yeah, if what I'm reading into this I'd say you were hosed. In Canada we call dealers like this "real hosers", but only when holding a Molson Canadian.

Bernie
"Canadian" doesn't exist in La Belle Province, mon ami Bernie. I can't imagine why.......here it's all Ex and Blue (Bud as well, but that doesn't count).

I think he should find another dealer and take his business elsewhere. Which american dealer would convert miles into kilometers for the sake of their american customer? And you are right, it is 7 litres (7.4 quarts). I did the conversion the other way for my american neighbour.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
"Canadian" doesn't exist in La Belle Province, mon ami Bernie. I can't imagine why.......here it's all Ex and Blue (Bud as well, but that doesn't count).

I think he should find another dealer and take his business elsewhere. Which american dealer would convert miles into kilometers for the sake of their american customer? And you are right, it is 7 litres (7.4 quarts). I did the conversion the other way for my american neighbour.
I shamefully admit to drinking Blue for years!!!

Bernie

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

First the important information: I was (and still am) partial to crossing the bridge from Detroit to Windsor to frequent what I believe is called across Canada, the aptly named "Beer Store." I could have tried for years and not come up with a name as solid as that. Mr. John Labatt's Extra Stock was my flavor of choice until discontnued. I'd like some feedback on suitable (and just as potent) replacement. I'm settling for XXX of late.

As mentioned, I had time to use your info and call Brampton to verify what the dealer was telling me. No surprise the Brampton folks told me they (or Chrysler) has NEVER told the dealer not to change filters at regular change intervals.

When I shared the Brampton info with the service manager, he quickly explained I could have had the filter changed but it would cost extra. At that point I had to tell him when his service "write-up" folks advise customers "Chrysler" recommends NOT to change filters, they would be reluctant to do so unless they had the correct information right in front of them.

I then asked him to explain why I was in effect paying him $170 to pump out my old fluid and pour in fresh stuff. I also asked why I was being charged for 14 qts. of oil. I had to chuckle at his reply. This dealer supposedly charges customers a "fixed price" for fluid whether it takes 7 qts. or 14 qts, therefore that was the reason 14 qts. was quoted.

He also said that by changing the tranny oil at the dealer it keeps the warranty in place or it "is warrantied." I'm not sure what he meant by this since my car only had 3/36 coverage.

Regardless, as MC mentioned, I know to stay away from this place. They did cut the price of the filter down to $22, no charge for the extra oil and labor to put the car back on the hoist so I guess it could have been worse.

Time to find the Beer Store!

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Good for you!!! You did your homework. Now, never go there again. Why not slip up to the Great White North, grab some real beer and have your car serviced up here? Honestly though, we just don't seem to get anywhere near the complaints of service like what you've gone through up here.

Bernie

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
One more thing damnit...haha. You've contacted Brampton for this, now to complete the job I suggest you contact the Chrysler Customer Advisory Board and tell them the load of crap this dealer told you about charging double for the ATF and not changing the filter.

Chrysler is looking to cut these kind of dealers out of the picture. They give all dealers a bad rap. Here's some contact info:

Phone
1-800-992-1997
Email
Send us a message
Mail
Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
P.O. Box 21-8004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004

Bernie

·
Registered
774 Posts
Good for you!!! You did your homework. Now, never go there again. Why not slip up to the Great White North, grab some real beer and have your car serviced up here? Honestly though, we just don't seem to get anywhere near the complaints of service like what you've gone through up here.

Bernie
I agree! :beerchug:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts