Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 300s with the 5.7. I am getting 11-12 gas milage in the city no matter how light I am on the throttle. On the interstate I get 26-29mpg, but city driving is killing me and that is what I do most of. Any recommendations for mods under $500 to improve my situation.

·
Administrator
19,623 Posts
1. Don't drive in O/D around town at low speeds. Low RPM motoring on the HEMI is a MPG killer.
2. As the engine gets some miles on it the MPG gets better.
3. You can add a cold air intake, freer flowing mufflers and a programmer. They do help and the car is much more responsive.
4. My experience with a 5.7L and 87 octane fuel was very poor. It got better mileage with the 89 mid-grade fuel.

So try driving in manual mode a bit around town, try some tanks of 89 octane and put some miles on it. My 6.1L responded nicely with all 4 conditions above being met.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I will probably end up getting some type of programmer. I just started putting 89 and I have noticed a difference. My gas bill is almost half my note on this car a month. Hopefully as you say mpg will get better with use. I have 1100 miles so far.

·
Administrator
19,623 Posts
Yes, both of my HEMI engines benefited from mileage and some minor mods. A freer flowing intake would be my first suggestion. The tuner on it's own won't realize the full benefits of a more efficient tune. You do need more air in and more air out (intake and exhaust) to maximize your gains.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Interesting. My average MPG has settled at about 23mpg, 70% Highway. However, for a few weeks I was 100% city and saw no lower then 19MPG. I tend to "stick" drive the car a good bit. Never using 5th gear in City. Even at 60mph in 4th the HEMI spins a low 2,000 RPM.

Maddog had some very good input here.

I would give the dealer a call and see if perhaps the ECU is acting up. 11-12MPG is worst then my Dads 5.7 RAM Crew Cab.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have 24K miles on my 2012 300S Hemi. Normal driving in the city gets me 17-20 city and a very consistent 27-30 on the highway. It doesnt take much heavy foot on the throttle to lower those numbers though. I havent done any engine mods. Knowing me, if I mod up this engine, I will start pushing it just to see how much faster it is and then my mileage will get worse ..... but that's just me.
I was surprised that the mileage on the Hemi wasnt much worse than my Magnum 3.5 V6. The Hemi does do better on 89 octane but you're paying more too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of stop and go

There are tons of pot holes here in new Orleans due to the mud foundation of the city, I have to slow down tons over pot holes or risk damaging the rims. Feel as if this is greatly affecting my mpg. When I had a mustang a few years ago I was introduced to a ram air system for the intake which essentially placed open pipes under the front bumper which fed air to the intake. It was marketed as the only intake system which actually helped you gain power and mpg. I think I might try to find such a system for the 300, however I'm nervous about spending money on improving the intake when from my understanding the S model already comes with a suped up version.

·
Registered
434 Posts
There are tons of pot holes here in new Orleans due to the mud foundation of the city, I have to slow down tons over pot holes or risk damaging the rims. Feel as if this is greatly affecting my mpg. When I had a mustang a few years ago I was introduced to a ram air system for the intake which essentially placed open pipes under the front bumper which fed air to the intake. It was marketed as the only intake system which actually helped you gain power and mpg. I think I might try to find such a system for the 300, however I'm nervous about spending money on improving the intake when from my understanding the S model already comes with a suped up version.
If you are driving in Nawlins you won't get mileage with all the traffic and stop and go driving. Move to the Northshore. My 5.7 gets about 18 with the wife driving in town and when I drive in town about 19. ON the hwy I average between 26 and 29 mpg. But then I live way up north,, on the Northshore. :beerchug:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I get between 11.5 and 13 in city driving...large city, stop and go....and at best 26 on the hwy.

My 2008 C used to get 13.5 in the city...heavy foot or not.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
My 05 suffered the most on short driving trips. I found manually shifting improved things, which seemed odd to me, because MDS is disabled when in autostick mode.

However, I thought the newer cars had improved mileage over the older cars. Could be the stop-and-go traffic that's killing the mpg, though.

Maybe try using the manual shifters for a while and observe for changes. I don't know if MDS (or whatever it's called now) is turned off when using autostick on the newer vehicles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My 05 suffered the most on short driving trips. I found manually shifting improved things, which seemed odd to me, because MDS is disabled when in autostick mode.

However, I thought the newer cars had improved mileage over the older cars. Could be the stop-and-go traffic that's killing the mpg, though.

Maybe try using the manual shifters for a while and observe for changes. I don't know if MDS (or whatever it's called now) is turned off when using autostick on the newer vehicles.
It is still disabled when manual mode is engaged...I am going to try it for a week or so, see what happens. It seems backward to me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I get about 17 around city and about 23-25 highway. Most of my driving is in the city though. 11-13 sounds awfully low, like someone said you may want to get that checked by the dealer. Unless you drive very spirited, you may have an issue.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Whats the highest speed you can get to on the 5.7 with the MDS still on or active before it cuts out?

·
Registered
14 Posts
11-13 doesn't sound unreasonable for city driving. You guys gotta keep in mind that city driving means something different depending on where you live.

In my 05 300c I'm getting 12.5mpg on 87 octane with city driving and 24-26mpg on the highway. City driving for me means that for a 5 mile trip, there will likely be a signal every quarter mile or less, almost every traffic signal is red, and I'll be waiting on average 1-3 minutes per signal (or longer if the signal isn't green long enough for me to make it through the first time). City driving is a gas killer when you're in a big city.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Pretty girls cost more. I gladly pour all the 89 octane she wants in her tank in order to let me drive her. 11-12 in the city sounds just what I get. Freeway driving with AC; 26, without AC 28.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You have to throw it in manual amd just not shift into overdrive

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So i got 14 mpg in the middle of the day going through 11-12 stop lights, for 7 miles and i never exceeded 35 mph. However, there was much less traffic at noon then there would have been at 5.
I didn't realize that idling at a stop averages into your mpg; therefore, lots of stop and go traffic at 5 in nola causes me to get 0 mpg for long periods of time because i am fully stopped. To the poster who recommended that i move to the burbs to get better mpg, hands down for any professional under 40, nola is second to only DC, when it comes to providing good paying jobs with a kick butt social life. I can live with 14 mpg in the city, but this car guzzles gass at idle. you would think it would switch to four cylinder operation when idling at full stops.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Fuel MPG 05 300c

I have a 2005 300c with 58K miles on it.. Volant Cold Air Intake and Borla Exhaust. I'm only getting 18 in the city and 20-22 on the Highway. Does anyone know why im getting so poor mileage using 89 octane fuel. :sadwavey::dot:

Thanks
David

1 - 20 of 36 Posts