Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
funny noise when starting

have a 05 300c hemi. first off im not mechanically inclined lol.. so this may be just something simple. but when i start up the car sometimes i hear the normal start up but right after i hear this grinding noise.. dosnt sound like its comming form the engine.. more underneath the car.. dosnt happen all the time just sometimes.. maybe a leak in the head or something?? have no idea what im talking about but any pointers or suggestions would be awesome!!!

also when first start it up after a while..and start to drive i hear a whining noise from the engine.. no its not a secret supercharger lol .. have no idea if these are normal noises.. since i have never owned a 300 before..no one i know has one.. and just had this one for a week or so.. please any general info would be great.. dont want to go to a dealer or something if its just something normal or no big deal.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Do you get that grinding noise only when you start it or does it happen sometimes when you're driving or taking off from a stop?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only at start and only sometimes.. not often.. never anyother time..and no loss in power or anything no other probs i noticed..other than the last guy must of put in cheap pads because the breaks be squeelin lol also when i take off no grinding.. just the constant whine.. nothing loud .. just noticable with no music and driving very slow.. quite area

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds so odd..for sure.. no accidents or anything on the car..and old guy owned it so im sure he wasnt beating it.. also she runs perfect thats the most odd part of it all.. nothing worng at all :| just weird noise .. im thinking i need to throw on a exhaust to cover the noise and be good to go ahha jk

·
Registered
276 Posts
Checked the power steering fluid reservoir recently? Any resistance in the steering or a more obvious whining noise when turning the wheels lock to lock at idle? This may indicate power steering pump on its way out or low fluid level in reservoir. Grinding noise might be an indicator the starter motor is on it's way out (bearings) if it only happens when you're engaging the starter motor (not when engine is running) but can't be sure unless it's removed and inspected. Sorry, but that's all I can guess from your description.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I've had a nasty sound at start up on occasion sometimes as well like you're experiencing. The colder the temperature, the more likely it is to happen. I first noticed it the first winter I had the car when the temps dipped down to -35*F, and I park my car in the garage.
I believe it's the power steering pump, at least that's what I was told when I brought it up.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Only thing I can think of is maybe one or both of your cats are bad? Though if that was the case you'de hear more of a rattling noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
funny noise when starting

have a 05 300c hemi. first off im not mechanically inclined lol.. so this may be just something simple. but when i start up the car sometimes i hear the normal start up but right after i hear this grinding noise.. dosnt sound like its comming form the engine.. more underneath the car.. dosnt happen all the time just sometimes.. maybe a leak in the head or something?? have no idea what im talking about but any pointers or suggestions would be awesome!!!

also when first start it up after a while..and start to drive i hear a whining noise from the engine.. no its not a secret supercharger lol .. have no idea if these are normal noises.. since i have never owned a 300 before..no one i know has one.. and just had this one for a week or so.. please any general info would be great.. dont want to go to a dealer or something if its just something normal or no big deal.. :biggrin:
Check the Flywheel!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts