Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay guys I could use an assist here. My 2010 300C SRT8 has developed a problem that I am not familiar. First began at interstate speed when I applied the brakes moderately and the whole car began to shake violently, along with the steering wheel, and appeared to be coming from the front end of the car. Releasing my foot off the brake did not stop the shaking until the vehicle speed is around 35 to 40 mph. The problem has become worse and no longer have to be traveling at highway speed for it to occur. Making this problem more interesting, it does not occur every time, it is random but not rare, in occurrence.
Being an IT services delivery professional, good troubleshooting practice one must ask what was the last thing that changed before the problem first occurred? I noticed uneven tire wear on the outsides of my front tires and went to have alignment done. I was told that they could not properly align all wheels as 2 control arms one front one rear rubber bushings had worn noticing that the front control arm required spring compression and dropping a significant amount of other steering and suspension components took it to a shop to have them installed. I believe this is when I encountered the first occurrence. I took to the alignment shop hoping they would see any issues with the install. Instead they told me they were able to align all four wheels and only one wheel was out of specs and that was nonadjustable camber on a rear wheel.
The brake pedal does not indicate a warp of rotor, but replaced the fronts anyway since both shops were telling me that's the problem, when I knew better. Checking similar issues on this forum, I noticed comments about problem could be with a worn steering box but when I turn the wheels left and right I notice no slop or play under power or manually when vehicle is lifted. There is no slop or play in either wheel hub indicating main wheel bearing issue. Another suggestion was a worn tie rod; which makes sense to me. However, visually inspecting the joint boots, they are intact with no cracking and no grease escaping the joints.
What in the name of Chrysler is going on with my car!? Thanks in advance for all thoughtful responses or follow-on questions...
Regards,
Don

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, bud I am experiencing the same problem. I have replaced brake pads, rotors, control arms ball joint steering rack, and outer tie rods. I am in the process of replacing front end bushing with poly bushing. I only got the tension struts down and we do the lower control next week. Anyway, I toke on the freeway after replacing tension struts bushing car has never shaken the hard a day in its life. Last thing I did notice a pull to the right when stepping on the brakes.

PLEASE HELP I AM JUST THROWING MONEY AT THIS PINT

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey, bud I am experiencing the same problem. I have replaced brake pads, rotors, control arms ball joint steering rack, and outer tie rods. I am in the process of replacing front end bushing with poly bushing. I only got the tension struts down and we do the lower control next week. Anyway, I toke on the freeway after replacing tension struts bushing car has never shaken the hard a day in its life. Last thing I did notice a pull to the right when stepping on the brakes.

PLEASE HELP I AM JUST THROWING MONEY AT THIS PINT
Inspect your tires carefully for uneven wear and in particular check for feathering.

Feathering - To check for feathering place your hand on the top of the tire and push in out across the top of the tire. Feathering is sharp edges on the side of the tread blocks. If this is present it will tend to grab your hand more going one way or the other. This is such a good and easy indicator of issues that I do it daily as a matter of habit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts