Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for those who need a front plate on their car and do not want to block the grille with the factory bracket, or those with aftermarket grilles and dont have any way to fasten the bracket, ive come up with a solution to this problem...after contemplating what to do i decided to go to the dealer and get a 2nd bracket to modify to come up with a solution, Take note to the pics as i will try to describe what i did...

Note the tabs that clip into the grille, and the tab in the middle. They need to be cut off with a Dremel or a hacksaw blade works just fine, make sure to cut them down enough where as when you hold the bracket and look down on it you cant see the cut portions of where the tabs were, now the sides of the bracket protrude out to contour the bumper these little bits must be cut as flush as possible, try to follow the contour of the bracket as you cut, after making your cuts check the fitment on the car and remove any high spots on the bracket so it sits flush, notice in the pics...Pics are before and after...

Before.

After.

Now the jagged cut edges looked ugly so i went to Pep Boys and picked up some door edge molding and applied it around the braket using a propane torch to gently heat the molding as i curved it around the bracket, it turned out better than i thought it would...

Next i positioned it on the car and judged where to drill some holes through the bracket so that i could mount it to the car and hit the bumper, as you can see in the picture, i put some screws in the holes to show where i made the holes...

Next comes the cringe part...time to make some holes in the bumper i forgot to take pictures at this point cause i was by myself, so use your imagination...the bracket contours well to the bumper below the grille so line it up perfectly and drill your holes, runs some screws into the bumper to attach the bracket, install your plate, anchor it down, and enjoy being able to see your entire grille without having a plate blocking it....

Any other questions just ask me, im sure i forgot to mention something in there somewhere...

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
i think the general consensus is not how to attach the license plate onto the bumper, but instead it is how to install the plate without drilling holes.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think the general consensus is not how to attach the license plate onto the bumper, but instead it is how to install the plate without drilling holes.
Im workin on that as well...stay tuned

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
I did the same thing using a template from Mr DJ to trim the sides, but because mine was already screwed on I carefully lined it up and used the same holes in the fascia by drilling new ones in the holder.

I found it a lot easier to use a large pair of scissors rather than the Dremel tool. The edges were a lot cleaner.

Bernie

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the same thing using a template from Mr DJ to trim the sides, but because mine was already screwed on I carefully lined it up and used the same holes in the fascia by drilling new ones in the holder.

I found it a lot easier to use a large pair of scissors rather than the Dremel tool. The edges were a lot cleaner.

Bernie
Hmm never thought of the scissors...or maybe even some snips...good deal

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
This is the template that was posted by Mr DJ about 3 years ago. It has to be printed out full size though through a graphics program that allows this. I found it good enough to get the job done. The scissors I used are large office type ones about a foot long. I found I had better control using them and like I said the edges were a lot cleaner.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I used tin snips to cut mine to shape and fine tuned it with my Swiss Army knife. It sure is nice to see the whole unobstructed grill.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used tin snips to cut mine to shape and fine tuned it with my Swiss Army knife. It sure is nice to see the whole unobstructed grill.
thats what im saying, i mean the clipping it to the grille doesnt look too bad, but if you have a aftermarket grille or are planning on getting one, you dont have many options, Being able to see the entire grille is soooooo nice...:biggrin:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the template that was posted by Mr DJ about 3 years ago. It has to be printed out full size though through a graphics program that allows this. I found it good enough to get the job done. The scissors I used are large office type ones about a foot long. I found I had better control using them and like I said the edges were a lot cleaner.

Bernie
Nice, i just eyed it up

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Yeah, but for those of us who had the dealer put the holes in we're screwed anyway.

Bernie

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no need to work on it

user "SRT-DESIGN" has already produced the no-drill license plate. its perfect
Dude, who says i cant try to make something to work as well??? Jeez! why is this even an argument? The Bracket SRT made was awesome and im sure works really well, but there are other ways to do things and im trying to find that way...im trying to be innovative

Yeah, but for those of us who had the dealer put the holes in we're screwed anyway.

Bernie
Thanks Bern, you get my point...

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
lol, not arguing, not one bit.. but good luck, maybe you can beat him to it on the SRT-8 (or any lip for that matter) no-drill license plates. his only work on base, touring, and C models....so far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts