Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one had this done yet????

had mine done yesterday for a left pull at hwy speeds. They had to keep the car for two days.....evidently it's not a very easy process.....but she does drive straight as an arrow now

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Not yet John, but its only a matter of time. My C pulls to the left a bit also, but it may be the conti's, I don't know. I'll see if its still a problem on my mid-tour leave from Iraq this summer or fall. Hope it solved your problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
jconnolly1119 said:
any one had this done yet????

had mine done yesterday for a left pull at hwy speeds. They had to keep the car for two days.....evidently it's not a very easy process.....but she does drive straight as an arrow now
Sounds more like the dealer didn't get around to doing it in time and had to keep the car a second day. I got mine aligned a couple of months ago, and mine also took two days. I made an appointment and dropped it off at 7:30 in the morning for a front end alignment, activation of the Sirius radio, and the anti-freeze TSB. I was called at 2:30 by the service manager to let me know they wouldn't be able to finish that day. I asked them what work they had left and was told that they hadn't had time to start on it yet! Makes me wonder what the point of making an appointment is! A front end alignment should take an hour, 2 hours at most.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mine went in at 8:00 am on a thrusday and at about 5:30 the service manager (who by the way has been great with everything so far) calls me to tell me they need it for another day.....which was the day I was supposed to get the Magnaflows installed :evil:

I ask him what the deal was and he tells me they have to remove the engine cradle to do the alignment......and they need at least another half a day. I'll be honest, i don't know ANYTHING about what is involved with doing an alignment on this or any other car for that matter, but it kind of felt like they just didn't get around to it. Maybe I'm wrong and the car is good as new now, but I had to reschedule quite a bit of things I had planned for that Fri.
It was just a little annoying and inconvienent.......

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Remove the engine cradle to do an alignment? Anyone have any reason for this??

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CUEBALL said:
Remove the engine cradle to do an alignment? Anyone have any reason for this??
that's kind of what I was trying to figure out, but like I said I personally know NOTHING about doing alignments.....still sounds far fetched

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
AFAIK, the engine cradle is not "removed", but it is adjusted during the alignment process for the 300's. I had the infamous "pull to the right" that required 3 visits to correct, twice they adjusted the cradle as well as reset toe, the third time they rotated tires and all was well. Then Hotchkis Performance did an alignment after installing my springs & sway bars... she drives straight as an arrow now.

Still, in answer to your real question, it should take no more than part of a day, it's a scheduling/manpower issue most likely. Kinda like going to the doctor or dentist with an appointment, yet you're still kept waiting 2 hours before you're seen :eek:uch:

·
Registered
203 Posts
05"C" right pull

I had the right pull problem too. First time they added a part(tsb). Still pulled because of the Conti tires. Both times it only took an hour or so. I bought a brand new 76 Cordoba and the dealer tried 5 sets of tires before it didn't pull. Tires are usually the cause

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Still, in answer to your real question, it should take no more than part of a day, it's a scheduling/manpower issue most likely. Kinda like going to the doctor or dentist with an appointment, yet you're still kept waiting 2 hours before you're seen
Or maybe also an experience issue at the same time. Who knows? I've never heard of this complex of an alignment procedure on any normal production car I know of, I imagine it might be new or seldom seen at some dealerships.
Just talking out my butt. :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have mine aligned when I was in last week...
as the outside edges of the F1's were smoked from a bad toe-in problem...
and no run really good...
real good as a matter of fact... :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally I think they just like having the SRT8 up at the dealership :biggrin: and told me they needed it for two days just because.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Alignment basics

The process get more involved when you take into account whether they are doing a True 4 wheel alignment or just a Frt End Toe/Camber & Caster Adjustment. If it's just Front End using Thrust-Line, then you assume that the front and rear wheels track true and use a straight line created by the rear alignment heads attached the your rear wheels. If your using 4wheel alignment specs and all 4 heads attached to your wheels are dialed in and active you get actual thrust angle and live toe/camber/and caster for the front wheels, since the rear don't turn there's no caster value needed. The only reason i can believe they would need to adjust an engine craddle or K-Member Commonly Known as, is be cause during measuring the Wheel Base they found abnormally out of spec wheel bases. and the Cross measurement of chassis will reveal what needs moved or adjusted. Yet it seems to me that being our cars are assembled on and assembly line that it's impossible to build a car that much out of spec, unless something isn't tightened correctly or enough, hence K-Member movement if not tightened enough. A simple Cross Measurement of the underside of your vehicle will give you the information you need as to whether it's K-Member or Other component.

Toe in is what manufacturers usually suggest and provide decent straightline driving. Performance toe is usually Toed Out 1/16 to as much as 3/16 Out to give each front wheel equal grip in effort to turn a vehicle in a radius. Meaning Factory spec toe, on a turn say in a parking lot, when you turn to your lock, usually you notice lots of squealing, that's due to the outside wheel being overtuned in respect to the inside wheel not being turned enough. That's why a factory car will almost always Push or slide the frontend in a corner before the rear gets loose. Now with Performance Toe, the front toe is toed out usually about 1/16 or 1/8 on each front wheel and now when you make that same parking lot move, tuned to lock they may not squeal at all cause now your inside wheel has much more built in toe out keeping it turned to the inside of that turn as well as your outside wheel having less turn in, keeping it out a touch further allowing Both front wheels to have more equal turning and yet allowing a more Correct Radius for the front end, Now in a high speed event you'll notice a flatter turning vehicle due to both front wheel working to turn and not predominently the outside turning wheel, as you will also notice that the car turns much better and will probably not Push or slide the front nearly as easily, compared to factory spec Toe-In . Now Camber and Caster are more complicated and maybe for a later Post.

I sure hope this sheds some light on how Alignments affect handling.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
now I can officially say I no longer no nothing about alignments.....

thanks Sleeper............very helpful info :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sleeper300 said:
The process get more involved when you take into account ..... factory spec Toe-In . Now Camber and Caster are more complicated and maybe for a later Post.

I sure hope this sheds some light on how Alignments affect handling.
Isn't it great when experts enlighten us. Lots of light Sleeper300! Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts