Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2012 Chrysler 300 Limited with AWD (3.6L V6 with 8 spd Auto) and the 8.4N radio and Garmin navigation. In the past two years, the GARMIN which had about 50 Favorites Names, Telephone numbers and Addresses programmed in, all of a sudden after starting and taking off and planning to select a destination of one of the Favorites (or even Home for that matter), are ALL GONE .. and I am left with GARMIN address and phone date for US and Canada, just as if the FACTORY RESET was initiated. I also lose all settings, 3-D map, car figure instead of just an arrow, etc.

The GARMIN had a 2013 map update, prior to which I had all these FAVORITES in memory, and after the update it still retained it. Prior to the update this information was probably in memory for at least 6 months. Then all of a sudden on fine day after starting up ... bam .. all data gone back to factory reset.

Couple of weeks ago I updated to the new 2014 DVD maps, and still had the reentered FAVORITES in memory. This past week, started out as usual, bam .. all data gone again!

I am kind of tired to keep on putting all that information in there, just to lose it at random.

Has anyone else had any issues with the unit somehow RESETTING itself while parked in the garage from one day to the next? At first I thought it might be low battery voltage, since I did not use the car for a week or two, but it started just fine, so that leaves that out.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. BTW I have not updated either the radio or the NAV yet to the new 2012 update from Chrysler now on the web. I wonder if that would have a fix for that, or do I have a defecto unit??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello all,

I have a 2012 Chrysler 300 Limited with AWD (3.6L V6 with 8 spd Auto) and the 8.4N radio and Garmin navigation. In the past two years, the GARMIN which had about 50 Favorites Names, Telephone numbers and Addresses programmed in, all of a sudden after starting and taking off and planning to select a destination of one of the Favorites (or even Home for that matter), are ALL GONE .. and I am left with GARMIN address and phone date for US and Canada, just as if the FACTORY RESET was initiated. I also lose all settings, 3-D map, car figure instead of just an arrow, etc.

The GARMIN had a 2013 map update, prior to which I had all these FAVORITES in memory, and after the update it still retained it. Prior to the update this information was probably in memory for at least 6 months. Then all of a sudden on fine day after starting up ... bam .. all data gone back to factory reset.

Couple of weeks ago I updated to the new 2014 DVD maps, and still had the reentered FAVORITES in memory. This past week, started out as usual, bam .. all data gone again!

I am kind of tired to keep on putting all that information in there, just to lose it at random.

Has anyone else had any issues with the unit somehow RESETTING itself while parked in the garage from one day to the next? At first I thought it might be low battery voltage, since I did not use the car for a week or two, but it started just fine, so that leaves that out.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. BTW I have not updated either the radio or the NAV yet to the new 2012 update from Chrysler now on the web. I wonder if that would have a fix for that, or do I have a defecto unit??

Thanks in advance.
zoltangz,

I'm sorry to hear about your Garmin and reset concern.

Have you had an opportunity to speak with your service dept. or Garmin directly? If there are Chrysler updates available for your system, I would recommend arranging an appointment to have them installed. Be sure to speak with the Service Manager as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GARMIN Resets at random ..

zoltangz,

I'm sorry to hear about your Garmin and reset concern.

Have you had an opportunity to speak with your service dept. or Garmin directly? If there are Chrysler updates available for your system, I would recommend arranging an appointment to have them installed. Be sure to speak with the Service Manager as well.

Thank you for your response. To answer your questions, no I have not done any Chrysler updates either myself or the dealer concerning this. There was one recall for some software update but to my knowledge it was for the engine check light, not the communications units.

As I mentioned I updated with the GARMIN DVD Maps for the last two years, but that is all. The first time it reset, I assumed it was a fluke, and I just re-entered all my data, which the unit held properly for over 6-8 months. Now that I updated the map for 2014, I am not sure if that was the cause, same as the first event after the 2013 map update, or totally independent of those updates. Nonetheless, it now did this weird RESET twice in two years, and I will bring it up to the Service Manager next time I am in for inspection or oil and filter change.

The reason I posted this on this forum was to find out if anyone else had similar experience with the Navigation unit, and what they found out or did about it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It happens sometimes. The Garmin module is pretty robust, but occasionally it looses its mind.

From looking at what happens inside the Garmin module via a hidden Developer Mode, you can see a log of all of the crashes and glitches. One of the most common events, that I've seen in EVERY 8.4N radio that I've looked at, is "Improper Power Down". I suspect that when you turn the car off, instead of gracefully powering down the Garmin module in a controlled manner, it simply kills the power. If the Garmin was in the process of writing data to its internal flash memory when that happens, it could cause the data to become corrupted. When that happens, the Garmin module will attempt to fix itself by flushing out all of the non-protected user data, which includes favorites and user settings.

It's something that is bound to happen to everyone at some point, but there's a way to insure that you don't lose anything in the future after you put it all back in.

If you enter the Dealer Mode by pressing the driver's side temperature up (red arrow), temperature down (blue arrow) and front defrost button all at the same time and hold them for about 10 seconds, there is an option to back up the user data to a USB stick. This includes Garmin settings, radio stations, etc. There is also an option to restore the data from the USB stick.

As far as the recently released updates go, I wouldn't bother wasting the time to install them. They really don't do anything. If the dealership wants to install them, you can let them, but it's truly a PITA to get them to download in the first place -and you'll likely lose all of your Garmin settings again after the update...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
GARMIN Rests Itselt To Factory Setting At Random...

It happens sometimes. The Garmin module is pretty robust, but occasionally it looses its mind.

From looking at what happens inside the Garmin module via a hidden Developer Mode, you can see a log of all of the crashes and glitches. One of the most common events, that I've seen in EVERY 8.4N radio that I've looked at, is "Improper Power Down". I suspect that when you turn the car off, instead of gracefully powering down the Garmin module in a controlled manner, it simply kills the power. If the Garmin was in the process of writing data to its internal flash memory when that happens, it could cause the data to become corrupted. When that happens, the Garmin module will attempt to fix itself by flushing out all of the non-protected user data, which includes favorites and user settings.

It's something that is bound to happen to everyone at some point, but there's a way to insure that you don't lose anything in the future after you put it all back in.

If you enter the Dealer Mode by pressing the driver's side temperature up (red arrow), temperature down (blue arrow) and front defrost button all at the same time and hold them for about 10 seconds, there is an option to back up the user data to a USB stick. This includes Garmin settings, radio stations, etc. There is also an option to restore the data from the USB stick.

As far as the recently released updates go, I wouldn't bother wasting the time to install them. They really don't do anything. If the dealership wants to install them, you can let them, but it's truly a PITA to get them to download in the first place -and you'll likely lose all of your Garmin settings again after the update...
Thanks TANBAM, I have not tried this procedure yet, and I have succeeded to download the 2011-2012 Chrysler update via Chrysler's help, and have the files, but I did not install it yet.

What you say sounds very probable and logical, when I will get an extra USB thumb-drive, I will try the Dealer Mode as you suggest, re-enter the address data to the GARMIN and back it up to the USB, and see what happens if it will ever decide to do a fast one on me.

Will get back to you guys after I at least get into the settings, enter my Favorites, and back up the data. The rest is time dependent since the last memory glitch took 6-8 months, before 'amnesia' set in, LOL !

Thanks again.

PS. TANBAM, I forgot to ask you, perhaps you know .... what size USB Thumb drive would be needed for such a backup (16GB be enough ??) ... and what formatting does it need, the same as for the audio files FAT32, not exFAT that some come preformatted for ? Also .. would an SD Card work in the card slot for updates and backups or only the USB is selectable from the Dealer Mode ... have not tried that arrow button trick yet.
Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
GARMIN USB or SD CARD Programming or Backing -up Question..

TANBAM, I forgot to ask you, perhaps you know .... what size USB Thumb drive would be needed for such a backup (16GB be enough ??) ... and what formatting does it need, the same as for the audio files FAT32, not exFAT that some come preformatted for ? Also .. would an SD Card work in the card slot for updates and backups or only the USB is selectable from the Dealer Mode ... have not tried that arrow button trick yet.
Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The file is quite small; it's just the settings and coordinates. Probably not any larger than a couple MB. Any USB stick should work fine; normal, everyday formatting. It will not work for the SD slot.

Neat trick: hold Driver Temp Up/Down + REAR Defrost button for ten seconds to capture a screen-shot and save it to the USB stick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
GARMIN Data Save and Reload ...

The file is quite small; it's just the settings and coordinates. Probably not any larger than a couple MB. Any USB stick should work fine; normal, everyday formatting. It will not work for the SD slot.

Neat trick: hold Driver Temp Up/Down + REAR Defrost button for ten seconds to capture a screen-shot and save it to the USB stick.
TANBAM, thanks for the reply, but I am a bit confused. In this last posting you mention holding the Driver Temp Up/Down + REAR Defrost buttons for 10 seconds (does this still bring you into the Dealer Mode? ) cause in your earlier post you mentioned the FRONT Defrost button along with both Driver's Temp Up/Down arrows ... and I did try that .. without a USB thumbdrive yet, and got into the Dealer Mode Menu ... I pressed the GARMIN (last option) and it did give me a message to insert a DVD or USB (hence no SD card option) ..

So what exactly will the REAR Defrost button do with the Temp Up/Down .. in this case you mention about a SCREEN SHOT??

Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. In the Dealer mode, don't mess with the Garmin menu; it's for restoring firmware.

You want the "Copy User Data" to save your settings and favorites to a USB stick, and "Restore User Data" to copy the settings and favorites from the USB stick back into the radio if it resets itself again.

The "rear defrost" button combination takes a screenshot of your display and saves it onto a USB stick, which can be useful at times.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the confusion. In the Dealer mode, don't mess with the Garmin menu; it's for restoring firmware.

You want the "Copy User Data" to save your settings and favorites to a USB stick, and "Restore User Data" to copy the settings and favorites from the USB stick back into the radio if it resets itself again.

The "rear defrost" button combination takes a screenshot of your display and saves it onto a USB stick, which can be useful at times.
Thanks for clarifying the info. When I get my hands on couple of USB thumbdrives I will try both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts