Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have figured out that I don’t know jack about speakers, amps or any of it. So, I am going to take my car to a professional to do the work. What I am looking for is quality sound, without cutting holes or having tweeters out in the open. If I want to keep the factory Nav unit what pieces will I need. I live in Hershey, PA and the only place that I can find that sells higher-end equipment locally is Tweeter. Their install guys fixed a mess that CC created in my Saab convt. I liked the aftermarket BA’s that I listened to at the store, the highs weren’t as harsh as the MB’s and the Kappa’s in my convt. So as to not get hosed what pieces do I need? I need an amp to drive the doors and the rears, what type and how big? Speaker level inputs, does that make things easier? Do 6 ½ -6 ¾ components sound any different than the 6x9 components in real world applications. When you listen in the store it is totally different than how it will sound in your car. Sorry if I seem dumb, but I am looking for advice from those that know. There needs to be one of those “idiots guide to upgrading your car audio” books, I need the step by step. Thanks in advance for your help.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product_line.asp

·
Registered
580 Posts
"higher end" equipment can be misleading.. expensive doesn't necessarily equate with quality. Ask people where you live who love sound where they get their work done.. I wasted a big pile of money on "top shelf" components and all my money combined with a crap install just ruined the stereo. After asking around and an awesome recommendation from Rogue I finally got everything fixed at a shop where craftsmanship and genuine interest in helping the customer were priorities.. not just selling the most expensive components on the display floor.

ask around .. find a good shop, and then have them work with you and your budget to get the most bang for your buck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
jrgreen, I know that I am planning on the same type thing, and as for getting the signal to the amps, the guys I work with recommended I go with the "Clean Sweep" from JL Audio. Apparently you connect all the speaker wires from the stock unit to this unit and it cleans the signal to an almost aftermarket level for the amps. Its for people like us that have the stock Navi and don't want to have to spend 4500 on another navi combo to get the aftermaket signal. It isn't coming out until middle of march though, so you may be out of luck if you wanted to do everything right now. I guess you could always covert your hi-lo convertors to the clean sweep later, but its up to you and the shop you ultimately go with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts