Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Thanks for the analysis NR... never one to dissapoint!
Think I'll take your "don't try this at home" advice... I'm a better spectator than racer :wink1: but I am a fun co-pilot if you're lookin' fer one!

·
Registered
375 Posts
NR, I'm interested to know if the trans still shifted itself when left in 1 at redline? Or does the trans act like an actual auto stick with the fuse pulled?

·
Registered
120 Posts
NR thanks for the writeup! You and Hemeee make this place rock! :You_Rock_

One of these months, when life quits throwing obstacles in my path, I'll get to the track and may try this on the last couple runs. I Wouldn't think of it on the street. Your 'collision avoidance degraded' comment is key. If someone running in this fashion was involved in a major accidient and it was discovered the fuse was out, their liabilty exposure would be increased exponentially!

Keep us updated! :)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
300CGuy said:
Nice write up NR!
Meister - yes sir, I have stock contis with 8,500 on them. They spun like crazy all the way to third...but with a nice set of tires that could be eliminated.
Concur. Excellent write-up, NR.

300CGuy - One of the SRT8 pilots found 22 psi to be his "sweet spot" rear tire pressure wise when running the traps. With less torque from our 5.7L mills I'm guessing 24 psi for a starting place.

Had you left your rear tires at street pressures for your run or runs?

I'll be testing various pressures to find my best launch settings & will report back. If you have opportunity to do the same it would be of interest here.

Note: My ContiSeals have 16,000 miles on them and are at 5/32", just about optimum. 'Should be a decent test.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
5point7 said:
NR, I'm interested to know if the trans still shifted itself when left in 1 at redline? Or does the trans act like an actual auto stick with the fuse pulled?
On my car with all the granny stuff turned off the tranny still auto-shifts, but at or near redline vice the 4 to 5 hundred rpm prior that I see with a bone-stock C. And it does act more like a true auto stick, but shifts as necessary to avoid exceeding redline.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
HEMEEE said:
Thanks for the analysis NR... never one to dissapoint!
Think I'll take your "don't try this at home" advice... I'm a better spectator than racer :wink1: but I am a fun co-pilot if you're lookin' fer one!
It would be my pleasure, nurse....

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Omg

Okay, hubbeee wants to know how a person can possibly laugh out loud at a computer...
I have some 'splaining to do! :silly:

·
Registered
54 Posts
How is pulling that fuse a safety issue? What about all the Mustangs and Camaros running around with no stability or traction control? What about muscle cars with manual drum brakes? ESP is hardly necessary...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Dutch said:
How is pulling that fuse a safety issue? What about all the Mustangs and Camaros running around with no stability or traction control? What about muscle cars with manual drum brakes? ESP is hardly necessary...
bypassing any of the safety features on a vehicle could be a liability if you were ever in an accident. Although it is not neccessary, it is part of the program designed by DCX and if you were to have an accident and they could prove it was due to you pulling the fuse, they could deny your claim. for that matter ANY thing you do to modify the engine or suspension that is not an OEM part could also be grounds for your insurance company denying a claim. The ESP function on the 300 is to help drivers keep their cars on the road if they get out of wack.....either due to road conditions or simple lack of driving ability. Most of us know better, but let's say I were to pull the fuse in my SRT8 and my mother were to drive the car at night in the rain (which by the way i would NEVER let happen) she would be on her own with a 425hp machine with all safety features----including ABS----- turned off. just something to think about

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
jconnolly1119 said:
...let's say I were to pull the fuse in my SRT8 and my mother were to drive the car at night in the rain (which by the way i would NEVER let happen)...
Hmmmm. You didn't say what you'd do if it were your mother *in-law* driving jc... :)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Dutch said:
I think no ABS is the bigger part of the problem with pulling the fuse. It's one thing not to have ABS on a car that wasn't designed to have it, but cars that are designed to have it will typically lock easier if it's disabled.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Dutch said:
It becomes a huge issue if the road surface is loose or slippery or if you have to make a sudden steering avoidance move such as moving into a median.

People drive these cars hard and fast. How often have you seen a 300C that has rolled over?

It is a major safety issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oldjoat

I am new to this forum and I don't have my 300c yet maybe thursday. It would be nice to know what you find in your tests. I am not sure what I can and what I want to do to it. I am learning a lot but untill I get my 300c I don't know what I want to do.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Meister said:
Hmmmm. You didn't say what you'd do if it were your mother *in-law* driving jc... :)
.......sh'e the SLOWEST driver on earth....plus she's terrified of my car so I think we're all good :silly:

But as NR pointed out.....slippery surfaces, gobs of HP and no ABS can make for some very unpredictable scenarios. Be careful out there if you do this......I know alot of people who might forget to put the fuse back in

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
jconnolly1119...Be careful out there if you do this......I know alot of people who might forget to put the fuse back in[/QUOTE said:
We're covered, John, thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Dutch said:
Don't just pull the fuse, replace it with a burnt out fuse. Same effect - lowered liability.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Nr

thanks for sharing this info with us.
Good stuff as always.
Let us know how the test comes out at the track...
very interested in that...
as I think this car will be very quick through the traps without the esp working in the hands of a competent driver such as yourself...
anyone remember the boys in their 6th place overall car in Lap America?
bet they didn't have ESP working against them...

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
cbutler32 said:
thanks for sharing this info with us.
Good stuff as always.
Let us know how the test comes out at the track...
very interested in that...
as I think this car will be very quick through the traps without the esp working in the hands of a competent driver such as yourself...
anyone remember the boys in their 6th place overall car in Lap America?
bet they didn't have ESP working against them...
No, they definitely did not have the system on. No one likes to race with anti- lock brakes.

I expect higher lap times without the ESP. At the same time, the "worry" factor goes up. If I lose it in a corner . . . there goes my daily driver.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Northern Rider said:
No, they definitely did not have the system on. No one likes to race with anti- lock brakes.

I expect higher lap times without the ESP. At the same time, the "worry" factor goes up. If I lose it in a corner . . . there goes my daily driver.
......am I to assume that the GSM mod only affects the torque control and leaves the ABS as is?? If so it would certainly be worth the 200 bucks.

here's another one for NR.......you said mild wheelspin with the fuse out, but what I'm wondering is how you think it might affect the launch. I know in my 6.1 the rears break loose even with the ESP on. Turn it off and I can sit and spin for a little longer......long enough where it would negatively affect 1/4 mile times. Getting the rears to hook up properly takes some practice even with the ESP on. I guess I'll try pulling #17 to see what I get.....and then it's just practice,practice,practice

21 - 40 of 119 Posts