Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Fuel economy: Look, if you bought a 300C, forget about it. :P

3K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  IESRT8 
#1 · (Edited)
I keep seeing these threads about ethanol conversions, hydrogen injection, uh... those fake turbocharger thingies, fuel additives.. whatever

Look, if you bought a 300C and can't afford to put gas in it, you bought the wrong damn car. Messing with that junk is going to break something, and it's going to cost a lot more to fix it than you would've spent on gas.

Get another job, because otherwise you're (@#%ed. $4000 a year if you're averaging 15MPG for gas (and driving 12,000 miles a year). If you bought a Prius, you'd spend $1333 ($2667 less).. gee! Awesome idea! Everybody trade their 300C in, take a huge loss, and buy a Prius to save $2600 a year on gas.
:arms:

Before buying into media hype, remember you have a brain. Use it.

Also, if you dare try to hypermil your car, I'll hire a repo truck to come take your car. :p

#2 ·
I keep seeing these threads about ethanol conversions, hydrogen injection, uh... those fake turbocharger thingies, fuel additives.. whatever

Look, if you bought a 300C and can't afford to put gas in it, you bought the wrong damn car. Messing with that junk is going to break something, and it's going to cost a lot more to fix it than you would've spent on gas.

Get another job, because otherwise you're (@#%ed. $4000 a year if you're averaging 15MPG for gas (and driving 12,000 miles a year). If you bought a Prius, you'd spend $1333 ($2667 less).. gee! Awesome idea! Everybody trade their 300C in, take a huge loss, and buy a Prius to save $2600 a year on gas.
:arms:

Before buying into media hype, remember you have a brain. Use it.

Also, if you dare try to hypermil your car, I'll hire a repo truck to come take your car. :p
If the gas goes up to $5, I will be spending 7.50/day for gas. That's nothing!
I love to drive. I'd find something to cut back on if it went to $10, just so I could drive.

#3 ·
I have been reading about some awesome gas mileage people have been getting with their 300C with doubts about it. I had 6k miles since the last EVIC reset and had averaged 20.4 miles which I consider good. On a trip on the flat land yesterday (flat flat land) I reset the Evic and had it on cruise and the rascal got 30.1. I am floored with that so I no longer doubt the mileage claiming 27 on the road. When I got back into the hills my mileage dropped quickly when all 8 cylinders. Who says MDS doesn't work? This was interstate flat land and cruise and no stop and go at all. Unbelievable!

#4 ·
I have been seeing around 15 in the city and 23-25 on the highway (through the mountains). Works for me. I bought the car knowing damn well that gas was going to go through the roof and had the option of buying anything else - after feeling that HEMI, no chance.

#7 ·
Agreed.

I bought a 300c to look good, not get 30+mpg. Would that be nice? Damn straight! But driving in style's gonna ding ya one way or another... especially with 340ponies under the hood :biggrin:

At 75mph in the flat eastern part of the state I tread along at about 25mpg, give or take a couple depending on the right foot. However, once I get headed west, the passes you have to go up to get to Bozeman and later Butte bring the big car to about 17mpg. That's still good though compared to the stretch of I-90 between Coeur d'Alene and the Montana border where 12mpg is considered "taking it easy".

#9 · (Edited)
I just got a flashpaq superchip, there is a claim of 3 mpg
improvement, however I have yet to see it I do have it set to preformance 87 octain seem to run better, ,I guess its the dam 10% etho in all the gas is hurting our mpg

I can barley get 17.5 city and 24 highway so far driving light a wimp with feathering the gas

#10 ·
I couldn't believe it! My wife took the day off work yesterday to do some errands and had 12.1 litres/100/km on the read out. She also had the a/c on very low. She did say that she drove easy without gunning it though. I normally get 16litres/100 km. Keep in mind we do have traffic here but nowhere near like say, California or other huge states/cities. We have a populous of approx 1 million here.

#11 ·
We came back from Richmond Kentucky to Pittsburgh on Memorial Day weekend. I was about 6MPH over the speed limit at all times with the cruise on. That means sometimes I was going 61, sometimes 76, etc., whatever the posted speedlimit was - 6 MPH over. We averaged 28.0 MPGs on the trip. Ohio is pretty flat so that had a lot to do with it. I have seen over 24 MPG even driving through the hills of West Virginia too.

#12 ·
I bought the most expensive 300C you can buy and gas mileage was a consideration. I know its considered a gas gussler but really that's not true. I get fantastic gas mileage on regular gas. Ethanol is made from corn in the states. If we could make it from sugar like Brazil it would be a good deal for us. I'm not sure how, but they said sugar cane ethanol has a higher caloric content than corn ethanol, doesn't affect the cost of food as much and takes less energy to farm. I see E85 around here for $3.40/gal which still doesn't compare favorably with straight gasoline if you consider the decrease in gas mileage. I guess I will run this car into the ground as resale on it will be zip but so far it has been a fantastic ride!

#16 ·
I bought the most expensive 300C you can buy and gas mileage was a consideration. I know its considered a gas gussler but really that's not true. I get fantastic gas mileage on regular gas. Ethanol is made from corn in the states. If we could make it from sugar like Brazil it would be a good deal for us. I'm not sure how, but they said sugar cane ethanol has a higher caloric content than corn ethanol, doesn't affect the cost of food as much and takes less energy to farm. I see E85 around here for $3.40/gal which still doesn't compare favorably with straight gasoline if you consider the decrease in gas mileage. I guess I will run this car into the ground as resale on it will be zip but so far it has been a fantastic ride!

But with E85 you are keeping our money in America and not giving it to the people who would like to kill you and your entire family. It also creates thousands of jobs. That really is the only upside of E85.

And to the OP. Why would you create a thread to yell at peolple who dont want to spend a lot on fuel? Why would that anger you?

Anyone who buys a V8 in todays world knows what their getting into. I dont think anyone would buy a 300C tomorrow then come here and complain about gas milage. But if you bought one 2-3 years ago I can understand peolple being upset.

#13 ·
For my mix of 60% stop/go and 40% highway....

Driving it the way I want, always - 13.5
Driving it nice 1/2 the time - 15.5
Driving it nice almost all the time - 18

On highway

Driving it like I want - 21
Driving it nice, never over 5 MPH above limit - 23

I have AWD.

Cost per year to drive it like I want vs. nice all the time.... $700/year at $4 gallon.

So... I usually drive it like I want

#15 ·
If you bought a Prius, you'd spend $1333 ($2667 less).. gee! Awesome idea! Everybody trade their 300C in, take a huge loss, and buy a Prius to save $2600 a year on gas. :p

YEAH - and then you'd get F*%&$d when you had to go back to Toyota to get a new $3000 battery/ maintenance for worn parts.

Or you'd simply face stigma socially from other drivers.

My uncle I think said it best...

"If I can afford gas I'm not going to limit myself to a Prius - especially if everone else doesn't do the same. I'd be in a Prius and someone would pass me in a Shelby..."

#17 ·
Been my experience that a lot of people are on very tight budgets, and this gas hike is taking a helluva toll on that. It is infringing people lives to a degree that is forcing them to do without, sure boo hoo, but that IMHO is whats pissing a lot off and yep they are allowed to moan about it.

When I bought my car I never gave a thought to the MPG and still dont give a fig. As some othere have written within the forum its my mojo juice.

Nothing like flooring the car and blowing off some pratt with a baked bean can stuck on his exhaust revving his car at signal lights who thinks I am grandpaw cos I am over 21 and does not have the first clue what a SRT8 is.

You cant do that in a Honda 1.2 litre, but you do get 42 mpg :)

Cheers

Ritchie

#18 · (Edited)
Yep, all along the dude is taking off with his FOOOOOOOM!M!!!! and you barely need to touch 1800rpm to leave em behind.

However, them Priuses are surprisingly fast for random red light drag racing. The electric motor has a decent amount of torque, so they take off from 0 to like.. 20, fairly quickly.

After that, well, let's just say an SRT8 can finish the quarter mile in about the same amount of time as a Prius takes to hit 65mph.

#19 ·
You can drive your 300C rather thrifty if you want.

1. Make sure you using the MDS as much as you possibly can.
2. Fill up with 87 (less ethanol)
3. Keep your tires properly inflated.
4. No jackrabbit starts, and cruise to a stop.
5. Use the CC as often as possible.
6. Use A/C only when you need it (keep it off "auto").
7. Sunroof and windows closed.
8. Avoid drive-throughs.
9. Plan every outing carefully to avoid doubling back, extra stops, and unnecessary idling.
10. Make saving your gas money a sport.

I know many of you scoff at this, but it's fun to try it. You'd be surprised how little gasoline these cars really need to transport you from point ! to point B. I bet some of you can get 17-18 in the city by doing this.

Sure, many bought the car to "drive the **** out of them" and to enjoy the Hemi, but some overextended their budget a bit to be able to drive one of these beauties. This way you can save money for the fun-driving on the weekends. I mean, how many hotties do you have to impress on the way to the office? :)

#21 ·
I did not buy my 300C for the gas mileage. However, I am pleased with 20 plus mpg that I do get. And on a trip, soft pedaling I did get 27 mpg. My Harley Rd King gets 45mpg everyday,so if I need to conserve mileage I can ride it/My 300 c was for the appearance,comfort and performance/

#22 ·
Around my town I've seen that the Vespa/Honda moped scooter things have really gotten popular. Seeing one of those a couple of years ago was like seeing a unicorn, but now they're everywhere! And at 90+mpg it's understandable.

#23 ·
On the highway, if you keep it to 55 (painful) and have proper tire inflation, you can get better than 30mpg. My trip record thus far is a calculated 33mpg, which is damn good for any car. Now once you get off the highway, you're proper f**ked. Over the course of a week, I'm lucky if I can pull out 23 mpg combined. That's why the 300C is going to be my fun car, and I'm getting a scooter for daily use.

#29 ·
I just can't believe that I get 1 MPG better with the Diablo tune... I have been getting about 17 in the SRT and I went to the dealer and put the stock tune back in and now I am down to 15.8-16. I gotta put that tune back on!!!

They should come stock with the Diablo base tune.:biggrin:

But anyway I think 15-16 is good for a 6.1 Hemi!:arms:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.