Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have issues with their Homelink garage door opener?

I find it very weak in strength (distance from doors) and often have to put my C directly in front of the doors before they open. After I back out, while still facing the doors, I sometimes have to press the button several times to get the door to come down. As a result, I have resorted to using my old remote clicker which works so much better than the Homelink.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can get this system to work more efficiently?

bruno
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,621 Posts
I had the same problem. Check the antenna on your door opener. My antenna was only about 15inches long and was nailed to the roof of my garage. I soldered a 12 inch extension to the antenna and let the extension hang from ceiling. This gave better reception and fixed my problem.
Also try reprogramming/resetting the Homelink. That also helped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Bruno,

I kinda feel the same way about Homelink versus the clicker that came with the openers.

While I don't have to be directly in front of the door for Homelink to work, I have noticed that the "operating range" is quite shorter than the one I get with the original opener.

I've also noticed that the physical switch on the two units operate slightly different as well. With Homelink, I have to HOLD down the button for around a second to get the doors to activate. With the original clicker, just a quick TAP of the button is sufficient to open the door. This is MUCH nicer.:)

Personally, I prefer the longer range and the quicker tap my original opener provides as well. BUT it is butt-ugly...so I keep it in the glovebox as a backup and use the Homelink buttons...althought their "responsiveness" leaves a lot of room for improvement.

*sigh*

JFF:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
For me I have found the opposite to be true; With my original transmitter, & new batteries, my range was about 30 ft. With the Homelink, I can be 100 ft or more away. JFF is right, I have to push & hold the Homelink longer than with the original transmitter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I have actually found that it really works great, but, you have to hold the button down for a couple of seconds. On the old clicker I could tap the button. I don't mind holding the button down to get the clicker off of my visor.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting how all of us have different responses with use of this system. I think my antenna is long enough but I will also try re-setting the system. Holding the link button longer than 2 seconds doesn't always work; plus, it's quite a stretch to reach it for me unless I move the seat much closer to the steering wheel. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

bruno
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
well thats just wonderful guys! my friggin homelink dosent even work with my garage door opener! i read the detailed (re)programming instructions (boy is it a pain in the ass holding those 2 buttons down together at the same time) and still didnt work. i have a similar 'homelink' system on my saab 9.3 and it will not work with that either.
the garage was built about 10 or so years ago, so i cant imagine the door opener is that dated.
tried everything i could, but still cant seem to get it to work. it might just annoy me so much one day that ill get a new opener because the homelink system sure does seem handy.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,580 Posts
lennoxavesosa said:
well thats just wonderful guys! my friggin homelink dosent even work with my garage door opener! i read the detailed (re)programming instructions (boy is it a pain in the ass holding those 2 buttons down together at the same time) and still didnt work. i have a similar 'homelink' system on my saab 9.3 and it will not work with that either.
the garage was built about 10 or so years ago, so i cant imagine the door opener is that dated.
tried everything i could, but still cant seem to get it to work. it might just annoy me so much one day that ill get a new opener because the homelink system sure does seem handy.
Did you try programming it as per the Canadian instructions? That's the only way I could program mine. If your manual doesn't mention it, let me know & I'll post it here.

Rambit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
yes please do rambit......i dont know how much the canadian instructions differ from the ones issued in US spec manuals, but if i recall, the process had something to do with highlighting something in the EVIC, then holding the homelink button and a steering wheel button simutaniously for a while. like i said, i think it has something to do with my garage door opener unit itself, as they mentioned something about pressing a button, or flicking a switch on your unit, but mine has neither.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,580 Posts
lennoxavesosa said:
yes please do rambit......i dont know how much the canadian instructions differ from the ones issued in US spec manuals, but if i recall, the process had something to do with highlighting something in the EVIC, then holding the homelink button and a steering wheel button simutaniously for a while. like i said, i think it has something to do with my garage door opener unit itself, as they mentioned something about pressing a button, or flicking a switch on your unit, but mine has neither.
OK here it is word for word:

Canadian Programming/Gate Programming
Canadian radio-frequency laws require transmitter signals to "time-out" (or quit) after several seconds of transmission which may not be long enough for HomeLink to pick up the signal during programming. Similar to this Canadian law, some U.S. gate operators are designed to "time-out" in the same manner.

If you live in Canada or you are having difficulties programming a gate operator by using the "Programming" procedures (regardless of where you live), replace "Programming HomeLink" step 3 with the following:

NOTE: If programming a garage door opener or gate operator, it is advised to unplug the device during the "cycling" process to prevent possible overheating.
3. Continue to press and hold the HomeLink button while you press and release every two seconds ("cycle") your hand-held transmitter until the frequency signal has successfully been accepted by HomeLink. The EVIC display will show "Channel X Trained" (where X is Channel 1, 2, or 3). Proceed with "Programming" step four to complete.

Perhaps you live in an area of the US that this applies too. Good luck.

Rambit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
bruno said:
Does anyone else have issues with their Homelink garage door opener?

I find it very weak in strength (distance from doors) and often have to put my C directly in front of the doors before they open. After I back out, while still facing the doors, I sometimes have to press the button several times to get the door to come down. As a result, I have resorted to using my old remote clicker which works so much better than the Homelink.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can get this system to work more efficiently?

bruno

I find that the homelink can transmit much further than the remote clicker. The only catch with the homelink is that I have to hold it down for about 2-4 seconds. It will not work just pressing it, I have to hold it down. Programming it, well that was a different story it took me about a month. I find that whenever Chrysler says to hold things down 1-2 seconds, its more like 5-10 seconds, IMO!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
We had a 'secure link' chamberlain door opener that never worked well with homelink. We found that it depended on what level the clicker was at. (in our Navigator the homelink was on the sun visor) so we would be moving the visor up and down to get the door to open and shut.
We had an extra GDO (a Genie) so one weekend I put that up. It works with the homelink like a charm.

Moral of the story: I think some of the older GDO's aren't as homelink friendly as others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
My Homelink button works a lot farther than my clicker remote.

For those experiencing trouble programming the Homelink, there are a couple of extra steps to take if you have one of the rolling code openers. You have to press a reset/program button on the opener itself to reset the rolling codes, then program the Homelink. I believe it refers to that in the owners manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
bruno said:
Does anyone else have issues with their Homelink garage door opener?

I find it very weak in strength (distance from doors) and often have to put my C directly in front of the doors before they open. After I back out, while still facing the doors, I sometimes have to press the button several times to get the door to come down. As a result, I have resorted to using my old remote clicker which works so much better than the Homelink.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can get this system to work more efficiently?

bruno
yep....i have the same exact problem...any suggestions, you'd think that the new homelink opener would have a far bettter range and efficiency.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I don't have the rolling code garage door opener and I just finished resetting the unit to no avail. In my case, HomeLink should be renamed the Weakest Link!

bruno
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,621 Posts
bruno said:

I don't have the rolling code garage door opener and I just finished resetting the unit to no avail. In my case, HomeLink should be renamed the Weakest Link!

bruno
Not sure if you tried the antenna thingy I suggested in my previous post, but one way to test if your antenna/reception is the problem is try opening/closing the door while the car is in the garage. If the door opens/closes OK when you are close to the antenna, then try lengthening and/or changing the position of the antenna. It defiantly fixed the problem, in my case.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top