Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
**** Important, Important, Important**** if you have a facelifted 300C from 2008 onwards, this mod may not work. Decide if you want to take the chance before proceeding.

Unbelievable but true.

I am very grateful to Urbanchemist who sent me this link that he had found on another forum.

It took me about 30 seconds and now I to have automatic headlights.

Simple instructions

From my working, you do not need to remove the entire switch, just the revolving knob. Take care when "prying " the knob from the switch as it is quite easy to mark the plastic (not that you or anyone else can see it though)

then 30 seconds later et voila automatic headlights.

Then it's a simple matter of opening up the EVIC Easter Egg and deciding how sensitive you want it to be. The higher the number, the darker it will need to be to put the lights on. Now you can just leave it in auto and let the sensor do the business.

MTC

·
Registered
177 Posts
Murphy The Cat said:
Unbelievable but true.

Urbanchemist sent me this link that he had found on another forum.

It took me about 30 seconds and now I to have automatic headlights.

Simple instructions

From my working, you do not need to remove the entire switch, just the revolving knob. Take care when "prying " the knob from the switch as it is quite easy to mark the plastic (not that you or anyone else can see it though)

then 30 seconds later et voila automatic headlights.

Then it's a simple matter of opening up the EVIC Easter Egg and deciding how sensitive you want it to be. The higher the number, the darker it will need to be to put the lights on. Now you can just leave it in auto and let the sensor do the business.

MTC
Thank you for that MTC will try it in the morning.

THIS IS A GREAT FORUM LOTS OF FRIENDLY ADVICE WHAT COULD BE BETTER!!

BB:01:

·
Registered
177 Posts
WHAT IS "opening up the EVIC Easter Egg" and how do you do it

BB

·
Registered
111 Posts
Please be careful!!

MTC and I tried this one out today at lunchtime and like the ****y predicted (sharp today murph) I have auto headlights. Two cautions though, one from the sparky in our very own workshop and one straight from DCUK aftersales.

1. Once you remove the dial from the facia you will partly expose a printed circuit board. The instructions MTC uncovered clearly state that the gap should be plugged before work commences. It fails to mention that you MUST NOT touch the pcb surface with any object as static charges do no favours to circuit boards.

2. Be careful when setting the sensitivity of the sensor. Pre sep 2005 software doesn't support the adjustment (flash update required). It is better, i am assured by our friendly technical chap from DC, to opt for a higher number in the setting. Apparently Xenon lights do not respond well to constantly being turned on and off. Too low a number will cause the lights to activate in shaded areas etc. reducing the life of the unit.

That aside, Great find murph!! Isn't it mad that this is fitted, functional and paid for but then blocked from use by a 5mm plastic tag!

Belmont

·
Registered
765 Posts
i am glad you guys overseas are able to use this simple "free" mod to get the autio headlights. enjoy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Be Aware!!

Quick heads up for all the UK drivers thinking of attempting to enable the auto headlights facility. DCUK have picked up that this mod is being carried out, presumably from this very site.

We received a call this morning advising us NOT to carry out the alterations and to advise customers against it if asked. DC will invalidate all warranty related to lighting systems if the auto lights are enabled!!!!:irked:

Not good news, but better that we are all aware of it!!

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Belmont CJ said:
Quick heads up for all the UK drivers thinking of attempting to enable the auto headlights facility. DCUK have picked up that this mod is being carried out, presumably from this very site.

We received a call this morning advising us NOT to carry out the alterations and to advise customers against it if asked. DC will invalidate all warranty related to lighting systems if the auto lights are enabled!!!!:irked:

Oh Bugger, lets hope that my lights don't pack up then !

Any other good news to share with us this morning ?

MTC

·
Registered
504 Posts
Belmont CJ said:

Morning Belmont....

Any indication why DCUK are totally against this mod particularly when it could be undertaken by DC qualified technicians?

Regards

Geordie

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Belmont CJ said:

errr Belmont

how does this effect the 2 cars that you modded on Friday ?

if I've dropped you in it, sorry.:scared:

MTC

·
Registered
111 Posts
Murphy The Cat said:
errr Belmont

how does this effect the 2 cars that you modded on Friday ?

if I've dropped you in it, sorry.:scared:

MTC
Afternoon Gents! No more happy news at present. DC's argument is along the lines of, "we knew it was there and chose not to turn it on for a reason!" Our tech guy hinted that they are examining the possibility of making the correct switch available to "properly" activate the auto headlamps.

It should probably be reiterated that Xenon bulbs do not respond well to frequent turning on and off so those who have activated the setting, check the sensitivity in EVIC and go for a darker setting!

·
Registered
765 Posts
honestly i dont think this will cause any kind of damage to the lighting system. obviously any mod that is done to any car is done at the owners risk and could lead to voiding of certain parts of the warranty. people have been doing it to there magnums for 2 years now and not one person has ever had any kinda of problem. anyways. those who choose to do this enjoy.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
urbanchemist said:
honestly i dont think this will cause any kind of damage to the lighting system. obviously any mod that is done to any car is done at the owners risk and could lead to voiding of certain parts of the warranty. people have been doing it to there magnums for 2 years now and not one person has ever had any kinda of problem. anyways. those who choose to do this enjoy.
I would be very surprised at this also, even with HIDs. For example the Heritage Edition we have on order comes with HIDs as OEM equipment. Do you suppose it doesn't have the auto-headlight function because of that?

Chromer has one already, and a couple of others could answer if they happen to read this thread. The only danger, if you want to all it that, is the mention of car being taken to not damage the circuit board behind the knob/switch whilst trying to take the knob off, etc. Obviously if damage were to occur that way... would not be covered by warranty... but otherwise... just having auto-lights functional, when the function is already there, just blocked or not enabled" seems silly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
GoofyTimL said:
I would be very surprised at this also, even with HIDs. For example the Heritage Edition we have on order comes with HIDs as OEM equipment. Do you suppose it doesn't have the auto-headlight function because of that?

Chromer has one already, and a couple of others could answer if they happen to read this thread. The only danger, if you want to all it that, is the mention of car being taken to not damage the circuit board behind the knob/switch whilst trying to take the knob off, etc. Obviously if damage were to occur that way... would not be covered by warranty... but otherwise... just having auto-lights functional, when the function is already there, just blocked or not enabled" seems silly.
Besides.... isn't this an option you can have installed by the dealer? Are they going to remove the Xeon light with standard lights when you ask them to install a auto light option?

Besides.... I got two other cars that have Xeon light and both have auto lights.

·
Registered
111 Posts
mathijskok said:
Besides.... isn't this an option you can have installed by the dealer? Are they going to remove the Xeon light with standard lights when you ask them to install a auto light option?

Besides.... I got two other cars that have Xeon light and both have auto lights.
Quite right mathisjok, however there is at present no option in the UK to specify auto lights. The switch required to, "properly" enable the feature is not an available part for UK vehicles. As such DC are, to the letter of the law, bang to rights to invalidate part of the warranty as the car has been altered from origional specification.

I should add at this point that it would be a very sharp dealer who noticed the mod had been carried out!

At last check DC are looking at making the correct switch available to dealers in the UK.

·
Registered
504 Posts
At last check DC are looking at making the correct switch available to dealers in the UK.[/quote]

Hi again Belmont...

That would make complete common sense. Trust you will post eventual result for us?

Regards

Geordie

·
Registered
153 Posts
I haven't been following this post too closely but it now caught my interest. Since here in Funland it is mandatory to keep the lights on at all times I would like to know if the headlight switch can be left "on" and the lights will shut down after you lock the doors and leave or will they stay on until the battery goes dead?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Murph

I think you started this Thread at least for the UK guys

Anyway I did the mod today with no probs.

Just one thing the guys in Oz all seem to be ordering new switches to get the "A" to the left of the off position. Why not just buy a transfer if you want the "A" :pat:

So thanks for posting the advice. If you have had auto lights on a diffrent car you will know how useful it is

Jester

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Murph

I think you started this Thread at least for the UK guys

Anyway I did the mod today with no probs.

Just one thing the guys in Oz all seem to be ordering new switches to get the "A" to the left of the off position. Why not just buy a transfer if you want the "A" :pat:

So thanks for posting the advice. If you have had auto lights on a diffrent car you will know how useful it is

Jester
Thats why we shipped em away all of those years ago :biggrin:

& Jester, you're right, auto lights are grand.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Afternoon Gents! No more happy news at present. DC's argument is along the lines of, "we knew it was there and chose not to turn it on for a reason!" Our tech guy hinted that they are examining the possibility of making the correct switch available to "properly" activate the auto headlamps.

It should probably be reiterated that Xenon bulbs do not respond well to frequent turning on and off so those who have activated the setting, check the sensitivity in EVIC and go for a darker setting!
There is a standard option in the EVIC to have the headlights turn on for 30 seconds ( variable) with the remote key unlock so it would appear the lighting system is capable of this duty.

Though one would wonder why auto headlights are not standard in Europe, maybe the marketing bods wanted to hold something back for the future.

Thanks again Murphy - superb contribution to the forum! - give that man a free drink!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts