Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys and gals...
I was just reading over on another website a very good point to make to new SRT owners... (and maybe some who don't know this and are curent owners - :wink1: )
when you go from "D" to autostick mode and you would like to go back to "D" - drive...
you DO NOT need to shift back into neutral to do it...
hold the shifter over to the right wbhile you are in auto-stick and it will upshift after 1-2 seconds to "D"...

So let's all just say each and everyone of us did this up front...
as most of us got in our wonderful car and hit the road before reading the WHOLE manual...
I know I did coming back from Michigan...
as it was really tough reading and driving at the same time - :biggrin:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I noticed that feature the other day when I was driving a charger. I was getting sick of having to put in N to go back to drive. So I held it there and it switched over.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Driving it home from the dealership I did that, but after you read the owners manual from cover to cover you learn alot.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
wow...... I guess I missed something but it never occured to me to shift to neutral to get back to drive. Both my 300C and my Dad's SRT8 just go back in to full auto mode just by moving the shifter to the right one more time. Only difference is my "C" doesn't have the ability to hold 5th gear like the SRT8 does. It's just 1,2,3,4, and "D". I'm im in 4th in my "C", one more click to the right puts me back in drive. Same thing from 5th in the SRT8.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thankyou, thats been bothering me. I have been meaning to read the manual just have'nt yet. I still don't know how to setup the seat memory and I'm sure a few other things but I usually just keep an eye on this fourm it has helped a lot. I have got the phone Uconnect option and I had the phone salesmen hook it up to the bluetooth phone I believe the name of the phone is razor, made by motorolla I think?? Does everything except wipping up after you go but I have not read that manual either so who knows, any ways I figured for that much money for a phone and service he could hook it up for us, took him all of about 5 minutes to do, I think I'm finally turning into a typical male you know the push it until it works or breaks type of guy. I will admit though this car is pretty user friendly well except for the cruise control stick, its like an unwanted appendage stuck to the side of the steering column that does not seem to work the way I think it should and always seems to get in the way of the turn single; maybe I should read the manual hmmmmm.

amant

amant

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have to say this is one of the reasons BILL PEMBERTON at Woodhouse Dodge cannot be beat!!! Even in our abbreviated delivery of the MSRT8 he covered all the driving knowledge, including this bit-o-info, and other important items. It is in the manual, but I didn't get to that until about 2 weeks after getting the MSRT8....I wouldn't get out of the car:D :D :D

Todd

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't see the point?

I don't want to imagine this car without it.

I've driven quit a few cars with various kinds of autostick control, and they've ranged from ok to just plain awful.

I think the SRT guys did a pretty good job with this transmission. Short of a seperate gate with a push/pull type arrangment, this one works darn good.

I do wish the gear indicator display was bigger though.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[QUOTE='05srt-8]I don't see a point in driving using autostick.[/QUOTE]

WOW!!!

I guess all the roads up there in Canada are straight... :wink1:

Honestly though...
you should really try downshifting while entering a turn and upshifting out of it sometime...
you'll really like the experience...
and being able to downshift and "grabbing" the gear to go around someone instead of waiting for the computer to sense your foot stomping on the floor...
is soooo much more fun as well...

Everyone else - you are welcome for this little tidbit of info on the "D", autostick issue...
Happy Motoring!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am with cbutler32, having the autostick is the next best thing to having the 5 or 6 speed stick. Being able to down shift when needed for both slowing and passing is excellent and at least lets you have greater control for both.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
I totally see the point of the 'autostick', not so much for passing 'cuz the "foot stomp" seems to work just fine :) but more for the engine braking into a curve, or to hold in a lower gear on a curvy mountain road.

But I am still totally bewildered about the original post :confused: if you are in drive (fully automatic mode) and want to go into autostick, you move the shifter to the left. Either bump it one gear at a time, or hold it to the left and it will continue downshifting. So to go back to "D" (fully automatic mode) you move the shifter to the right until the display says "D", correct? How else would you do it?

Again my 'regular' C and Dad's SRT8 both work exactly the same in this respect; the difference being that mine shows 1,2,3,4, and "D" -- in other words there's no way to "hold" 5th gear in a regular C while there is that ability in the SRT.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kevinj...

some of us...
who did NOT read the manual prior to driving the vehicle...
shifted from "D" into auto-stick...
then what would happen is that to get back into "D" you would shift into "N" and then it would get you into "D" again...
or so we thought - :wink1:
not knowing that holding the autostick to the right would get you there as well... :biggrin:
that is the problem alot of people have had in the past when they first got the vehicle (or as you can see) or are having now...
It's just an FYI...

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
you didn't read your manual cover to cover before operating your vehicle? Shame on you, that's 2 de-merits. :banana:

I will admit that the first time I drove Dad's SRT8, when I went thru the gears manually (not looking at the display) after upshifting from 4th I thought I was back in "D" (because I would have been in my 300c) and I was wondering why the damn thing wouldn't downshift when I stepped on it...then I saw the display said "5"....one more click to the right and I was in "D" and fully automatic. While it's the same transmission, the software for the SRT allows you to manually select "5th" and the regular C does not.

I have been told that in the 300C, if you put it in neutral while driving, it will not allow you to go back into gear at all until you slow down almost to a complete stop - - apparently this does not apply to the SRT8 either.

Oh well..... FINALLY 6" of snow on the ground! so mine and Dad's toys are both parked safely out of the way of all the SoCal transplants up here that don't know how to drive in the snow and ice.....let 'em crash into my '90 Accord instead!~

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kevinj,
I picked my car up in Michigan and hit the road solo and brought it back here in 3 days...
so yeah, no time to read the manual...
especially while driving... :biggrin:
heck didn't get the nav working until 1 hour in...
that was a fun manual to read while driving...
loved you last paragraph by the way!

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
cbutler32 said:
loved you last paragraph by the way!

:) Well it's true; but I am allowed to bash on SoCal transplants because I am one too - - born at Sharp Hospital in San Diego and grew up in Escondido.
I've lived in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho since 1993 and it seems that almost everyone I meet is either from San Diego or Orange County. A buddy of mine (one of the few native Idahoan's I know) is planning to print some T-shirts that say "Welcome to Coeur d' Alene, CALIFORNIA" since it really does seem as if this is the Northern annex of Southern California sometimes. :wave:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
KevinJ - I am going to thread drift here a little since it is my thread... :biggrin:
I was born at Sharp as well - back in the late 60's and my mom ran the ER there for 5 years around the same time...
Escondido huh? let's see...
Cougar, Orange Glen or San P. ?
Funny stuff on the Idaho thing - really...
smiling about it again as I read it...
take care and enjoy the accord! :wink1:

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
cbutler32 said:
KevinJ - I am going to thread drift here a little since it is my thread... :biggrin:
I was born at Sharp as well - back in the late 60's and my mom ran the ER there for 5 years around the same time...
Escondido huh? let's see...
Cougar, Orange Glen or San P. ?
Funny stuff on the Idaho thing - really...
smiling about it again as I read it...
take care and enjoy the accord! :wink1:

I was born in '63 - brother in '66 and sister in '68, all at Sharp. We lived on Del Cerro Blvd, accross the freeway from SDSU - - moved to Escondido in '73. Looks like you know Escondido a bit too....I graduated from Orange Glen in '81. Damn I'm old! :biggrin:

But yeah ..... there's been a HUGE influx of SoCal people to North Idaho. This ain't Potato country, this is God's country. Mountains, Pine trees, and beautiful lakes everywhere....

As for the Accord..... well I'm gonna "mod" it instead of my 300C; gonna start by clamping a Folger's can to the tailpipe and then I'm gonna build a wing out of 2x 4's - - then all I will need is a 12" diameter tach...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I wonder if the delay in upshifting with autostick is because the computer is waiting (tick...tick..tick..) to determine if the driver wants to upshift or return to D mode?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts