Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i really need your help.
i cant change move the stick from park.!

i now have ti remove the rubber thing next to the shifter and press the pink thing to be able to move it otherwise as soon as i put in park again it get's stuck and i have to press the pink thing..

sorry about the spelling.. i hope you understand what the problem is...

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Apparently the pink plastic thingy breaks quite often. From what I've read over at LXF, Billet Technology is making a part now to replace it that should be much more robust and bust-proof.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but the pink thing is working and i've never used it before until now,, you dont know if its a fuse thats burned or something like that

·
Registered
828 Posts
The shifter actually has two "pink thingys" (watch: YouTube - Shift park lockout mechanisim).

The one that keeps breaking is inside the shifter. Mine hasn't broken yet so I haven't had it apart and therefore am not sure if or how the two pink thingys interact.

However, the pink thing that you are pressing is the Brake/Transmission Shift Interlock System override. This pink thing is on the outside of the shifter assembly and is NOT the one that keeps breaking.

In order for the shifter to move out of park, the ignition must be in the on position AND the brake must be pressed. The override is designed to allow you to move the shifter out of park in the event of an electrical system malfunction (see page 240 of 2007 owners manual). There is a solenoid in the shifter that receives electrical signals when the ignition key is turned on and again when the brake pedal is pressed. To verify that it is working, remove the rubber tray and lightly touch the pink override tab. Then turn the key to on - if it is working, you will feel and hear the override switch vibrate. Then press the brake pedal, and you will feel/hear it vibrate a second time. If it does not vibrate, you have an electrical problem, and pressing the pink tab will override the solenoid switch and allow you to move the shifter out of park. If it vibrates both times but the shifter still won't move out of park, then the internal pink thingy is probably broken. I believe (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that when the internal pink thingy breaks, the shifter will remain locked in park and pressing the override will not release it.

So, if the problem is electrical, it could be the solenoid itself, or a fuse that feeds the circuit. If it's a fuse, you would most likely notice other electrical functions that are also inoperable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
have someone check to see if your brake lights are working when you press them.... Sometime when a vehicle does this it is because of a bad brake switch. My brother had a Mustang that did this often because of a short in the wiring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thnx for all the good info regarding the "pink thingy"...
Although the piece that hooked to the spring that held the lock was broke and left me stuck in park in the first place... I got a bit over zealous and forced the pink thingy and broke it GOOD.
I can shift R N D and use the emergency brake, but really need to take it apart and replace the dang thingy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just learned the part name is "Park Lock Out Mechanism"
It runs 45.00 + shipping on Billet Technologies web site
Thankfull it is metal, enough of this plastic $#!+ that breaks like this!
Nothing like being stranded with such a stupid fix like this.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
should be a recall on this. Its nice to see gm do a recall on the HHR because the storage bin may not stay closed. Chrysler on the other hand feels that broken tie rods and cars that cant shift is of no big concern.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
should be a recall on this. Its nice to see gm do a recall on the HHR because the storage bin may not stay closed. Chrysler on the other hand feels that broken tie rods and cars that cant shift is of no big concern.
So why don't we start an e-mail blitz of Chrysler's Customer Service?

I will be sending one, and keeping my receipt for the BT part to apply for a refund!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Agreed, purhaps a petition would be nice for the pink thingy and the tierods? I think both of these issues are recall worthy.
So why don't we start an e-mail blitz of Chrysler's Customer Service?

I will be sending one, and keeping my receipt for the BT part to apply for a refund!

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
I sent off an e-mail to Chrysler Customer Assistance regarding the failures of the lock out mechanism, and got the automated message reply.

I screwed up by not having prepared the message with Word, so I don't have it saved. It will probably come back when a real reply comes in.

I am not holding my breath!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I think i'll give them a call today and voice my concerns/complaints, followed by an email :p

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
"park Lock Out Mechanism" Tsb Campaign

Here's my initial communication of 09/09/08 to Chrysler LLC Customer Assistance:

"TSB for "PARK LOCK OUT MECHANISM"?

It has come to my attention through various forums on the internet that
the subject PARK LOCK OUT MECHANISM are failing (in increasing numbers, and without any obvious relationship to vehicle age or mileage), and leaving
our cars unable to be shifted out of PARK.
What is Chrysler going to do about it???????"

Here is Chrysler LLC Customer Assistance initial reply of 09/10/08:

"Dear Eugene:

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
regarding the 2005 Chrysler 300 C.

We appreciate the time and effort you took to write to us. In response
to your email, we would like to inform you that we have documented your
comments and have forwarded them to the appropriate department for
review.

In addition, we would like to inform you that in the automotive
industry, a recall campaign occurs when the manufacturer of a vehicle
recalls from the customer a product which has been found to require a
repair, has a safety-related defect or is in noncompliance with a
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard. Occasionally, a manufacturer
will issue a recall about a customer satisfaction issue.

You can access the self-service recall site on the internet to check on
your vehicle's involvement in any/all recalls that are published. Simply
go to one of our brand sites: Official Chrysler site - Autos, Cars, Minivans, SUVs, Convertibles, Sedans, Crossovers, click on "For Owners"
and then insert the last eight digits of your Vehicle Identification
Number (VIN).

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the
Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-992-1997 for an additional
discussion.

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Mike Hanes
Customer Service Representative
Chrysler Customer Assistance Center

For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the
following information:
REFERENCE NUMBER: 17885582
EMAIL CASE NUMBER: 2094334
REPLY LINK:
http://www.chrysler.com/wccs/brand_forms/us/reply.jsp?trk_ID=KMM5950584I25261L0KM&"

To which I replied:

"Dear Mike:

Thank you for your reply.

Please advise as to when I might expect to hear the results of the review to
be conducted by the appropriate department.

In the meantime, I and many others are holding our breath hoping that we can shift out of PARK the next time we go to a drive-thru window!

Sincerely,
Eugene C. Heydt, owner 2005 Chrysler 300C"

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Was talking to a tow truck driver today. He told me they tow 5 300's a week with this problem. He said that the dealer told him that Chrysler will probably issue a recall on the plastic part and replace it with a metal part. We can only keep our fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
LOOK AT WHAT i JUST GOT FROM CHRYSLER CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE!

A SURVEY! WHAT A POS! TO WIT:

"Thank you for taking the time to help us improve our service to you. Please select the choice that most closely represents your feeling regarding each of the following questions.
1. Considering your most recent visit to our website, please rate how easy your experience was in submitting your email to us?
Very Easy
Easy
Normal
Difficult
Very Difficult
2. Keeping in mind the reason you originally contacted us, please choose the option that best reflects your feelings regarding the final outcome to your issue, question or complaint
I am completely satisfied with the final outcome/answer
I am somewhat satisfied with the final outcome/answer
I am neither satisfied nor dissatisfied with the final outcome/answer
I am somewhat dissatisfied with the final outcome/answer
I am completely dissatisfied with the final outcome/answer
3. Did your email require contact by telephone to address your question or issue?
Yes
No
4. Regarding the initial (first) reply you received in response to your email to us, how thoroughly did our representative answer your question or handle your issue?
My question/issue was handled completely
My question/issue was handled mostly
My question/issue was handled moderately
My question/issue was handled partially
My question/issue was not handled at all
5. When answering this question, please consider the final outcome of your issue, question or complaint separately. How satisfied are you with the level of attention you feel your email received?
I am completely satisfied with the effort made
I am somewhat satisfied with the effort made
I am neither satisfied nor dissatisfied with the effort made
I am somewhat not satisfied with the effort made
I am completely not satisfied with the effort made
6. Based solely on the level of attention you received from our representative, how likely are you to recommend our products or services to friends & family?
Definitely will recommend
Most likely recommend
Not certain if I would or would not recommend
Most likely not recommend
Definitely will not recommend"

THESE GUYS ARE ON SOME OTHER PLANT! THEIR ANSWER WAS B.S., AND THEY NEVER ANSWERED MY QUESTION AS TO WHEN I COULD EXPECT THE RESULTS OF THEIR 'REVIEW'.
TAKE YOUR SURVEY AND SHOVE IT C. C. A.!
I AM GOING TO REPLY IN THE NEGATIVE TO ALL OF THE QUESTIONS, MAYBE SOMEONE WILL WAKE UP.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Additional Message to Mike of C. C. A.

"Hey Mike!

Ah, you guys gotta be kidding, right? It's 8:30 on a Saturday night and you
send
me a survey (see below). I must be something special to get that kind of
attention!

Listen, just fix the crappy plastic "pink thingy" PARK LOCK OUT MECHANISM
and skip the self-gratifying survey smoke screen.

I did complete the survey, all to the negative as you guys haven't done a
freakin' thing!

By this time next week, in order to avoid a bad situation when I least need
it, I will have replaced mine with one made of metal. See the attached bare
metal version (file 'IMG_2091 cropped.jpg'), and the same piece (attached
file 'IMG_2093 cropped.jpg') painted pink in deference to the original pink
plastic piece of junk.

Hopefully the plastic one holds out until I get around to ripping the
interior of my car apart to do preventive maintenance on a 10-cent piece of
plastic crap."

·
Registered