Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ask your dealer to NOT install the front license plate holder!

They drill into your front fascia for install, and it you remove the license frame holder...you now have 2 holes in your fascia that serve no purpose (I wish I would have known).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unfortunately, I live in Texas and I believe a front license plate is required. Though, I've driven my 98 Mustang GT without one for the past 4 years and haven't been stopped. I'll probably request it be left off when it arrives, and see what the dealership says.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good God people, has anyone here been stopped for lack of a front plate? I have been driving for 25 years w/o one and never had a problem.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Required here in Ohio, I am running naked without a problem for now. If I ever get stopped, I'll start to use one, no point in getting Rodney Kinged. One down side to going plateless is I can't use my antilaser plate shield and they aim laser for the next best spot, the headlight for which there is no protection. Keep the plate under the seat and if asked claim there is a recall on the bracket and you have the front plate. Make sure the constable knows you are reaching for the plate and not a gun as to not get your pretty leather seats all splattered up with your brains.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Here in Canada its is required that the dealer put the front plate holder. You can not request not to have it drilled because all cars made or imported into Canada must have front plate holders. Only province that doesn't need a front plate is Alberta. Its a $120 ticket for not having a plate here but the 2nd or 3rd time they'll take the car from you and hold it until its installed with a front plate holder.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
300Con23s said:
Its a $120 ticket for not having a plate here but the 2nd or 3rd time they'll take the car from you and hold it until its installed with a front plate holder.
Just curious, but if they take the car from you, how are you going to get the bracket installed?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
300Con23s said:
Here in Canada its is required that the dealer put the front plate holder. You can not request not to have it drilled because all cars made or imported into Canada must have front plate holders. Only province that doesn't need a front plate is Alberta. Its a $120 ticket for not having a plate here but the 2nd or 3rd time they'll take the car from you and hold it until its installed with a front plate holder.
We have not had to have front plates here in Alberta for about 6-7 years and only because the government were too cheap to put out new plates as we have had the same plates for approx. 25-30 years and some of the old plates are full of cracking and can't be read by any type of radar, plus instead of using reflective paint like we had in the past, they are using straight paint. We can't even get the government to supply veterans plates and we are awash in money and have no debt. Go figure!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well they'll impound your car until you buy a frame bracket and it installed or if you do get a ticket for no plate you can dispute and show proof that you've had the plate frame installed. I know it sounds far fetched and is hard to believe that the police would go as far as impounding your car but i've been warned and almost close to having my car impounded for not having a front plate. Ya I cop buddy was telling me why Alberta doesn't require front plates and really it comes down to saving money which makes sense.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've run w/o a front plate on my Mustang GT Vert for 5 years, so I'm not worried about not having one where I live.
My issue is that I now have 2 holes in my pretty new 300 that should not be there.
I may or may not mount the plate, but as I ordered the EG grill, I'll have to lower the plate holder.. So the 2 holes the dealer drilled in the stock location are useless. :(
I would have liked to have had some input is all...Just my .02 for those that haven't taken delivery.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I wish that in Australia we could have that clean custom look without a front number plate but it ain't gonna happen. We are so heavily policed here with over the limit speed tolerance of 3 KPH (2.2 MPH) and the fixed speed cameras (revenue cameras) are mounted on overhead gantries taking photos of the front of your vehicle.

Motorbikes are the only vehicle that are allowed to have no front plate but they are working to change that too.

We also have a system of tolling on some road with a device called an "eTag" which registers your travel on toll roads. If you don't have an eTag in the car they take a picture of the front and bill & fine you. :mad:

·
Registered
765 Posts
i stopped my sales person just before he put on the front plate holder. thank god for that. luckily here in fla we dont have to have one on the front

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Shame to get pulled over for no front plate and then get a DWI.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Hey Hemi 57, at least you have high quality water to bathe your C with, I guess you can't have everything. I got back from Indy and seemingly had tar everywhere,easily wiped off with soapy wet clay, you will be impressed when you get yours.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In So. Cal you are inviting a visit from the local police. LA Country Sheriff is has been watching traffic for about 2 years and handing out fix-it tickets if you have no front plate. I got caught about 1 1/2 years ago. For you fellow So Cal folks, don't drive your car to LAX without a plate. LAPD is is writing up cars in the parking lot and all cars in the loop that don't have plates. I"ve got four friends who were sited in the past two weeks. Damm, front plates sure look ugly but what can you do :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
Hey Hemi 57, at least you have high quality water to bathe your C with, I guess you can't have everything. I got back from Indy and seemingly had tar everywhere,easily wiped off with soapy wet clay, you will be impressed when you get yours.
II king 9:20, ;) yeah what water we have is good quality but still in drought. I'll be over there in just over 4 weeks and you can bank on it, I will be buying "Clay".

You keep that beast looking great :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
LOTHP said:
In the past, with the font plate carried in the car, I've successfully used the excuse that a car wash tore off the frame and I haven't repaired it yet.
You must spend a lot of time (and money) washing your car!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts