Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those anywhere, really.. Yesterday, I saw someone grab their cellphone and start using it while driving. They go by, a cop goes by, and lights and sirens follow. :scared: :friday: :cop: :eek:wned2:

It was awesome.. possibly the best thing I've seen in a while.

I know some of ya'll are all for liberties in such that if someone wants to kill themselves due to their own stupidity, you're happy to let em, so am I, but the only way they'd only risk their own lives while doing something as stupid as being on the phone while driving if is they have a whole race track to themselves.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The law is so stupid. The most dangerous things are dialing and text messaging which were not part of the law. Talking on a cell phone is probably dangereous but dialing and text messaging are a lot more dangerous. You need to take your eyes off the road to do these. Regards, Bob.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
The law is so stupid. The most dangerous things are dialing and text messaging which were not part of the law. Talking on a cell phone is probably dangereous but dialing and text messaging are a lot more dangerous. You need to take your eyes off the road to do these. Regards, Bob.

This law was created before text messaging really took off as of recently. There are amendments in the works to rectify the more dangrous aspects of using cell phones while driving but we won't see it take effect for a while due to the speed of our state legislation. I almost got hit twice on Monday, 1 day before the law took effect, by idiots who, guess what, were using their phones with their eyes off the road!

·
Registered
435 Posts
know what, slightly flawed but I LOVE IT:heart: !!! this is a great law wish they had it all over, or at least here in TX. I would say leave it to good judgment if you can dial n drive (chat n drive what ever) but more recently when I have seen some one swerving, almost hit me, almost hit someone else, or just do something totally stupid :dunce: they have been on the damn phone , pardon my expression but that is how I feel.:AR15firin
Hang up n Drive America... I am guilty of driving with my radio up at times and actually had someone wave at me at a stop light and RUDELY said, :12: "Do you mind turning that down, I'm on the phone..." I wasn't thumping or bumping or what ever they call it but I had to laugh :jester: at this the irony of this person saying this while driving..:twak: .
I say you wanna chit chat with out hands free be prepared to pay a fee...:squintfin

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If the driver was driving badly (as a result of using the phone to text/dial while driving), they could always get a wreckless driving ticket.

Unfortunately 90% of the time I see a great example of an unsafe lane change, speeding or wreckless driving, there's not a cop to be found.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm happy with this law. It is already the law that you cannot do anything distracting while driving, but cops rarely enforced it. Too many times I've been stuck behind an idiot on the freeway doing 50 in a 65 mile zone talking on their phone. Since I have such a great car with Bluetooth built in, this law doesn't inconvenience me one bit.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Topfuel, the scariest thing I've seen is a semi truck driver doing 80 in a 65 while on a cellphone XD

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hi Guys. Don't get me wrong. I just think texting and dialing are more dangerous and should be added. Regards, Bob.

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
Topfuel, the scariest thing I've seen is a semi truck driver doing 80 in a 65 while on a cellphone XD
I can relate.... as it has come to my attention that the driver of the dump truck that hit me going 75 mph in zero fog/smoke visibility was on his cell phone!!!!!!!!!!! :scared: I think he should have also been applying make-up and eating or even reading his mail. Why the hell not! The world is full of asshats!:pat:

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can relate.... as it has come to my attention that the driver of the dump truck that hit me going 75 mph in zero fog/smoke visibility was on his cell phone!!!!!!!!!!! :scared: I think he should have also been applying make-up and eating or even reading his mail. Why the hell not! The world is full of asshats!:pat:
As I said before dude, the scary/sad thing is that he will likely be able to drive again sometime soon in the future

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Hi Guys. Don't get me wrong. I just think texting and dialing are more dangerous and should be added. Regards, Bob.
Absolutely, as I stated in the post above! Eyes off the road while texting/dialing means eyes not on me or others driving next to them...not a good mix!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Texting is definitely taking away too much attention unless it is some TTS thingy.

Dialing can be done at moments when it is safe. These things can be voice operated now too.

Unfortunately some people with no discretion and brains create problems for everyone.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Since I have such a great car with Bluetooth built in, this law doesn't inconvenience me one bit.
Agreed. When I was looking for an aftermarket NAV, this was a must because I really do feel it's very convenient. Headsets are great too.

Maybe it's just me but before I got my bluetooth, talking on the phone was never a distraction. I could see how dialing and especially text messaging could be but I don't know about just plain old talking. I tried to be very conscious to tell the person to hold on if I was approaching a situation or doing something where I felt I needed both hands or my undivided attention. However, it doesn't seem like most people care.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Agreed. When I was looking for an aftermarket NAV, this was a must because I really do feel it's very convenient. Headsets are great too.

Maybe it's just me but before I got my bluetooth, talking on the phone was never a distraction. I could see how dialing and especially text messaging could be but I don't know about just plain old talking. I tried to be very conscious to tell the person to hold on if I was approaching a situation or doing something where I felt I needed both hands or my undivided attention. However, it doesn't seem like most people care.

If people did at least this ^^^ where the driving was more important than the conversation it MIGHT be a little better but most people IMO in CA think the world can wait for them and their conversation and everyone else should be looking out for them.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have been using cell phones for over 12 years now and never felt convenient when I had to use them when driving. They are not always distracting, but definitely inconvenient especially when if driving standard. I never liked wired headsets due to all the mess with wires, but BT is a very very good technology.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think its a great law, I live in Ontario Canada and we don't have the law (yet), but in Quebec (which is a 10 min drive from where I am in Ottawa) they got it and I can't wait for it to become law here too.

When I see people swerve or drive oddly, I say, this guys drunk, no wait hes probably on a cell phone. Most of the time the person IS on the phone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts