Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done cleaning today and I thought I'd check the fluid levels. To my suprise the coolant is about 1/4 inch below minimun and the brake fluid is at the Add line! The car is only two months old. Now has anyone else noticed this in their cars? Aren't dealer suppose to check this before they sell the car to you? Kind of scary not to have the transsmission fluid dipstick to check!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
rbb2000 said:
I just got done cleaning today and I thought I'd check the fluid levels. To my suprise the coolant is about 1/4 inch below minimun and the brake fluid is at the Add line! The car is only two months old. Now has anyone else noticed this in their cars? Aren't dealer suppose to check this before they sell the car to you? Kind of scary not to have the transsmission fluid dipstick to check!
Yep, they are supposed to check it.
On the flip side, my oil level is always 3/16 above the top of the SAFE line. The hemi takes 7 quarts of oil. 7 quarts always exceeds the SAFE line. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I to have noticed overfill on the oil, have not noticed any low levels. Newsflash rbb: most dealer svc depts.are idiots, of course your fluids were not checked, shameful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
II kings 9:20 said:
I to have noticed overfill on the oil, have not noticed any low levels. Newsflash rbb: most dealer svc depts.are idiots, of course your fluids were not checked, shameful.
II Kings,

I agree with you that their collective IQ is probably very low, but this is the problem. Our cars use the orange stuff for coolant and I have called four auto stores, Murray's Discount Auto, AutoZone, AdvanceAuto Parts, and Pep Boys, and none of them carry Valvoline Zerex G-05 which is OEM. THe only thing they carry is Peak & Prestone and they are all Dex-Cool is OAT not HOAT like G-05.

I'm sure the dealer will top them off but that means I'll have to take time off work to stop by there and do you think they'll do this quickly, hell no! It took them 8 hours to do tire balance and rotation. So even if I take it there do you think they'll use distilled water for the mix, hell no! So I think I'm stuck with purchasing a gallon of Mopar at the Dealer at x2 price. Not really a big deal but its time off that I can't afford right now due to some very important deadlines.

However, my car has performed extremely well in MI humid conditions. HWY temp never get above 206 with average 203 @ 85 mph so I'm sure its not affecting performance. Even sitting in traffic it barely passes 210. With that said i think I'll just leave as is right now but I may end up buying a gallon of coolant and storing it in my garage because apparantly is hard to find in auto stores.

FYI: Newer Chrysler, Jeep & Dodge vehicles use Coolant with HOAT and the only one that I could find was Valvoline Zerex G-05 which apparantley is also the manufacturer for Mopar Coolant.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Interesting, I got some Prestone that is compatible with all coolants, don't know the specifics on it. You are correct rbb, distilled water is a foreign concept just like using a torque wrench on your lug nuts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts