Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning, These days the 300C is my occasional car, about 4 weeks ago i put it in the garage, and today the gearbox is stuck in P.
I tried the secret pink tab hidden next to the gearbox and it clicks appropriately but doest fix the problem, so its not the interlock, it seems to be actually physically stuck.
anyone got any ideas ?
regards

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,741 Posts
Welcome back, stranger!

You seem to be yet another victim of the broken "pink thingy". Not to be confused with the secret pink tab. The hidden pink tab only works if the problem is electrical, rather than mechanical. There is a pink plastic mechanical interlock, with a restraining spring in the shift assembly. The lug attached to the spring is prone to break and when it happens you will be stuck in park. It is possible to release the interlock by use of a screwdriver as a "get- you-home" solution, but a permanent solution requires a replacement part and many owners have managed to fit this themselves.

There are many posts on this problem and you may like to start here: Gear lever stuck in park

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Evening Mr Devilmaycare, glad to see you are still at it, thanks for the good advice, I will start reading up on this subject immediately.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi elpirata!

As you will see from my post, I suffered the same fate a few months ago.
I ended up creating a dedicated website with step-by-step instructions for this problem. Have a look and see if it helps. I've had no problems since the fix.
Pink thingy

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou Mr Feichter, i will study all of your information, I am just pleased that it sounds like nothing serious, when it first happened and the pink tab didnt work i was quite worried that I may have a real mechanical lock which could have been interesting and expensive.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4 hours it took me tonight to actually remove the gear shifter box, it was fighting me every step of the way, as i finally lifted it out the spring fell out and i can hear a loose piece of plastic inside, so thats pretty conclusive, tomorrow i take it apart and wait for the new part to come, thanks guys.

·
Registered
250 Posts
4 hours it took me tonight to actually remove the gear shifter box, it was fighting me every step of the way, as i finally lifted it out the spring fell out and i can hear a loose piece of plastic inside, so thats pretty conclusive, tomorrow i take it apart and wait for the new part to come, thanks guys.
Yes, not the easiest of jobs....

·
Registered
250 Posts
P. S. :
If you have ordered the aluminium part, I suggest you re-use the original spring and not the new one that comes with the part. I think that is why my gear selector does not go all the way back to 'P' making it impossible to take the key out. (see my webpage)
I have now got used to pushing the gear selector the 2-3mm to the left to release the key. I now do it without thinking.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Mr Feichter, yes i ordered the aluminium one though your link yesterday, and noted about the spring, impatient to get it now as basically the car is a huge paperweight, does it come quickly?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Mr Feichter / Mr Devilmaycare,
the new part is installed in the box and I am trying to fit the shifter unit in the car,
hooking the back part of the box over the 2 fixed bolts but under the plastic trim near cup holder seems impossible as there no room, any tricks that you remember ?
best wishes

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's important you take your time...
If you can't get it in, try to undo the bolts on the floor of the center console arm rest (I seem to remember there are three). Then also undo the two bolts in each of the foot wells (one on each side). This should then allow you to lift the center console from the back (by the rear ashtray) just enough to wiggle the unit in. You may need an assistant for this.
Have remembered to re-connect the two electrical connections? Also, make sure the gear selector is in neutral.
If you still have trouble, ping me your number and I'll ring you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thankyou they are all top tips.
i will investigate removing the centre console bolts as suggested.
electrical conectors - yes i have refitted 2, but there seems to be a third socket just above the left hand black connector which is unused..
actually i have it in park so the cable from the front can be hooked over, why did you say neutral, as i didnt read that?.
thanks very much and it might be a good idea to speak if no progress made indeed.
best wishes
John

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am pretty sure it needs to be in neutral otherwise the lever hits the centre console (where the ashtray is).
I don't remember seeing another connector... maybe for some accessory?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks Mr Feichter, its done now just closing up.
I removed the 3 screws under the centre console as you suggested, it worked like charm, I lifted it a bit and it took about 2 secs.
FYI the lever in P was nowhere near the ashtray.
Many thanks again John

·
Registered
250 Posts
Excellent! Glad it worked out.
Now when you put the ignition on, the car goes through a 'reset' procedure. At least mine did. I think this is because the solenoid at the back of the gear assembly needs to be re-charged.
I would be interested to know if yours did.
Also, do you now have the same issue as me with the key not coming out, unless I push the gear selector all the way to the left?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
i didn't notice any reset procedure, just the fuel pump running for a bit etc, but I might have missed it.
all seems to be working normally. correct position displayed on the screen etc.
i used the old spring as you suggested and as a result the key comes out normally without any further action.
this all happened because i tried to take it to the garage for them to look at the braking system, because what i thought was the creeper system not working properly turned out to be the front left brake binding, now after a weeks delay i will try to do that again.
I have steadily been trying over the last year to improve the standard of this car having had the wheels done again, new wheelnuts, new tyres, quite a lot of paint, all the plastic undertrays replaced, various fuel and oil leaks fixed, door seals. all sorts of things, and the irony is that i dont really drive it as its the spare.
can i see a pic of yours ?
tempImagenrKbou.jpg
tempImageu37DBH.jpg

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
2,741 Posts
Glad you managed to fix the pinky thing. I've been taking note of all the posts on this topic for several years now and wondering when my turn will come. However, I do carry a replacement part in the car, just in case. As I'm driving less than 1k miles per annum and have another car - a 25yr old Audi A4 1.9TDi, I'm not inclined to do much at the moment. I might add that my ancient Audi is much more reliable than the 300C - probably because it's less complicated. For example, I've never had any problems with the auto gearbox.

Your 300C is looking pristine and does you credit. What is the "creeper system"? Have you recently had new brake pads fitted? If so, you could have a sticking piston - a common problem with these cars.

Why did you need quite a lot of paint?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hello Mr Devilmaycare, it does seem a terrible design and obvious that it would fail when you see it.
the creeper system is when the car moves slowly forward when you are in D and take your foot off the brake, it started to not move forward.
its possible I have new brake pads fitted, I dont really know, I have this relationship with my mechanic where i just give it to him with a vague idea of what needs doing, and he fixes everything that needs it without either side worrying about the timescale or the price, it works quite well.
there was lots of small marks on the paint and a failing top clear coat in some areas, so he did quite a few panels (he does bodywork and repairs)
have you any pictures of yours for me to see and which part of the world are you and Mr Feichter from?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts