Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP, wondering where I should mount the 4" midrange from my 3 way Dynaudio 360 set? The 7" will be flushed into the doors with a pod of some sort, and the 4" will either fit into the factory kick panel witha small build out, or in the dash as you see with a lil more cutting.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments? I was thinking the kicks would look better, and may not even be that hard with a angle cut piece of wood raised, and bondo'd flush into the factory kick area.

The speaker is about 4.5" across all told, and 1.25" is the mount depth.

If you have any pics that would be awesome. Here is what I was thinking, this car with them facing the center of the dash?

Official Simplicity In Sound G35 Install :) - G35Driver

·
Registered
534 Posts
When did they stop using the handle for the E-brake release?. Mine is the same as my Grand Prix, push once to lock, push again to release. Hood release looks different too.

Anyway, back to the topic, I'd probably stick them in the dash, purely because I'm lazy. If you aren't then make a set of kick pods. Don't put them in the floor though. That looks super cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hemi,

Where's the tweeter going ???? If in the a-pillars I would put the mids in the dash opening. Off axis response on the Dyn's is very good so that would really bring the staging up. If you do kicks then I think the mid and tweeter need to go there together. I wouldn't do the mid in the kick and the tweeter in the dash or pillar. My humble opinion.

Shane

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shane, if the midrange goes in the kick I woiuld do the tweet next to it built out a lil (only1.5") and maybe angled to me a lil. If I stick them in the dash (easiest) then I will have that dome there, and also I would flush the tweet into the pillar...

Ugh, I am just unsure. The dash would be easiest...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
If you installed them in the dash, then I would flush the tweeters in the a-pillars on the lower part facing the windshield.
If the kicks, then place the tweet on the same plane.
We really like doing kicks here as the sound coming from the opposite kick really brings the front-stage up nicely.
Good luck...

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wes, did you see the pics above in that link?

Why do they have the tweet and the midrange facing into the center of the dash and not to the center of the car? Isnt that a bad idea?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took 3 minutes made a cardboard cut out... Hmmmm...

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I think mounting together in the kick would work well, even without
angling.

If you do use the dash, then you should put both mid and tweet up there.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wonder if I could just use a baffle that will give me the 1.5" clearence I need, and bondo them in? Or will I need to glass them?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Never used the stuff before, but you could try duraglass. Basically
it is a mixture of both a bondo and fiberglass. That will give
you the strength you need since for this application. Then you
don't have to 'glass it then use bondo.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I heard its a beotch to sand... I assme I can get it at Hoem Depot?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Called home depot and checker no one heard of duraglas!

WTF?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
try maybe autobody, auto parts, boat shops, and even walmart...... home depot may have it and not know it....it may have another name for it....

I'm thinking that some auto parts stores should have it.....

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
here's more about the product. I suspect the strength will most be in
the baffle you use and the duraglass will be used to smooth it out.
I've never used it but I've seen the results when it has been used
and it may be what you need. I left the page open for the other
products as well.

U.S. Chemical & Plastics

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
looks like there was about 3/4 inch behind the factory kick...

Here is what I came up with, please remember I have NEVER worked with a router, or glass or bondo! Not bad so far I just need to bondo it in, and then find something to cover it in? Or paint it I guess.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Great progress so far!!!!!!

yes, if you smooth it well enough with bondo you can paint it with the
texture stuff that looks like the interior panels.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the passenger side is almost done, needs a lil more smoothing to do the trick.

Next I need to do the following to get this thing playing.

1. install Pac add an amp behind the radio
2. install door speakers (Dynaudio 7")
3. FIND ROOM FOR THE CROSSOVERS THAT ARE HUGE
4. Install Zapco EQ
5. Run balanced symbilink cables
6. install amps (so far looks like Zapco 750.2 and 360.4)

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its a 3 way component set... There are 6 speakers. 4" and tweet in the kicks, and 7" midbass driver in the doors!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, the passenger side is all done now.

All told I think I have about 8 hours in the set. I wish I knew how to sand better I just dont have all the tools that woud have made it easier. Thankfully I have a Dremmel or I dont know what I would have done!

I took the 2 pieces to my local stereo shop today, they are going to wrap them for me with a matching vinyl I fouind at the fabric store (they have EVERY COLOR IMAGINABLE). They charged me $100.00 and its well worth it - I tried to wrap it and man what a pain, the curve was impossible! They are also going to smooth them out for me as well, they were just a lil rough I did the best I could without going crazy...

Anyway, I am getting closer.

Tonight I am working on mounting the face plate for my controller of my Zapco amp. Its 7.5x1.25" and I think I am going to try to shove it next to the shifter (with a lil finess). Its ony 3" deep so thats cool.

here is a link to it basically its a wired remote to control all the amps functions. Its has a DSP on the amp, and EQ and crossover.

DC Reference series>DSP6-SL &DRC-SL

1 - 20 of 36 Posts