Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a gas installer in Melbournes south eastern suburbs that will fit a direct injected system to my 300c 5.7lt wagon. Wagon being the problem.
Can anyone help me out?

By the way, this is my first post here.
I should have said hello to everyone first. Hello everyone.
Great looking forum and lots of info from what I can see.
Thank you.
Brett.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Try Parnell Auto Gas:

Parnell

They make the systems and should be able to do the install or put you onto someone who can. I have their system on my V6 300C but it was installed in Perth so no good to you.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Good to see u here topscale, I hope u have a great read through the forum. I am sure someone can help u out with your gas.

Once u have 10 post send HEMI57 a pm and he can change you username.

Troy

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
...welcome to the forum. You might want to try...
Auto Gas Clinic in Bayswater
12 Scoresby Rd
Bayswater
VIC, 3153
Australia

Contact Details
Ph(03) 9720 3288

or...

Dynomotive
L.P. Gas & Natural Gas Conversions--Vehicle - Bayswater, VIC
Address
Fcty1/ 18 Melrich Rd
Bayswater
VIC, 3153
Australia

Contact Details
Ph(03) 9762 6500

hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the information guys.
I had heard that someone in bayswater was doing them but didnt know who. Sounds like you may have got me on the right track.
I dont think parnell do the wagon yet.
From what I have been told, the problem is that the floor in the back has to be cut and that requires an engineers certificate. To this point I have not been able to find anyone that has been able to do the job due to this issue.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have a doughnut fitted in the wheel well of my sedan, I'm not sure if this would work for the wagon.

There was a fair bit of hammer work done to the wheel well to get it to fit, particularly at the rear, but no cutting. It probably would have been neater to cut and add a little bit more metal at the back. The boot floor liner sits up a little bit at the back and the tank is not quite level so I am a couple of litres short on capacity too.

Small price to pay for 1/3 off your fuel bill.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank You for all the help so far. The guys in Bayswater noted above are looking into things for me but to this point I have not been able to find anyone that has done the the convertion on the wagon.
Parnell havnt done one either.
Alas, I still need help.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Can you take some photos of the wheel well for comparison with the sedan? Or perhaps they can trial fit a dounut tank?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Posting the picture up here was the general idea, I haven't really had a good look at the wagon wheel well. I might be able to give you some idea of the tank fittment. This is what mine looks like for reference:

If the wago uses the same basic sheetmetal in for the wheel well then you might be in luck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks very close to the wagon wheel well. In the sedan does the space saver fit on an angle like it was an after thought? How many litres is the tank in the pic?
I will post a picture up when I can and we can have a closer look.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The space saver does sit at an angle in the boot. There is a raised section at the rear of the wheel well that the spare sits on, this needed to be belted down flat and also there is a bit of a cross member at the front of the wheel well that needed a bit of relief work as well. The cover board (floor) still sits up about an inch at the back in mine. A bit more work in the wheel well would probably fix this, something you would definitely need to do in the wagon. A thinner board would probably help too.

Mine takes a about 46 litres from dead empty and gives me a range of just on 300 km with the V6. It would probably take a little bit more if the tank was level rather than sitting at a slight angle. Of course you still have the petrol to fall back on if you need to, so the total range would be 800-900 km.

I will try to take a picture or two from underneath when I get a chance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wagon 1st layer
[/IMG]

Wagon 2nd layer
[/IMG]

Wagon 3rd layer
[/IMG]

Wagon wheel well from rear
[/IMG]

Wagon wheel well from drivers side
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Judging tfrom your photos Huskydog, the donut tank should go in much the same as the sedan. You might need to modify the cover for the spare though as the tank will stick up a bit if done the same as mine, otherwise you would need to droop the bottom of the wheel well down a bit more at the back.

Here are some more detailed photos of my tank installation.

Top view:

Another top view:

Side view to give you an idea how far my tank sits up at the back:

Before picture of the bottom of the wheel well:

After picture of the bottom of the wheel well:

You can see that that this bit is a bit crude, but unless it is a show car nobody will be looking underneath. It could be done a bit neater with a bit of cutting and welding involved. Oh, and that is the gas lines comming out the bottom.

You will also need a bit of hammer work at the front of the wheel well, I have put some arrowa on one of your pictures to give you an idea:

Finally you will need some of this stuff to replace your spare:

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the in depth information Protego,
From what you have shown, there is certainly a way of getting gas on the wagon without an engineering certificate, should I choose to go with the smaller capacity tank. At least I now have some good information to go back to the installers with. Dropping the tank through the floor was the stumbling block.
Because of the multiple layers of the rear of the wagon it should be still possible to maintain the spare but I would loose all of the layers and only maintain the original hight in the back. Personaly I dont want to loose them so the spare in a can might be a good idea, so long as I dont tear a side wall.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Nice photos & write up Protego.

Did the motor need "tuning" to run on LPG?

Hope Johnny paid up the $2000.00 towards installation costs.
Cheers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts