Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone...

I think by now everyone is aware of the fuel leaks that come from either the pump gasket or pump mount itself. The result is fuel lays up on top of the fuel tank.

The other day, my son pumped the gas and filled the tank. For the next 1/8th of a tank, the car was filled with fuel vapor. We were driving with the windows open.

Ok - filling the tank up too far... well, yes and no. Yeah, it's not a good idea to top off the tank. On the 1st gen, it would go into the purge vent pipe, saturate the canister and cause stalling.

BUT... there is no reason that fuel should EVER come out of the top of the tank where there is a pump/sender.

So, I confirmed what we probably had by looking on the forums. I saw the post that talked about removing the rear seat and seeing a puddle of fuel on top of the starboard pump. So, not having the time to do it myself and my wife needing the car, she took it to a mechanic we know and trust.

He pulled the seat and found fuel. He looked and said that the pump mount had hairline cracks in it.

He called a dealer for the part and was told that they were on backorder. He had ordered 500 and he was waiting for them to come in. Luckily, the mechanic did locate one on the west coast (we're in NY!).

So, whether or not this is a revised OEM or not, it is getting replaced. It took 6 years to fail in my 11 and I'm sure that I won't be keeping it 6 more years, so I guess I'm safe.

The reason I'm posting is that I went to the NHTSA website. There is ONLY 1 OTHER OWNER who filed a complaint about this identical thing. ONE???

Folks, this is a pretty serious flaw. I strongly recommend that everyone who has this issue go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint, otherwise this will never be recognized. I know in ours, vapor was coming out of the AC vents after the car sat for awhile. That was surely vapor drawn from the floor (fuel vapor is heavy) that got in from under the back seat. A smoker could easily have an explosion.

Please, if you have this issue - file the complaint. It takes 5 mins. Here is the linK:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I just encountered the same issue - 05 300C - 250,000 kms.
This car did sit for a few years. It was selected to be my winter beater again this year.

A faint fuel smell around the outside of the car at times and again inside the cabin, but neither consistent.
Today nothing outside the car but a strong fuel whiff inside.
So I bring the car into the garage, close the door and light a smoke to ponder my next move. Just kidding.

So, I'm off to explore this failure. I have a complete set of OEM manuals.

Will take pictures as I go. Stand by, over.

Bruce

Attachments

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Procedure .....

Tools:
Wear poly gloves and respirator if you are challenged by fuel vapours.
Mallet and wide tipped flat tipped screw driver.
Vacuum, absorbent towelettes or tissue, small wire brush.

1. Remove rear seat bottom cushion - pull straight up on each front corner (X2 friction clips). The seat will come away. No money, french fries or condoms under mine.
2. Lift foam cut out to expose assembly cover. I tucked the cut out under the carpet edge to keep it out of the way.
3. Lift assembly plastic cover from any edge - it will pop right out to expose electrical connector.
4. Very strong raw fuel vapours here on in. Mask up if you need to ... or stop breathing. Your call.
5. Raw fuel could be seen on white plastic mount. It had also collected in the plastic "surround" under the entire assembly - it is fuel resistant.
6. BEFORE pulling assembly out, soak up raw fuel with tissues and then vacuum any residue - the metal ring is starting to rust so crap particles did collect on the surround.
7. Press tab and disconnect electrical. I wedged to cover up under the seat back to keep it out of the way.
8. Use screwdriver and mallet to tap the big metal circular 7 tab hold down ring. This took a a few good blows to loosen, I used different edges several times to avoid damage.
9. Lift out metal ring. Vacuum debris again. I cleaned the metal ring with wire brush and towelette. Set aside.
10. Pull gently on the white plastic mount - it will come out very easily - to expose the green rubber gasket - THE CULPRIT!!
11. DO NOT pull the assembly our very far. My tank was gauged at 1/4 and the raw fuel was still very close to the top. Easy to understand why sloshing fuel will breach a poorly sealing gasket.
12. As this was an exploratory mission, I do not have a replacement gasket in hand so I turned the gasket about 15 degrees to provide "alternate" sealing surfaces.
14. Reassembled in reverse order. Again, a few good blows are required to re-seat the metal ring. You can see the elevated tabs in position when it is fully seated.
15. And since you have the vacuum nearby, go over the entire interior you filthy pig.

I'll leave the back seat out for a few trips so I can visually monitor results.
If fuel continues to breach, I will get a part from the stealership .... not a chance. I will go to my parts supplier.
Standby for results.

Bruce

Attachments

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Fail.

Fuel continues to accumulate on top of the tank at the sender portal.
Will stop by the stealership this afternoon and get a new gasket (green in the pictures).

Kept tank at below half during this testing period.
As soon as I went to 3/4 full, the issue returned.

Standby for results.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
New part.
Old part.
Part number for your reference.
Stab me in the ass part - invoice.

Service Manager said new part is original as told by the AA designation at the end of the part number.
I suggest otherwise.
Old part is contoured.
New part is a tube style gasket that compresses.

Took 10 minutes to install.

Standby .... off to fill the tank.

Bruce

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2011, Chrysler 300C
144 Posts
This is interesting reading, think I need to check into it myself. I drive a lot for work so always fill the tank each time I fuel up. I have noticed a fuel smell inside and near the fill door after fill up. I've thought that it may be from being around the pumps but have smelled it also when I drive straight to the house after a fill up. Also I never top off the tank, learned that lesson on my previous 300.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m getting a gas smell after fill up for about a week afterward. It isn’t bad in the interior, but the garage smells bad. Same issue or could this be my fill tube?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Most of the time this is solved by filling up at the “slow” speed on the fuel pump handle. Then when clicks off, do not top off. This has solved fuel smell issues for me on my ‘13 and my ‘17.

Hosehead, did your new gasket from the dealership fix the leak?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m getting a gas smell after fill up for about a week afterward. It isn’t bad in the interior, but the garage smells bad. Same issue or could this be my fill tube?
Turns out this isn’t the problem for me. I looked under the seat and no leak there. I do see what appears to be “run-off” coming down the fill tube. Must be some sort of leak up around the top of the fill tube.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Everyone...

I think by now everyone is aware of the fuel leaks that come from either the pump gasket or pump mount itself. The result is fuel lays up on top of the fuel tank.

The other day, my son pumped the gas and filled the tank. For the next 1/8th of a tank, the car was filled with fuel vapor. We were driving with the windows open.

Ok - filling the tank up too far... well, yes and no. Yeah, it's not a good idea to top off the tank. On the 1st gen, it would go into the purge vent pipe, saturate the canister and cause stalling.

BUT... there is no reason that fuel should EVER come out of the top of the tank where there is a pump/sender.

So, I confirmed what we probably had by looking on the forums. I saw the post that talked about removing the rear seat and seeing a puddle of fuel on top of the starboard pump. So, not having the time to do it myself and my wife needing the car, she took it to a mechanic we know and trust.

He pulled the seat and found fuel. He looked and said that the pump mount had hairline cracks in it.

He called a dealer for the part and was told that they were on backorder. He had ordered 500 and he was waiting for them to come in. Luckily, the mechanic did locate one on the west coast (we're in NY!).

So, whether or not this is a revised OEM or not, it is getting replaced. It took 6 years to fail in my 11 and I'm sure that I won't be keeping it 6 more years, so I guess I'm safe.

The reason I'm posting is that I went to the NHTSA website. There is ONLY 1 OTHER OWNER who filed a complaint about this identical thing. ONE???

Folks, this is a pretty serious flaw. I strongly recommend that everyone who has this issue go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint, otherwise this will never be recognized. I know in ours, vapor was coming out of the AC vents after the car sat for awhile. That was surely vapor drawn from the floor (fuel vapor is heavy) that got in from under the back seat. A smoker could easily have an explosion.

Please, if you have this issue - file the complaint. It takes 5 mins. Here is the linK:
Thanks.
When you say pump mount what exactly are you speaking of? I am having a similar problem with my 300 and it is at the dealer now. They are telling me my fule pump is leaking Fter they did the fuel tank replacement under warranty. They say the fuel pump leak is not covered but I had no leak before the fuel tank replacement. They are trying to tell me the fuel pump housing is leaking. So what is the difference from the mount and the housing?

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive had the same problem with my '05 300c. Pulling the seat back and exposing the top of fuel pump revealed pooled fuel, badly. Usually have just rode around with less then 3/4 tank to avoid brain numbing fumes in the cab, but after reading this forum and having a good laugh at "hosehead"s journey on the issue, I decided to take a go at fixing it. (Update pending)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m having the same issue with my 05. Saw a leak from under the drivers side rear door so after reading all of the previous posts it’s sounding like I’m having the same issue. I’m going to buy the part and attempt a fix. Hopefully it’s just that and not fuel lines that need replacing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I appreciate the reply. I viewed the link and I will be purchasing one for sure. What that site describes is exactly what I’m experiencing. Again hopefully it’s not a fuel line leak.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update: I took out my back seat today and exposed the fuel pump. Everything looks better than I expected. I didn’t find a pool of fuel. The lock ring was a bit rusty but it is an 05 ... not much worse than what I’ve seen here lol also my connections look good. No burn marks or rust. Rubber seal looks really good... not brittle or discoloured. The plastic cover is not cracked either ( but I still may invest in that aluminum one). Not sure where to look next? Suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
UPDATE
I replaced my fuel gasket. I thought all was well and then I began to smell fuel again l. Lifted the back seat and sure enough a pool of fuel right above the fuel pump!!! Not happy!!!
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
UPDATE
I replaced my fuel gasket. I thought all was well and then I began to smell fuel again l. Lifted the back seat and sure enough a pool of fuel right above the fuel pump!!! Not happy!!!
UPDATE
I am having the same problem with my 2010 300 leaking right behind the driver side rear door. Did you ever come across a fix for this? Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts