Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I didn't see it anywhere else. Has anyone figured out how to upload personal POIs and routes into the 2012 Garmin GPS in the 300C's? I have been a Garmin user for 10 years so I have tons on my mobile unit I want to upload!!!

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Ok, I didn't see it anywhere else. Has anyone figured out how to upload personal POIs and routes into the 2012 Garmin GPS in the 300C's? I have been a Garmin user for 10 years so I have tons on my mobile unit I want to upload!!!
I've thought about trying this myself. I've never been a Garmin user before and didn't have any custom POI's to try yet. If you have files for them already, I would try putting them on a thumb drive and putting it in the USB port. Alternatively, you could burn them to a CD and try loading it through the CD/DVD drive. Possible one or the other of those locations would recognize the file format and upload it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to load some POIs and Routes from Mapquest to my SD card, and put the SD card in the 300, but unfortunatly the Cars Garmin Software Tools doesn't include the Import POI feature that my mobile 765T unit does. So far, I haven't found a menu in the cars version that has import anywhere..... Going to try some support search on internet.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
From page 77-78 of the UConnect manual:

Custom POIs (Points of Interest)
You can manually load custom points of interest (POI)
databases, available from various companies on the Internet.
Some custom POI databases contain alert information
for points such as safety cameras and school
zones. The navigation system can notify you when you
approach one of these points.
CAUTION!
Garmin and Chrysler LLC are not responsible for the
consequences of using a custom POI database, or for
the accuracy of the safety camera or other custom POI
database.
After downloading your POI database, use the Garmin
POI Loader to install the POIs onto a DVD. Use the DVD
to load the POIs. The POI Loader is available at
Garmin: POI Loader. Refer to the POI
Loader Help file for more information; click Help to open
the Help file.

NOTE:
Each time you load custom POIs to the navigation
system, any other custom POIs already saved in the
system will be overwritten.
Finding Custom POIs
To view a list of the custom POIs loaded in your
navigation system:
1. Touch

Where To?.
2. Then touch

Extras.
3. Lastly, touch

Custom POIs.
Deleting Custom POIs
To delete all custom POIs from your navigation system:
1. Touch

Tools.
2. Touch

My Data.
3. Touch

Custom POIs.
4. Touch

Delete All.
5. Lastly, touch

Yes to confirm.
78 Uconnect Touch™ 8.4 SYSTEM

·
Registered
59 Posts
1--- use a memory stick-not a sd card or disk

2--- create a folder named Garmin important note this is CASE SENSITIVE

3--- create a sub folder named POI also CASE SENSITIVE

4--- use garmin poi loader to load files into this folder this file must be named Poi.gpi and is also case sensitive.
5---- start vehicle let radio boot up and install memory stick and follow directions on screen

I used these instructions and downloaded a database (picked nuvi 700 since uconnect garmin is not a choice) from Phantomalert. Put the stick into the usb port and the poi's were loaded into the nav unit. I can see the poi's in the extras menu but don't see them on the nav unit. I can't get an alert when I go by a school on my street or a speedtrap in the area. These both show up in my nuvi 750.

I have calls in to both Garmin and Phantomalert seeking a solution.

If someone comes up with one before I do do please post here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No solution yet. I can load the POI's into the system but it tells me that the sound files are in the wrong format (they are in the right format for Garmin). The POI's show up as text on the screen as they should but with no sound or visual POI's. Without the sound working the POI's are useless.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I can't even get that far. It seems to load them but then returns an error code when it reboots. Maybe ChryslerCares can let us know when they plan on a firmware update to fix this. ;)

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
*subscribed*

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Yeah, I've got mine working..... sometimes. Just because it fails doesn't mean you've done something wrong, you just have to keep trying. I can't nail down exactly what it is/was that stopped mine uploading poi's. I formatted the thumb drive to fat32. I made sure to only use the express recommended setting on the Poi Loader. I deleted the custom poi's on the nav before putting in the usb. Sometimes when it gave an error on rebooting I just turned everything off... ie. ignition then open and close the door and wait till it all goes to sleep before starting again and then it would work. So go figure. Also make sure car is running when doing it, not just ignition on. And the path needs to be x:/Garmin/POI/Poi.exe, case sensitive as mentioned above. I then also wondered what if any size limit there was on the Poi.exe file. I've had it up to a bit over 800kb. I don't know if there is a limit or anything else that might stop it working or why it sometimes works and not other times. Bloody thing. lol.

Anyway, hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
oh btw. All the poi's show up on the map and the audio alerts work as they are supposed to. I used bmp and mp3 and gpx files to make the poi.exe. This is how my folder looks that I use to create the poi.exe with the Loader.

Accident_Black_Spots.bmp
Accident_Black_Spots.gpx
ANSW_Petrol.bmp
ANSW_Petrol.csv
Camera-AU.bmp
Camera-AU.gpx
Camera-AU.mp3
Car_Dealers-AU.bmp
Car_Dealers-AU.gpx
Mobile_Speed_Camera-AUS-New_South_Wales.bmp
Mobile_Speed_Camera-AUS-New_South_Wales.gpx
Nissan_au-AUS-New_South_Wales.bmp
Nissan_au-AUS-New_South_Wales.gpx
Rest_area-AU-AUS-New_South_Wales.bmp
Rest_area-AU-AUS-New_South_Wales.gpx
RTA-AUS-New_South_Wales.bmp
RTA-AUS-New_South_Wales.gpx
School_Zones_NSW-AU.bmp
School_Zones_NSW-AU.gpx
School_Zones_NSW-AU.mp3
Supercheap_Auto-AUS-New_South_Wales.bmp
Supercheap_Auto-AUS-New_South_Wales.gpx

·
Registered
73 Posts
I uploaded the POI's but it doesn't seem to use the BMP image or the MP3 sound. It does however have a text bubble pop up on the screen and a "Ding Ding" sound whenever I am approaching a speed camera for example.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts