Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we all now that gas prices are going trhough the roof. Since I got my car I have been running the 93 octane. I know the car calls for 91. So sometimes when I have like a half tank I go top it up with the 89 octane. So far no problems. But my question is does anyone running this babies in 87 octane with no problems? I have a friend that has a Magnum SRT and run it on the 87 and he said he has no problems, but I'm not too sure about doing that. I'm just asking and I'm a little incline to do it because of the gas prices right now. I just need some opinions and inputs on thies. Thanks...

Right now in Port St. Lucie, FL, 87 = $3.77, 89 = $3.87, 91 = $3.97 per gallon

PS. check below to see the mods I have in the car, just in case this takes part of it.....

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Think of the price this way

Let's say you drive 1,000 miles and get 18 miles to the gallon.

That would take 55 gallons of gas. At $3.77 per gallon that would take $209.

At $3.97 per gallon that would cost $218.

So you will pay about $9 more every 1,000 miles.

If you can't afford an extra $9 you should quickly look for a car that gets 32-40 miles per gallon.

The timing and fuel maps for your car are designed to run higher octane. Also higher octane will net you slightly better mileage. Run the good stuff and don't worry about the extra $9 per 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you can't afford an extra $9 you should quickly look for a car that gets 32-40 miles per gallon.
Thanks Moose! All I hear from people at work is how they can get the "cheapest" gas. People's mentality never stops amazing me. When gas was 1.20 for super, that was like 20% more than regular. Now the difference between the two is like 3-4%! You would think that folks would have figured that out by now!

I get upset at how naive and ignorant most people are! I go even further than you did when I broach the subject. I say, suppose gas was $100 per gallon for regular. Would you still not buy super for $100.30 ?? Would you still drive 10 extra miles to buy that water-gas from Walmart?
That usually gets their brains to at least acknowledge that their thinking is flawed.

listen up people:

The higher the price of gas, the more reason you have to buy super!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The car would run on regular, but when the PCM adjusts for the lower octane, the engine loses some efficiency and you likely erase the fuel cost savings anyway, so why bother!

I try to talk my parents out of buying "mid-grade" all of the time. I don't even know why they make that junk.

Oh well, keep spreading the word!

·
Registered
515 Posts
two thumbs up for mosse and ^^^^^, right on the dot

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks Moose! All I hear from people at work is how they can get the "cheapest" gas. People's mentality never stops amazing me. When gas was 1.20 for super, that was like 20% more than regular. Now the difference between the two is like 3-4%! You would think that folks would have figured that out by now!

I get upset at how naive and ignorant most people are! I go even further than you did when I broach the subject. I say, suppose gas was $100 per gallon for regular. Would you still not buy super for $100.30 ?? Would you still drive 10 extra miles to buy that water-gas from Walmart?
That usually gets their brains to at least acknowledge that their thinking is flawed.

listen up people:

The higher the price of gas, the more reason you have to buy super!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The car would run on regular, but when the PCM adjusts for the lower octane, the engine loses some efficiency and you likely erase the fuel cost savings anyway, so why bother!

I try to talk my parents out of buying "mid-grade" all of the time. I don't even know why they make that junk.

Oh well, keep spreading the word!
Just remember, premium isn't for every car. Most cars today run best on 87 which has more heat energy. Only high compression engines run good on premium. Before the Diablo I was running 89 in my srt8. Not to save money, but because I got better mpg and more power. With the diablo, I run 91 and have slightly better mpg than when I ran 89 stock (but A LOT more power).

·
Registered
375 Posts
I heard some people saying you may loose mileage with lower octane. So your savings are not going to be as great as expected.

I have not heard anything about using 87 instead of 91. I think, SRT-8 engine was not designed and tuned for 87 or extensive use of 89 as demand for this car is purely discretionary. You go for it for other reasons than fuel economy.

5.7 HEMIs used to be marked for 89, but 2008 product brochure already says 87 is acceptable, but 89 is recommended. May be this is Chrysler's response to rising fuel prices and they tuned 2008 cars to handle 87 better.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Would you still drive 10 extra miles to buy that water-gas from Walmart?
That's for sure!!

I never go to Race Trac or QT or Wal-Mart, but I made the mistake of doing it for the first time ever the other week. I went to Wal-Mart and got 93 Octane and my car just did not have the same pep as it usually did. I could tell right off that the car was sluggish. I will never do it again. Those kinds of places are for people who drive low compression cars and don't need good high octane.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is simple. We (SRT8 Owners) did not buy the car for gas milage, we got it for performance. If you are worried about a few pennies a gallon the you have the wrong car! Go with the High Test, both you and your throughbred will be happy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Using the Predator is another reason to stick with premium. With the advance in the ignition cycle you might get pinging with 87. If you were really hard up for money and ran the 87 on a regularly tuned, non Predator car it would run with a little less power but there hasn't been any studies that suggest that you would also have a lower mpg. With me though, I'm sticking with the Premium gas. It's not worth the extra few bucks to go with the lower octane stuff.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Safeway here has a 20cent discount when I buy x amount of food so I get premium for regular price and Safeway gas has been pretty good to me

·
Registered
574 Posts
i always get premium.

same gas station--Chevron.

93 octane-$4.06 per gallon nowadays.

100 octane is ~$8/gallon. when i feel like having a lil more fun:cool:

my SRT deserves it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i get 10% off with my gas card s oits like buying reg or cheaper sumtimes

·
Registered
61 Posts
I went with 89 for my last fill up. When I thought about the math afterwards it really doesn't make any sense. I basically saved $1.70 on the tank....... Not worth It!!!!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I went with 89 for my last fill up. When I thought about the math afterwards it really doesn't make any sense. I basically saved $1.70 on the tank....... Not worth It!!!!!
light bulb!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts