Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

The car is stuck in park. Luckily it's in the garage and I was not in the middle of nowhere!

I know this is a common problem and I have already looked at a video on how to fix this. I believe it's the plastic 'thingy' that breaks off.

Question: does anyone know where to get one from? Maybe after market or original? And maybe any tips?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,493 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much, DGO!

One last question: Can you see if this part is broken without taking the gear assembly out? Can quite figure it out from the video...

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
You can get out of Park, if you need to move the car, by using a thin blade screwdriver inserted into the hole under the adjacent rubber mat. There is a description on the Forum somewhere. I haven't had need to try this myself yet, but I carry a suitable screwdriver just in case.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Here is a simple fix:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, after quite some difficulty managed to get the unit out.

The problem was the fact that there is VERY little room to get the unit out. So, having seen another video, I ended up taking the three bolts out of the center console. This does NOT mean the center console slides back! But it allows for the console to be lifted from the back, which in turn makes it a bit easier for the unit to come out. Still quite tricky.
Thanks to my long suffering wife for helping!!!

Have ordered the new 'thingy' from the guys at the custom shop and it has already been dispached.

Only one problem so far: managed to break off a black bit that needs to be pushed in to open the unit. No big deal.

Hopefully getting it back in will be a little easier.

Will report back when finished.

IMG_20201028_145216.jpg

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
You seem to have done a good job so far and presumably getting it all back will just be the reverse. If you do get stuck, I have the Service Manual with detailed instructions on removal and installation. The Manual makes several references to the need when installing the park lock cable to have the key in the lock position and the shift lever in Park.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks as if part of the pinky thing just snapped off. Can you see any reason for this happening?
It's a well documented problem. It happens when the plastic (in time) becomes a little brittle.
The replacement part I ordered from our friends at the custom shop is made of alluminium and arrived this lunch time. Have now fittted it into the unit and closed it.
Tomorrow I will fit the unit into the car with the aid of my assistant (long suffering wife of 35 years)!
Let's hope all goes well!

IMG_20201029_145137.jpg
IMG_20201029_141218.jpg
IMG_20201029_141323.jpg
IMG_20201029_141347.jpg
IMG_20201029_141432.jpg
IMG_20201029_142004.jpg
IMG_20201029_143955.jpg
IMG_20201029_144919.jpg

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,493 Posts
That looks decent quality - hope it all goes back together more easily than it came out!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Nice pics. I now have a better idea of how park lock works.

A common cause of plastic becoming brittle is exposure to UV radiation, but I don't think this could have happened.

I can't believe how a flimsy piece of plastic was used in a position where failure could effectively disable the vehicle.
As the saying goes: "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link".

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
The dreaded "pink thingy" failure has been a thing since these cars were introduced.

That little hook where the spring attaches is much too small even for that small spring which is in tension all the time. Eventually that plastic gives up due to the stress.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I removed mine....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I got my car I read about the things that are a hassle with this car. I immediately fixed the stupid "tin shell" wheel nuts, the "self levelling" (other motorist blinding) lights"; AND the "stupid pink thingy."

The new ones are easily found on Ebay. They have the pink one, and the metal one.

Watch out, because the pink thing is the weak link. But the other end of the spring ALSO goes into plastic? Although black plastic that looks less brittle than the pink lockout lever.

The biggest thing I found was removing the trim. I have ALWAYS hated "snap" fasteners. I would much rather have simple screws.

Anyway, I found the best way to remove was to understand where each snap clip is and get right next to it with a trim tool. If you are too far along, trim will just flex.

There are eons on you tube. Use that and then you can see exactly where each holding lug is.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all

The car is stuck in park. Luckily it's in the garage and I was not in the middle of nowhere!

I know this is a common problem and I have already looked at a video on how to fix this. I believe it's the plastic 'thingy' that breaks off.

Question: does anyone know where to get one from? Maybe after market or original? And maybe any tips?

Many thanks.
I had a 2005 300C that the same thing happened to. Don’t how much that custom replacement cost but I figured out any easy fix with the broken part. Right under where the hook for the spring broke off I drilled a small hole through it. Make sure it’s a spot that won’t interfere with anything. I took a small cotter pin and inserted it into the hole with the loop right under the break point to attach the spring to. Not problems with the rest of the time I owned it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all

Many thanks.
The dealer.
It cost me $15 about 3 yrs ago.
And the youtube video really helped!
Hi all

Many thanks.
It is the plastic "thingy".$15 part at the dealer...I had to change mine also..thank god for youtube!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all

Many thanks.
Idk about the UK but here in the states you can buy a metal replacement for like $20. Much better than the cheap pink plastic piece. Tip : be patient and gentle and you'll have to move the center console into the backseat a little. All in all should take you about an hr.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE:

Almost success!!

Put everything together this morning. Took about 3/4 hour (with wife holding the torch)!

I will hopefully put a web page together with all the pictures I took and some more instructions. The main problem with following youtube videos is that they are almost always made in the USA. Our UK (right hand drive) cars seem to be ever so slightly different. But more will follow on this subject...

The car starts and shifts properly now. However, the key get sometimes stuck in the ignition.
I believe this is due to the replacement (aluminium) 'thingy' not being exactly the same as the original. Or, it could be that when I re-assembled (or dismantled) the car, I inadvertently changed the lenght of the metal cable on the left. I understand that, if that lenght is not excactly correct, the key will not come out.
Wigglying the gear lever whilst turning the key does, eventually, release the key.

I will fiddle with the cable over the coming days and post an update.

IMG_20201030_083011.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts