Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try this to see if you're experiancing the same problem/bug as I am.

When you come back home from crusing around for the day, turn on your favorite track or station on the radio and shut the car off in the garage and don't open the doors so you can listen and rock out to the music while you wait for this to happen.....

Set your EVIC to the MPG readout before you get home and note where it is.

Make sure the "keep accessories on for XXX minutes after car is shut off" is set long enough to enjoy the music.

Shut the engine off and remain in the car while watching your MPG go DOWN while the engine is off...... This makes me skeptical as to how accurate the system is as the only thing that could cause MPG to go down while the engine isn't running is either a leak or a theft.... Or just poor programming on someone's part..

Try it out and see if you get the same thing I do, I'm kind of curious.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, i noticed that. Another bug, well not really a bug, but a funny thing to do, is find a long downhill road, reset the EVIC MPG average, coast down it in 2nd or 3rd gear (whichever one keeps you under, or a little over the speed limit so you dont get a ticket...). Coast about half way down the hill, then touch the gas enough to rev the engine and accelerate a little. Your MPG will jump WAY UP. best i got was somewhere around 8,500 MPG. It was great.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I spoke to my service manager about my evac mpg readings being off. He said that it was just ment to be a close guess not to take it too seriously!

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Lord Chuckles said:
Yeah, i noticed that. Another bug, well not really a bug, but a funny thing to do, is find a long downhill road, reset the EVIC MPG average, coast down it in 2nd or 3rd gear (whichever one keeps you under, or a little over the speed limit so you dont get a ticket...). Coast about half way down the hill, then touch the gas enough to rev the engine and accelerate a little. Your MPG will jump WAY UP. best i got was somewhere around 8,500 MPG. It was great.
8,500 MPG on a digital display with 2 numerals to the left of the decimel point and one to the right?
Mayhaps your display is the problem!?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
HaTaX said:
Try this to see if you're experiancing the same problem/bug as I am.

When you come back home from crusing around for the day, turn on your favorite track or station on the radio and shut the car off in the garage and don't open the doors so you can listen and rock out to the music while you wait for this to happen.....

Set your EVIC to the MPG readout before you get home and note where it is.

Make sure the "keep accessories on for XXX minutes after car is shut off" is set long enough to enjoy the music.

Shut the engine off and remain in the car while watching your MPG go DOWN while the engine is off...... This makes me skeptical as to how accurate the system is as the only thing that could cause MPG to go down while the engine isn't running is either a leak or a theft.... Or just poor programming on someone's part..

Try it out and see if you get the same thing I do, I'm kind of curious.
You may be closer to the answer with the leak idea than you think. It could be fuel pressure bleeding back to the tank thru the fuel system, an internal leak if you will.

It's one thing to have an idea of the kind of mileage you're getting so that you might detect a problem by the excessive fuel consumption problem, but running around watching that average number might be dangerous.

I had a Sebring loaner while my PCM was being replaced. That thing could displayfuel economy continuously. On a down hill coast it would peg the digital display at 99 MPG.

It's all just a numbers game. If you really want to see numbers that mean something, try to figure out how to make it display the cost of the fuel going out the tailpipe. With the way the price of gas is headed you'll want to be sure you have enough money in the debit account BEFORE you pull in to fill up!

·
Registered
79 Posts
DESIREE said:
8,500 MPG on a digital display with 2 numerals to the left of the decimel point and one to the right?
Mayhaps your display is the problem!?
What makes you think it only has 2 numerals to the left? Best I've been able to get has been 2633.8 MPG coasting down hill and hitting RESET. 8500! Wow, at that rate I could drive cross country on a big gulp cup of gas. (If it were only true.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts