Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2016 300S I have religiously done conventional oil and filter changes at my mechanic every 5K miles Am not at 50K total miles FWW and owned the car since ~22K miles.

How often do others do/recommend this service on their 300s? I began to wonder if I was doing this too frequently after checking the oil life monitor on my cars screen. See attachment below. Around ~5K miles after an oil change the gauge is typically around 50% but I've been changing it.

Do others consistently let the gauge run down to 0% before an oil change? By doing some guestimating this would be around every 10K miles and I am wondering if I have been doing oil changes too frequently at every 5K?

Appreciate anyone's input and thoughts. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Which motor? I'm still new to the 300S - 5137 miles since last October. Mine has the 5.7L and Alloy trim package. Dealer changed the oil/filter at about 3,000 miles back in April. I noticed a noisy valve train upon cold restart if I didn't let the motor completely warm up during the previous driving cycle before parking. In June, I switched over to the Pennzoil 5w-20 Ultra Platinum and SRT filter, hoping it would correct the noisy condition - nope. People here and elsewhere stated this is a normal characteristic for the 5.7 motor - still a bit disconcerting.

Regarding your question: For normal use, service the car once per year no matter the mileage, as long as the car isn't experiencing 'severe duty'.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
5k with dino oil is a perfectly reasonable OCI.

If you'd like to go a bit longer, say 7500 or so, consider switching to a full synthetic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Every 3000 miles with SRT Filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would go crazy with 4 vehicles in this household changing every 5k. I use this and it lasts for a year or up to 15k and simplifies things for me, also it is synthetic and lasts/protects way better.

If your engine is a 3.6 L you can try this:
www.searchforparts.com/oil-change/chrysler-2008-300-2.7l-r

if it is a 5.7, this:
www.searchforparts.com/oil-change/chrysler-2016-300-5.7l-t

also you will see the type of tranny, differential and coolant your vehicle uses, at the end of the day any synthetic will do, the links are just suggestions since I use the stuff and have had zero problems over the years, upgrade from the conventional to any synthetic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Which motor? I'm still new to the 300S - 5137 miles since last October. Mine has the 5.7L and Alloy trim package. Dealer changed the oil/filter at about 3,000 miles back in April. I noticed a noisy valve train upon cold restart if I didn't let the motor completely warm up during the previous driving cycle before parking. In June, I switched over to the Pennzoil 5w-20 Ultra Platinum and SRT filter, hoping it would correct the noisy condition - nope. People here and elsewhere stated this is a normal characteristic for the 5.7 motor - still a bit disconcerting.

Regarding your question: For normal use, service the car once per year no matter the mileage, as long as the car isn't experiencing 'severe duty'. View attachment 176616
Dino oil can turn into sludge or just gum things up. If Penzoil Platinum Ultra does not work after giving it some time, then I would try Castrol Edge in the gold colored bottle or their high mileage synthetic if you have high mileage. Use the Mopar brand oil filter. You could also try Redline oil 5w30. I have heard that this oil quiets noisy 5.7L s. Higher mileage engines can sometimes benefit going up just slightly in weight.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I do my oil changes at the dealer every 5k miles. I believe it is regular oil and not synthetic or a hybrid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts