Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rust on your control Arms - Please check yours.

Hello all,

I took delivery of my 300c last saturday, and while inspecting wheel clearance for the wheels I am ordering, I noticed a considerable amount of rust on the upper control arms of both sides. On the bolt and the arm itself. I will take a picture when I get a chance.

Can some of you inspect your upper A-Arms for surface rust on the arm and the bolt at the top?

This is concerning me quite a bit, and for a car with less than 100 miles, I'd say its bullshit. But first I want to make sure I am not alone before I make a stink with the dealer.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I took these photos a couple weeks ago ...
I just applied WD-40 very selectively and prayed not to see it again ....

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is precisely the exact same color and density of the rust on mine. I wonder if this is a cause for concern? Or a result of some sort of chemical treatment.

I'm going to ask the service manager about it.

Everyone else, please check yours and report back here...

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I will check and report, I do not think this is a problem but I am not paid to think I have to Know when I am flying down the turnpike at 90. Do you think the Ohio winter salt will help this rust :eek: ? Sure would have been nice if they used aluminum but then again it would be likely the weaker cast (not forged) so any casting cavity or stress cracks would go unseen. At least you can see the rust

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's there on my car.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe its nothing to worry about, but I was quite ticked off when a gearhead friend of mine spotted the rust and lovingly referred to my new car as a "Rust Bucket." I just don't expect to see rust on a new car any time soon. Especially in Sunny California.

I guess we can only hope it wont cause any issues 80k miles down the road :eek:

·
Registered
149 Posts
It should be nothing to worry about. Those parts will rust like that, and chances are even good that they were like that when you picked up your car for the first time.
I had an 02 Camaro SS that the whole rear axle was coated in that rust virtually as soon as I got it(except for the gear cover). It was nothing to worry about. Unattractive? Yes. A cause for concern? nuh-uh. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Steves300c,
You hit it right on, ... in my case the car I think was like that since it was delivered from the dealer ..... I took the pics about 3 weeks after delivery .....
I see that it is mainly on the washer-like parts, hopefully we will be able to find some SS replacements later on ....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Front end arms/ tires

Is this safe?

Obviously I’m not a mechanic. Please excuse me if I sound over cautious or automobile challenged, but as I was washing my 300C with only 1600 miles and I noticed a two metal arms 2 or 3 inches positioned over both front tires. These arms had rusted color bolts with a regular silver color nuts and washers. The metal bar was about ½ inch over the tread of the tire.

My concern is, living in Maine I travel a few back roads which are
somewhat or very bumpy. My question is, when the front tires go over a bump, will it hit these bars? Is this something I should be concerned when traveling in snow. ..and salted roads ? Should I be concern with the rust so soon?

Another issue is my 300 C was pulling to the right and the dealer made some adjustment with the aliment to correct the pulling.. The car continues to drift a little to the right. The mechanic stated the DC has an “engineer design fix” to correct this problem. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
east95 said:
Is this safe?

Obviously I’m not a mechanic. Please excuse me if I sound over cautious or automobile challenged, but as I was washing my 300C with only 1600 miles and I noticed a two metal arms 2 or 3 inches positioned over both front tires. These arms had rusted color bolts with a regular silver color nuts and washers. The metal bar was about ½ inch over the tread of the tire.

somewhat or very bumpy. My question is, when the front tires go over a bump, will it hit these bars? Is this something I should be concerned when traveling in snow. ..and salted roads ? Should I be concern with the rust so soon?

Another issue is my 300 C was pulling to the right and the dealer made some adjustment with the aliment to correct the pulling.. The car continues to drift a little to the right. The mechanic stated the DC has an “engineer design fix” to correct this problem. Has anyone heard anything about this?
I have the same rust....I am slightly worried too. Who else is rusty? Anyone?
This not the type of accessory I wanted to add to my rims....

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Rust is good here - it means the piece is made of steel or iron and not aluminum alloy. There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) issued for all 300's and Magnum cars built prior to April 25th for "Right Lead". However, my Magnum has "Right Lead" and it was built in June. In shop now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Pacifica looked the same when I got it. Not uncommon and nothing wrong with it. However, I painted all of my visible suspension system with a gloss black paint. It was easy to do and improved the lower end visibility - you know- it look alot better. It was still NEW so I just wiped them off and sprayed them. I guess I need to take some pics to show you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is this safe?

Do you know how many years it would take for those steel parts to rust enough for them to break . The fenders will have rotted out before they break . Also the tires will not hit the suspension . Enjoy the car , you have nothing to worry about

·
Registered
563 Posts
Maybe we could paint these parts black? I had mine undercoated so I gotta look and see if they coated these parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts