Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
You can get out of Park, if you need to move the car, by using a thin blade screwdriver inserted into the hole under the adjacent rubber mat. There is a description on the Forum somewhere. I haven't had need to try this myself yet, but I carry a suitable screwdriver just in case.
I've just checked this and confirmed that the hole is big enough to view the pinky thing and get a finger in touch it.
I think the screwdriver method referred to obtaining access from the top.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Still haven't fully worked out why, but the gear lever doesn't always go all the way back to the left, hence the key won't come out unless it is pushed over.

Just compare the two images...

IMG_20201030_150511.jpg IMG_20201030_150527.jpg

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I have just come across this item, relating to "Park Position" on P101 of the Owner's Manual:

"For electrical system malfunctions, there is an override for the interlock system. In order to override this system the key must be in the ignition with the switch in the ACC or ON positions.
Remove the rubber storage tray from the bin located to the right of the shifter lever. The override can be activated by pressing the pink colored tab, which can be accessed through a hole inside the bin. While the override is pressed, the shifter can be moved out of the park position without pressing the brake"

The note refers to "electrical" malfunctions, so I wonder if this would work with the broken spring lug problem.
Has anyone ever used this method?

Looking at the third photo in post #9, I can see two pink "thingys", one of them in the top cover on the left and this looks like the one visible through the hole. So how does this "thingy" interact with the broken one?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have just come across this item, relating to "Park Position" on P101 of the Owner's Manual:

"For electrical system malfunctions, there is an override for the interlock system. In order to override this system the key must be in the ignition with the switch in the ACC or ON positions.
Remove the rubber storage tray from the bin located to the right of the shifter lever. The override can be activated by pressing the pink colored tab, which can be accessed through a hole inside the bin. While the override is pressed, the shifter can be moved out of the park position without pressing the brake"

The note refers to "electrical" malfunctions, so I wonder if this would work with the broken spring lug problem.
Has anyone ever used this method?

Looking at the third photo in post #9, I can see two pink "thingys", one of them in the top cover on the left and this looks like the one visible through the hole. So how does this "thingy" interact with the broken one?
devilmaycare
The pink coloured override tab only works if the pink 'thingy' is NOT broken. It's useful if, for example, you have a dead battery and need to be towed off the motorway. There is only one pink 'thingy' and the bit that breaks off is the bit that holds the spring in place.
I have read that in an emergency situation (if the pink 'thingy' is broken), you can remove all the trim and then use a long screwdrive and push the metal cable towards the passenger side whilst turning the ignition on. This would at least get you home.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi All

As mentioned earlier, I have created a web page for the UK market with tips and advice relating to the pink 'thingy'.

Not perfect, but may help someone.

If you see any error or omissions please let me know.

Pink 'thingy'

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
So I'll still need to keep my long screwdriver handy!

Your web page could be very useful and I have bookmarked it.

Cable adjustment does seem to be quite critical and perhaps this extract from the Service Manual could help:

"ADJUSTMENTS - BRAKE TRANSMISSION SHIFT INTERLOCK
The park interlock cable is part of the brake/shift lever interlock system. Correct cable adjustment is important to proper interlock operation. The gear shift and park lock cables must both be correctly adjusted in order to shift out of PARK.

ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE
1. Remove floor console as necessary for access to the park lock cable. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/FLOOR CONSOLE - REMOVAL)
2. Shift the transmission into the PARK position.
3. Turn ignition switch to LOCK position. Be sure ignition key cylinder is in the LOCK position. Cable will not adjust correctly in any other position. NOTE: If the key will not turn to the LOCK position, pull up on the cable lock button and manually move the cable in and out until the key can be turned to the LOCK position.
4. Pull cable lock button up to release cable, if necessary.
5. Remove and discard the cable adjuster lock pin, if a new cable is being installed.
6. Ensure that the cable is free to self-adjust by pushing cable rearward and releasing.
7. Push lock button down until it snaps in place. The lock should be 1-2mm below the surface of the cylinderical portion of the cable adjustment housing. "

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE
1. Remove floor console as necessary for access to the park lock cable. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/FLOOR CONSOLE - REMOVAL)
2. Shift the transmission into the PARK position.
3. Turn ignition switch to LOCK position. Be sure ignition key cylinder is in the LOCK position. Cable will not adjust correctly in any other position. NOTE: If the key will not turn to the LOCK position, pull up on the cable lock button and manually move the cable in and out until the key can be turned to the LOCK position.
4. Pull cable lock button up to release cable, if necessary.
5. Remove and discard the cable adjuster lock pin, if a new cable is being installed.
6. Ensure that the cable is free to self-adjust by pushing cable rearward and releasing.
7. Push lock button down until it snaps in place. The lock should be 1-2mm below the surface of the cylinderical portion of the cable adjustment housing. "
VERY, VERY interesting!
Now I would just like to understand point 4 and 6. Do you have a diagram?

I am pretty sure this is the part they are talking about:

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no diagram, so you will need to rely on the description. I would guess that you have correctly identified it.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts